Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I own a #1 RSI in 30-06. I get MOA groups with several loads. One with 150 gr Speer Mag Tips, 180 gr Speer Grand Slams and it also likes Federal 220 gr RN which happens to be my favorite. I love mine, it swings and carries like my O/U 12ga. If you are having issues with the stock simply glass bed it.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My .30-06 RSI is bone-stock, except for the scope, and will group factory 180gr ammo well under an inch @ 100yds - certainly close enough for any kind of hunting I do.

[Linked Image]

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by ScottM
Great posts guys.

It's fun to reflect back on your own evolution as you deal with this disease most of us seem to suffer from.

As a beginner I was all about magnums with 26" semi bull barrels and high mag scopes with bullets moving at Mach 9. Jeez, the first rifle I bought myself was a Ruger 77 300 Win Mag with the red "pad". Nothing wrong with that but probably not the best choice for a skinny kid that didn't weigh anything. Of course I couldn't have the wimpy 24" barrel, I needed a 26" semi-bull. Hell, in my know-it-all state I made fun of people who shot sensible rounds with fixed 4x's with tiny barrels and lots of wood. I would have never looked twice at a #1 RSI. Good thing we get a chance to grow up.

Don't get me wrong, I've not stopped playing with magnums or long range toys. I still play around plenty. But it ought to be worth something that I now have a bunch of single shots in the safe. Some guns I own simply because of their history. Hell I even have a 03-A3 in 35 Whelen being built as we speak. UNHEARD OF!!! And it even has open sights!

Thats why I love this game. The game doesn't change as much as we do. What phase will come next?

This is fun schitt. Scott

Scott,

I had to smile when I read the above post. As it certainly reflects maturity. smile As I look back 30 or so years ago, I realize I was much the same way as you were. All I could dream of was bigger scope, longer barrels, more horsepower... etc...

I blamed my lack of success in hunting entirely on the firearm. 'Course back then, the annual success rate in Mich was about 12%. Now one can get a deer about any time one wants to. I've since taken several and passed up more than that. smile

Funny how our perspective changes... Now HOW I take a deer is far more important than IF I take one. I always have more venison in the freezer than I can eat.

I've not taken one with an ironsighted rifle as yet, but hope to soon. I've a custom bbl'd M-700 Remington in 9x57 Mauser. I shoot 50 yr old factory ammo. It is equipped with a recv'r sight. When I accomplish that, you can bet that the next step will be hunting with one of my Ruger #1's with an NECG peep sight. A sense of accomplishment is worth far more at my age than a trophy.

Live a little... Challenge yourself! grin

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
GH, would that apply to ladies as well? The older I get, I like to at least bag one every once in a while! Ok, just kidding.....on second thought wink

Hope all is well in Michigan, hey keep bringing Venison home, lots of folks needing to eat up there with record unemployment. Perhaps hunting will increase now?

I am with you, would like to do the NECG thing, and wish I would have never sold my RSI 243. Perhaps my K1A will get one someday, will have to use some 156/160s.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Here mine in 7x57. I've talked about this piece before in various threads and it's surely a finicky rig. Like others have said, when that barrel heats up, weird things can happen. Some bullets simply do not work well, but then something similar will cut out a colverleaf on a good day. I just never know so I keep experimenting - that's part of the fun. When everything comes together though for those RSIs, it's all worth it! I probably have 1/2 dozen loads now that I would consider very nice. If I stop being so hard on myself and accept the fact that 1 1/2" groups are good enough, you can probably call that an even dozen good loads.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My 243 was OFTEN doing sub moa, can't remember it not doing that, my 1A 243 put a group of 3 into 3/8"....at 100 yds and often 5/8-3/4", so much for inaccurate #1s.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did Ruger DC the RSI?

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
All Number 1 are now distributor exclusives through Lipseys .

2014 RSI #1 was chambered in .257 Roberts
2015 RSI #1 is chambered in 6.5x55

Flyer

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a ruger #1 international in 257 Roberts mine shoots under an inch all day long some groups are 1/2 inch ,this little gun shoot`s great.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
My RSI 30-06 will shoot an easy inch with 150 gr. Fed. factory ammo. I recently traded for it and haven't worked up loads.

Seems to be a shooter.

Nice piece of wood on that one. What's the year of mfg.?

DF

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mine is just like AZ's. Almost a twin and in the same caliber. Scope setup looks the same. Mine likes heavier bullets and will shoot under and inch for three shots. Specifically the long 175 gr. which are my least favorite. Maybe it just has a long throat. I never shot it enough times to get it hot. Lighter bullets open the groups up to 1-1/2" or so. Almost the same story. Mine is too nice to beat up. 7MM Mauser is a great caliber and is very balanced. Nice shooting for an old man like me. If you have 1/2 dozen loads that shoot, I would consider that good enough.

"That God could and would, if He were sought."
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I got my dream rifle in 2011, a 7x57 No.1 RSI. It would group 1.5" (all I ask for a hunting rifle) with several different loads.
The scope had to be mounted too far forward because of the design and the muzzle end was too light for me in offhand use, which kind of negated it's hunting role. Also, it seemed a lot heavier than it looked.
Parted company with it in 2013 but, still think they are fine looking rifles.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]
My RSI is my go-to rifle for anything smaller than elk. It's been used for Texas Whitetail deer and Mule Deer. Also a couple of Black bear. It does what it's suppose to, shoot straight enough to get the job done. It's in .270 caliber and is easy to carry and use in various types of brush and terrain. I would use it on elk except I have a 1A for that in a larger caliber just for the elk. I don't get too upset because it won't hold a 1" group or better at 100 yards. It's accurate enough to do the job if I do my part. To me it's a short single shot hunting rifle that looks good doing it. Makes me happy.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I have one in 30-'06. It shoots everything I feed it very well. It can be a little jumpy with heavy loads,say heavy 200-220 grain loads. Obviously due to its weight and compact size. I have shot many cloverleaf groups with it using everything from Barnes 125 gr to 220 gr RN Sierra slugs. Best part is that I love to still hunt and stalk and I have found nothing else that carries quite as well. Not even my O/U bird gun that I paid three times as much for.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

About 1.5" at 100 yards from a bench

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
511 members (10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 44 invisible), 2,538 guests, and 1,115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,400,973
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.