Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I just finished reading 2 years worth of threads about slings on this site, and haven't found the answer I'm looking for. I've seen recommendations for all the slings I've owned, heard of, and a few I haven't. I even saw Emericus' idea of adding a third swivel stud in front of the guard screw, but I'm not interested in doing that to my rifle. I'm out of ideas.

I need a sling for my Kimber Montana...nylon preferably (light weight), comfortable to carry, stays in place, and a true SLING, not carry strap (a sling has a loop used to steady the rifle).

Here's what I've tried so far:

Montana Sling--great carry strap, not so good for steadying the rifle, and it's leather instead of nylon (heavier).

Brownells Latigo--wonderful, but again, leather.

Butler Creek Mountain Sling--like the weight, price, and the way it stays in place with the rubber backing, but it's a carry strap.

Outdoor Connections Super Sling-- Might have to settle for this, it's nylon and has a loop, but can be complicated until you get used to it, and it lacks the "stickiness" of the Mountain Sling.

Is there a sling made for me? Preferably combining the Latigo design with the lighter weight nylon and rubber backing of the Mountain Sling?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Maybe Im missing something here, but I can't imagine a significant weight difference between leather and nylon in a rifle sling. For me the "staying in place" issue would dictate a leather one.

Good luck in your search....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by oldslowdog

Maybe Im missing something here, but I can't imagine a significant weight difference between leather and nylon in a rifle sling. For me the "staying in place" issue would dictate a leather one.

Good luck in your search....

The difference can be as much as 1/2 lb or more according to my scale. Personally, I've never understood the logic of a heavy leather sling on a light synthetic rifle (or honking scopes).

I've used the (formerly) Uncle Mikes Mountain Sling (now Butler Creek) for over fifteen years. They typically weigh 3.5 oz's, hang on your shoulder and work well as a Hasty Sling.

Would add, the Mountain Sling has significantly more "gription" (good ole' boy term) than any leather sling I've used.

If there's a more perfectly matched sling rifle combo than the Montana and Mountain Sling, I'm not aware what it could be.

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
You could always get a G.I. sling with the J-hook in the back. Nylon, and easy to use as a loop sling.

Travis

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Brad,
I do like the Mountain sling, but I wish they'd make the loop bigger so you could have the loop in front and use it to steady the rifle. Doing that they would need to change the location of the "gription" material as well. Slap a keeper on it and it's what I'm looking for.

IC B2

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
If you have a Latigo sling and like it (but want to reduce weight), I don't see why you can't get a length of 1" nylon from the store and copy the design.

Either use brass rivets, or take the brass screws off the latigo.

just a thought....

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I've been using the Ching sling variants on a couple of rifles. I've put the extra stud in two rifles and don't have a problem with that but certainly understand why you might be reluctant to go that route. Ching himself (he's gone now) redesigned his original sling to overcome the 3rd stud objection. Here's his write up on the Ching Sling II. http://home.netcom.com/~chingesh/SCSling.html I have one of these as well and it works as advertised.
There is a link to Galco in the article. As far as I know, they are the only ones making it. It is leather though and may not meet your weight requirements.

This link takes you to someone who makes the original style - good explanation of it's use. Andy Langlois is the maker and he does excellent work. http://www.shottist.com/ching.htm

FWIW, I read somewhere that Ching didn't actually design it as much as he reworked a design seen on British WWI rifles.

A
A
CRounds....thanks for the good words about my slings!

FYI: Besides the www.shottist.com web pages I have the Scoutrifle.org forum up and running, a small contingent of die-hard
riflemen and scout fanatics. As luck would have it, I have a monthly drawing for a free sling, peruse till you find it or go directly there: http://www.scoutrifle.org/index.php/board,18.0.html

PM me or email if you have any questions.

Thanks again Chuck!

Andy

Andy
www.andysleather.com (Ching Slings and more)
www.scoutrifle.org (Scout Forum!)
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Rockchucker.. I notice you say this..
"Montana Sling--great carry strap, not so good for steadying the rifle, and it's leather instead of nylon (heavier)."

