Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R
rustjrm Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
thanks for all the help I have talked to my daughter and she will stick with 11o accubond. Proven deer load just pick my shot she said. She had to laugh when I said no Texas heart shots. thanks again...jeff

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Here's a 25-06 elk, 100 graing barnes X, one shot.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Guppy...! grin

Couldn't you of held out for a big one Greenie...grins

Great bull, and thx 4 sharing!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, a man shouldn't shoot them scrub elk wink grin

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by rustjrm
My daughter who is rather small wants to us her 25 for elk. any good loads for this critter. thanks all.

Try 115 or 120 grain partition pushed by H4831 or RL22. I forget what my loads were so I won't quote a charge, but they were max or half grain off in the Nosler manual.

Alternate bullet choices would be the 120 grain grand slam and 115 grain trophy bonded, but those two heavier partitions have a better BC ... plus I have a little more experience with 'em. I know the speers are ok, but I know more firmly the noslers are ok. smile

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That is a great elk Greenhorn! Good see someone who uses the 25-06 on elk, it just makes my decision to go with a 25-06 that much better.

Rob
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Greenhorn
Here's a 25-06 elk, 100 graing barnes X, one shot.
[Linked Image]

Greenhorn: Last day bull,huh?................kidding of course wink

Fabulous bull.Congrats! Reagrdless what you used...

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
It's always interesting that on these threads many people make a big point of about precisely or carefull placing a shot with the .25-06--or whatever "too light" cartridge is being discussed.

The implication is that with bigger cartridges such careful shot placement isn't necessary. I know that's not what most posters want to imply, but there it is.

My experience is that with CAREFUL shot placement about any cartridge meant for big game will kill elk neatly--and that no cartridge kills elk very well with "non-careful" bullet placement.

JB: True.......I know from personal experience that improperly "driven" 300 mags do NOT get good results.

I think that bigger cartridges can give pretty dramatic results, but ONLY if properly directed.....and with good boolits.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
R
rustjrm Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
my daughter says it friken huge. cant wait.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
dawaba,

I think you lack expeience with the 100 grain TSX. One of the bulles was shot in the left ham. The bullet was found in the right shoulder. The elk was DRT. Is that not enough peneraration?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
It tickles me to read of these "thats too small a cartridge" for elk or moose or whatever comments. Alot of locals as we always read use 243's orwhatnot to kill elk every year. Funny thing is I bet all of them are better than average shots and actually do wait for a broadside presentation. Never occured to them that there are better things to use. FWIW about any 100-120 gr boolit out of a 25/06 will kill any elk alive with a broadside shot.
Good luck to to your daughter and post pics.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A .25-06 wouldn't be my first choice for elk, but it wouldn't be my last, either.

Most years I hunt deer and elk in the same season and after I get my first elk I often switch to my backup rifle. This year I'll have a cow and a bull tag and my backup rifle will likely be my .257 Roberts. Whether it's loaded with 100g TTSX, 110g AccuBond, 115g TSX or 120g A-Frames, I wouldn't hesitate to fill my second elk tag with it. I just wouldn't try it at longer ranges where I would be comfortable using my 7mm RM or .300 WM.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Good point! Dunno why I wrote it that way - I tend to be too slow and deliberate about my aiming most of the time anyway - trying for the "perfect" shot has occasionally cost me game as it decided to leave while I was getting set for that perfect shot... Am faster at it these days, after learning that critters don't stick around forever!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Just one more note on this thread. I know an outfitter from northwestern Canada who uses the .25-06 by preference as a back-up rifle when guiding hunters after not just sheep and caribou, but moose and grizzly as well. This outfitter has several hunting rifles but likes the .25-06 because it doesn't kick much, is very accurate, and seems to do the job just as well as larger cartridges. The outfitter's preferred load is the factory 120-grain Core-Lokt Remington ammo. That load has finished off a a number of moose and grizzlies that were wounded by dude hunters shooting .300 and .338 magnums.

Oh, and by the way this outfitter is a woman. As my wife Eileen says, when the BS gets a little too deep around hunting camp, "Why do men need a larger cartridge than women do to kill the same game?"

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Elmer Keith must be rolling in his grave right about now.
(grin)

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Rustjrm: I have three friends who Hunt Elk with the 25/06 Remington cartridge.
They are ALL extremely successful!
I was assisting one of these friends about 5 years ago as he harvested a VERY MATURE 7x7 Bull Elk with his 25/06 Remington!
Another one of these friends has killed more Bull and Cow Elk than 99% of all the living Elk Hunters have individually ever killed! He kills an "average" of 2 Elk per year (he hunts two states) and has used his 25/06 almost exclusively for the last 35+ years now. He has also been known to "help" kill "an Elk or two" for elderly and incapacitated neighbors of his who are able to buy tags but not much for humin the hills.
I could go on and on about their exploits but no need - whats important is their intensity of effort and their abilities and patience to be able to place a 25/06 bullet in the heart/lungs area of their intended Elk quarry!
Its just that simple!
No excuses, caveats, tangents, alibis or other escape clauses - they shoot their Rifles well and they kill Elk!
There IS a contingent of folks that automatically assume "small" caliber cartridges CAN NOT do things that they absolutely can do - I don't know what motivates these types?
Do have your daughter practice often with her Rifle and make sure that what ever bullet she uses she places it into the heart/lungs area of the Elk.
Then help her enjoy the fine Elk meat!
Two of my three friends use Remington factory ammunition of the 120 grain variety in their 25/06's and the third handloads his 25/06 with Nosler Partions.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is finishing off and finishing off.

Differantiating between delivering a coup de grace and stopping an incoming grizzly, I will man up to admit that I (think I confused ) need a larger cartridge than this woman to kill the same game.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Just one more note on this thread. I know an outfitter from northwestern Canada who uses the .25-06 by preference as a back-up rifle when guiding hunters after not just sheep and caribou, but moose and grizzly as well. This outfitter has several hunting rifles but likes the .25-06 because it doesn't kick much, is very accurate, and seems to do the job just as well as larger cartridges. The outfitter's preferred load is the factory 120-grain Core-Lokt Remington ammo. That load has finished off a a number of moose and grizzlies that were wounded by dude hunters shooting .300 and .338 magnums.

Oh, and by the way this outfitter is a woman. As my wife Eileen says, when the BS gets a little too deep around hunting camp, "Why do men need a larger cartridge than women do to kill the same game?"

She wouldn't be Heidi G., would she? If so, she is tougher than any man in B.C. If her .25-06 doesn't drop the grizzly, she'll just stop it with her bare hands....

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The most Elk killed by one man in Idaho that I know personally was done with a 25-06 and Nosler Partitions second only to the .270 Winchester with the same bullet.

A local man that works in the woods of Central Idaho.

Jayco

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

609 members (10GaugeKS, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 1_deuce, 64 invisible), 2,192 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,286
Posts18,448,724
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.