Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bricktop
Originally Posted by safariman
250 Savage brass was not readily available localy and I just changed bank accounts with a 2 week plus wait for my new debit card to get here, shredded all my credit cards 6 months ago and most of all I am quite impatient when I want to go play with a new toy!
And yet you had the time and funds to buy dies. Great plan. smirk

You should just simplify and buy .30-06 brass and a hacksaw.

Dies I found locally. Not a money problem, only of a patience problem and nothing locally.

BTW, all of my digits are still attatched and the new cases work GREAT! Gonna make some more tomorrow.

Loaded up some Barnes 80 gr TTSX's over various amounts of R-15. If only I had not shot clean through my chronograph when testing my 358 loads recently. smile

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dies I found locally.
Really? confused

I ordered a set of dies for mine that will be here today.
So did you buy your dies locally or did you order them? confused

Not a money problem, only of a patience problem and nothing locally.
And as stated previously, great plan. I really don't know why anyone bothers with buying more than one or two basic cases anyway. With a hacksaw and dies you should be able to form a wide variety of cases from the basic .30-06 hull as well as the .375 H&H case.

all of my digits are still attatched
Were you able to understand any part of my previous post? I don't recall stating an issue of losing any of your dick skinners. The .22-250 hull uses a longer datum, which equates to tight chambering in some guns if they're chambered somewhat short.

If only I had not shot clean through my chronograph when testing my 358 loads recently.
You sound like a lot of fun. You should try piling the case as full of powder as you can. Give me a call before you touch off the round, because I'm always looking for cheap entertainment.

For someone who's supposed to be a "professional" of sorts in the shooting sports, your knowledge of firearms and handloading seems to be in a realm all its own. smirk

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Apparently, the re-sized .22-250 brass worked fine in his gun and he'll be able to use 'em up instead of buying new .250 Savage cases. Makes sense to me. I guess we can all relax now.

I load for a trio of the original Savage .250-3000s. I try to keep pressures down a little in the old guns. My standard loading in the .250 Savage is 33 grains of RL-15 and a 100 grain Speer Hot Core. Lately I've been loading one of my guns with the same bullet and 35 grains of Big Game powder. So far I like the combination. I'm getting 2,700 fps and very good accuracy. I've yet to try increasing the powder charge to get to 2800 fps. I like the Ramshot powders because they meter so easily and, like RL-15, they work well in the 10 to 20 below zero temperatures I often hunt in.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mw406
Apparently, the re-sized .22-250 brass worked fine in his gun and he'll be able to use 'em up instead of buying new .250 Savage cases. Makes sense to me.
Yeah, you're right, those .250-3000 hulls are SOOOOOO expensive. And they're SOOOOOO hard to get. whistle

http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/WINBrass.shtml
http://www.grafs.com/product/253141
http://www.lockstock.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RBR250
http://www.lockstock.com/prodinfo.asp?number=WBR250SAV

It really does sound like an EXCELLENT plan. And he sounds very knowledgeable about rifles, particularly considering his chosen vocation. I am truly in AWE.

I'd be willing to share my .250-3000 data from my 99EG and my Remington 700, but what more is there to add?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Welcome back Johnny... smile

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
What's your problem, Brickhead?

We don't appreciate your brand of childish behaviour around the Savage Fire.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
DNFTT

Anyone here found the maximum OAL for getting spitzer point bullets to feed reliably in these 250 Sav 99's ? When I try to load them anywhere near max for the magazine or somewhat close to the lands and grooves the bullets hang up on the feed ramp. Maybe it doesn't matter as much as I am worrying about since I am not tring to load for a 1/2 inch varmint rifle. Still, what have ya'll found for a good OAL?

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Apparently, the re-sized .22-250 brass worked fine in his gun and he'll be able to use 'em up instead of buying new .250 Savage cases. Makes sense to me. I guess we can all relax now.

I load for a trio of the original Savage .250-3000s. I try to keep pressures down a little in the old guns. My standard loading in the .250 Savage is 33 grains of RL-15 and a 100 grain Speer Hot Core. Lately I've been loading one of my guns with the same bullet and 35 grains of Big Game powder. So far I like the combination. I'm getting 2,700 fps and very good accuracy. I've yet to try increasing the powder charge to get to 2800 fps. I like the Ramshot powders because they meter so easily and, like RL-15, they work well in the 10 to 20 below zero temperatures I often hunt in.

Agree 100% on the idea of keeping pressures low in the older rifles. No need to make them into something they are not. If I want a speedburner I can pick up my 257ROY. This will be a fun, lightweight rifle for sneaking around with and popping a deer at short to moderate range. Man, I wish it was deer season already! This rifle will also be perfect for collecting bait Impala's for Leopard hunting and putting a big hurt on a troupe of Baboons. Gotta go now, my itchy trigger finger is making it hard to type! smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
2.515, IIRC

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
THANKS! I will try this OAL.