Can't say that I've seen one better/faster for steadying the rifle, and quick to adjust. I've had one on one of my rifles for years, and just purchased another to put on my main hunting rifle. Very durable and made or leather, haven't weighed it, but it doesn't appeart to be any heavier than my old Butler Creek nylon. Most of my hunting is backpack hunting and I do watch the weight, but don't see a couple ounces in the sling making much of a difference at all. I highly recommend checking out this one.. www.montanagunslings.com

Made in Montana..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
After many years of training and shooting USMC M14s and M40s using a leather sling, I'm fairly particular myself. But, absent a custom rifle stock that is modified to shoot under heavy sling tension, most light weight rifles are worthy of nothing more than using a hasty sling when you have little time to establish a more solid shooting position. Pushing the envelope of your skill and rifle on longer range shots, you'd be better served shooting over your pack or over a good rest w/out the aid of a sling.

As to the slings themselves, I have several of each and my average weights are as such:

The Brownells Latigo runs around 8ounces with QD swivels. The Super Sling is near as heavy and weighs just under 8ounces w/ QD swivels. The 1" stitched Montana is lighter and weighs just over 6ounces w/ QD swivels. The Mountain sling is not much lighter and weighs just around 4ounces but w/out swivels. It may actually be heavier than the 1" stitched Montana when you add the swivels. I have a light one-piece home made 1" nylon sling with a Delrin slider for adjustment used on a fixed swivel stock which IIRC weighs no more than a few ounces, but it is crude and of little value other than as a carry strap.

You can always swipe a skim coat of Aqua-Seal over the surface of the sling where you need some bite. It self-levels, is flexible, and stays put. I have some applied to a nylon sling that has stayed in place for several years.

My choice for the best material is leather as no synthetic works as well for carry and no synthetic works as well when using the sling as a shooting aid. My choice for the best of the lighter leather slings is the 1" stitched Montana. Best overall functioning would probably be the heavier Brownell's Latigo. But, I do use the Mountain sling on two light rifles with fixed swivels, and I do use the Super Sling on a couple of rifles. Each one has good and bad points, but they all can be made to work exceedingly well.

Best

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Greenhorn,
I'm not knocking the Montana...I've got one and think it's very well made, but it isn't desingned as a true sling with a loop to wrap around your upper arm to aid in shooting. The Brownell Latigo wins over the Montana in that Category.

GaryVA,
I understand what you're saying on the nylon/leather weights. It's not just weight though. I've got Kifau packs and use both a sling and the gunbearer at different times. I think the nylon would be less bulky if I left it attached to the rifle when using the gunbearer, and would definitely be less bulky when rolled up in a pants/pack pocket.

As far as needing the loop...well I probably don't, but I WANT the loop. Even when shooting off a pack/tree/rest, I try to loop up. It might not be necessary, but it helps ME. Others might find it needless and a waste of time.

Maybe you can't have it all. I might have to get some webbing, rivets, swivels, and make my own. I was hoping that what I want is already out there and I just hadn't found it yet.

Last edited by RockChucker30; 06/04/09.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Outdoor Connection 1.25" Super Sling 2, TALON Swivels at Walmart. I prefer the Montana sling. Using a military style sling is great at the base range. I've never used one that way in the field.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd like to know if I'm following you on the "loop". Are you speaking in terms of a classic modified extra length leather GI sling with keepers and frogs? This sling is re-configured per Master Gunnery Sergeant Jim Owens instructions for a "no pulse" sling which he taught Marines for advanced marksmanship. This was how I was trained to make a loop. Turner Saddlery or Brownells Competitor Plus would be good choices for this type of sling. Outside of this, other disciplines of marksmanship utilize slings that have a built-in cuff that is affixed to the upper arm in the same manner as the Jim Owens technique. All of those would be too bulky for hunting purposes. But, a company under the name of Tactical Intervention developed a Quick Cuff-Precision Sling for Military and LEO usage made from mil-spec nylon. It has a detachable arm band that quickly hooks to the main sling when needed. Again as I noted earlier, I think such a cuff would be of little value when hunting with a light rifle.

