-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
I have three Savage 1907/1915 holsters, two brown and one black, that I assume are military with two clip holder pockets on each one. Two have snaps on the clip pocket straps and one has button holes and little brown half rounded buttons; the button down one has AE stamped in the back and the others have no markings. Of the snap ones, the brown one has plain snaps (well worn) and the black one has snaps with a little four-pointed flowerlike designs with dots between the "petals".

Does anyone know what service each of these may have been used in or if the differences just represent different dates or places of manufacture?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Phil in Northwest Arkansas
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
According to what I have read the holsters were made to carry the .32 caliber model 1907's sold to France & Portugal during WWI. There is a mystery as to who manufactured them. No records exist even though some were shipped to Europe in the holsters. Books say most likely Portugal manufactured them for themselves and France. Savage military holsters are supposed to be stamped with an "A.E." acceptance stamp on the back.

Do yours have them?

Because there is documentation that other holsters supplied to Germany during the war for Luger's have the same stamp and are confirmed from Portugal then the theory is that these also came from Portugal. These also came with a Sam Brown type of belt and shoulder strap. Two types of attachments exist to connect the holster to the belt. One is a leather loop, the other has two brass hooks. There is also a very rare add on magazine holder for the belt. These are seldom seen.

The one featured in a book I have have the brass knob like yours on the left instead of the snaps like the two on the right. I do not know enough about them to know what the significance is.

I hope this helps.

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The picture that Calhoun posted from the Cody Museum in the other thread also has the brass knob/through slit type of closure instead of the snap.

The different colors are fine, they came in three colors: Raw leather, brown and black.

Last edited by ROMAC; 05/27/09.

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by ROMAC
According to what I have read the holsters were made to carry the .32 caliber model 1907's sold to France & Portugal during WWI. There is a mystery as to who manufactured them. No records exist even though some were shipped to Europe in the holsters. Books say most likely Portugal manufactured them for themselves and France. Savage military holsters are supposed to be stamped with an "A.E." acceptance stamp on the back.

Do yours have them?

Because there is documentation that other holsters supplied to Germany during the war for Luger's have the same stamp and are confirmed from Portugal then the theory is that these also came from Portugal. These also came with a Sam Brown type of belt and shoulder strap. Two types of attachments exist to connect the holster to the belt. One is a leather loop, the other has two brass hooks. There is also a very rare add on magazine holder for the belt. These are seldom seen.

The one featured in a book I have have the brass knob like yours on the left instead of the snaps like the two on the right. I do not know enough about them to know what the significance is.

I hope this helps.

The holster with the button straps does have AE stamped on the back opposite the bottom of the main flap strap; the others have no stamp on the back. The button (I say button because one is missing) is not brass but is some composition material medium brown in color. It was apparently cast or molded around a little loop of wire with crossed ends because the loop is still there on the side that is missing the button top.

Other than the fasteners, the three holsters appear identical in pattern and stitching and they all have a tube of leather stitched inside the front/slide side of the holster - perhaps for a cleaning rod or brush. If these were not 100 years old I might think the ones without the AE stamp were Chinese copies, but given the age there must be some other explanation. Perhaps the snaps are a little later design than the buttons?

I also found this neat little belt holster on ebay (much cheaper than the military holsters) that I keep the 1915 in; it is marked "LEWIS L.A.CAL." on the back at the top. Anyone have any idea how old it might be?

[Linked Image]

Phil in Northwest Arkansas
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Phil -

Your 3 holsters appear to be proper military holsters for the M1907 (no records have been found of a M1915 being sold for military use). The holsters came with either snaps or buttons. A large quantity of them came on the market in the last 5 years - supposedly part of a 'crate' of over 400 that someone found in Europe. It contained both types in all 3 color/finishes. People were paying over $100 prior to the 'find' and less than $25 afterwards. I would check the other two for a faint AE marking - it is probably there somewhere.

Jim

IC B2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 21, 222Sako, 222ND, 69 invisible), 2,482 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,243
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.