BigBear, hope you do not feel as though your great thread has been hijacked, lots of good info flowing here. thanks for posting and getting this started.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anyone here found the maximum OAL for getting spitzer point bullets to feed reliably in these 250 Sav 99's ? When I try to load them anywhere near max for the magazine or somewhat close to the lands and grooves the bullets hang up on the feed ramp. Maybe it doesn't matter as much as I am worrying about since I am not tring to load for a 1/2 inch varmint rifle. Still, what have ya'll found for a good OAL?
Also a great money saving idea!!! Why spend money on a load manual? Just ask on the internet.

You've really given me some outstanding ideas for saving money.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Safariman, I came up with the exact same OAL in my guns as olgrouser, 2.515.

Dicktop, apparently you can't grasp the simple concept of the L.B.J. quote you include on your own posts.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Safariman, I came up with the exact same OAL in my guns as olgrouser, 2.515.

Dicktop, apparently you can't grasp the simple concept of the L.B.J. quote you include on your own posts.
Huh? I have absolutely praised safariman's approach to reloading. He hasn't consulted a manual, he's formed his own brass instead of buying some, what's not to like about the "can do" spirit? whistle

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
olgrouser and MW406,

Maximum OAL of 2.515 did not want to load and feed in my very old brass rotary magazine rifle. Tip points hit and snag on the feed ramp. Book max must be max, period, for all known rifles so chambered such as later model 99's and maybe the model 20 bolt actions and such. Playing around with OAL's I have come to a max for my rifle anyway of 2.490 to ensure reliable feeding. Perhaps with the round nose bullets so commonly used back then the 2.515 would have worked.

In thinking about this situation perhaps mine is set up different than most as it was built the very first year of the 250/3000 cartridge's introduction 1914. Not at all uncommon for a rifle or a car or anything new and mechanical to morph a time or two after a new initial introduction. The geometry and such on these brass rotary magazines is pretty touchy I have heard. For sure I will not be taking a rat tail file to my little rifles innards!

Short OAL distraction aside, the more I handle this rifle the better I like it. Becoming a confirmed Savage model 99 addict and the next few nice model 99's I find and bring home will probably find a nest in my safe. These things are COOL!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Safariman, one of my .250-3000s dates to 1915, the other two are 1916. All three function fine with the 2.515 COAL. I wouldn't worry too much about seating bullets out as far as possible. In these guns it probably doesn't make a whole lot of accuracy difference.

Has your .250-3000 shown any signs of case head separation due to the chamber being overly large? I have one that I have to neck size only or the cases split after a couple of firings. Even neck sizing, I only reload the cases four times and toss them out. Just something to watch for.

Here's my three .250-3000s. The first two are 1916 and the bottom one 1915. I use the top one for coyotes shooting 87 grain Speer bullets. I load the middle one with 100 grain Speers and use it for deer and antelope. The bottom one I only shoot occasionally. It's in nearly perfect condition and one of three Savage 1899s I own that I consider true collector quality pieces. The rest of them get used.

[Linked Image]

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Very nice rifles, top one looks like it has some nice wood in the stock.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WOW! Those are some terrific looking rifles! Before I came across my rifle I had never seen the perchbelly stock style on a model 99 and you have THREE of 'em.... There must have been a good Savage dealer and salesman out your way 90 or so years ago. Quite a collection there. Thanks for the tips and info.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Safariman, one of my .250-3000s dates to 1915, the other two are 1916. All three function fine with the 2.515 COAL. I wouldn't worry too much about seating bullets out as far as possible. In these guns it probably doesn't make a whole lot of accuracy difference.

Has your .250-3000 shown any signs of case head separation due to the chamber being overly large? I have one that I have to neck size only or the cases split after a couple of firings. Even neck sizing, I only reload the cases four times and toss them out. Just something to watch for.

Here's my three .250-3000s. The first two are 1916 and the bottom one 1915. I use the top one for coyotes shooting 87 grain Speer bullets. I load the middle one with 100 grain Speers and use it for deer and antelope. The bottom one I only shoot occasionally. It's in nearly perfect condition and one of three Savage 1899s I own that I consider true collector quality pieces. The rest of them get used.

[Linked Image]

mw406
Fantastic looking rifles,really well cared for.
And the bottom one i don't blame ya for not taking her out.
Enjoy. Again nice bunch.
Steve

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by olgrouser
Welcome back Johnny... smile

[Linked Image]

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
THAT was funny!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,903 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,357
Posts18,468,926
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.