As to the Montana sling, I'm not sure we are talking about the same model. I use a 1" stitched version that rolls up to a size smaller than the palm of my hand. When rolled up it makes an oval less than 5 inches long by 2 1/2 inches wide by 1 inch tall. The sling is made from one continuous length of leather strap stitched on one end. To compare, it is actually easier to pack than a Nylon Super Sling because the Super Sling is made from a longer length of strap, and has 4 Chicago screws, a stitched and stapled keeper, and a metal buckle in its configuration. As to a basic loop, the Montana makes an infinitely adjustable loop to stick your arm through, but it does not have a keeper to cinch the loop against the upper arm. Such a keeper is not needed for such a hasty loop, but you could easily stitch a keeper in place but it would slow down the sling adjustment.

The lightest I could see you go would be to use a one inch nylon strap and duplicate the Montana sling. Use a slide buckle to replace the Montana slip knot. From this you could add a simple cuff made from the same nylon strap. Possibly use velcro to make a quick cuff around the upper arm.

Hope this helps.

Later

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Hey Brad,

I found you a leather sling that might just be "a half pound or more" heavier than nylon (soaking wet that is). There's even room for you to have your name stamped in beneath the deer smile

[Linked Image]

But if we are talking a one inch sling of leather vs nylon I think the difference is an ounce or two at most (at least on all the ones I got).

If Rockchucker30 is one of those who cuts off the handles off of toothbrushes when he goes backpacking and the extra ounce of weight is just too much than we start heading down the road of impractical minutia.

Come to think of it, down that road lies far more weighty issues: TSX vs Accubond, .7-08 vs 308, etc........ smile

PS I don't work in a pawn shop and no, this is not my gun.

I
IAK Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Have never used this sling, but read some good reviews about it. Maybe this is what you are looking for.

http://www.riflesonly.com/store/TAB/elite_sling.html

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Gary,
By loop I mean a loop that can go around your upper support arm, with little to no pressure on the butt sling swivel. The tension goes from the forestock to the arm and ends there. Doesn't have to be a true military sling for that. The montana sling I've got (with the continuous sliding miracle knot) isn't long enough for me to do this.

oldslowdog,
No toothbrush handle cutting off for me. I'd rather get in better shape......or use my finger to brush my teeth!

I appreciate the replies. Good discussion.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I just weighed the two leather Cobra Slings I use with Jeff Cooper's "CW Sling" method. One, my favorite because it's softer, and grips the upper arm better, weighs 5 ozs. with Micheal's Flush Cup Studs. The other goes 6.5 ozs. w/ studs.
I've used a bunch of nylon slings over the years. None of them are worth nearly as much as a good leather shooting sling. I've never found one that I can lock up the rifle and have it stay put no matter what I do with it.
I put up with the classic leather military sling for years. They work beautifully, but they are much slower than the CW system. The one I have runs about 8 ozs.
I use mine on my light, custom mtn. rifles. I use the military sling on my iron sighted .22 and some others. I will not have a rifle that won't take a shooting sling. Literally worth it's weight in gold when you are out of breath, he's in a full run and way out there. I've done it over and over.
Good luck on your quest. I've tried for over 30 yrs. to find what you seek. The CW Sling is the place where I've ended up. E

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Consider the Kifaru Gun Bearer system. I have used the Butler Ck slings for years and they are probably tops for use as a carrying sling (as opposed to a shooting sling). Have been using the Kifaru system for the last four years and I consider it far superior to a simple sling. There are several reasons for this - first, you do not have a sling flapping around when the rifle is in your hands. Secondly, bringing the rifle to your shoulder is faster and requires less position revealing movement than with the rifle slung on your shoulder.

My 7-08 Montana rides well in the gunbearer.

Check out kifaru.net

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
http://estore.websitepros.com/1635340/StoreFront.bok

I like these for light rifles. The thermoplastic allows you to actually use the sling, unlike those carrying straps.

Carries well, and makes a rifle seem lighter than it is.

P
pjf Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I use a safari sling because it is the most comfortable sling I have found for carrying a rifle. The rifle is always ready to lift to your shoulder to shoot. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to loop it around your arm to steady your aim. There is a picture of one on Cabela's website.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

132 members (35, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 41rem, 13 invisible), 1,262 guests, and 855 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,454
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.