Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
Has anyone ever used the canned expanding foam to fill the hollow area(s) of �Tupperware� stocks to take some of hollowness feeling out of them? Figured I�d ask to see if there are any pitfalls that could be avoided.
thanks

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've done it to multiple synthetic factory stocks, mostly to cut down on the loud (to my ears) "scratching" sound, when brush drags across them.

IMHO, it works only "fair" as a sound deadener.

On some, I've had to remove a buttplate to access the butt, and the entire gun from the stock to get at the barrel channel.

I've used a couple of different brand names from HomeCheapo and/or Lowe's, with no discernable difference between any.

None have generated enough internal pressure to bend or deform the stock material - when sprayed in, it simply foams up, expanding to overfill the stock void(s) - which overfill I slice off even with the stock edges, using a single-edge razor blade, a few minutes later, after the foam cures/dries.

The foam seems to add no appreciable weight to the gun - although I've never bothered to weigh any before/after.

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I always wondered well the foam would cut down on noise. I filled mine with foam peanuts for the same purpose. It works ok and might be lighter than the foam, but like Rangr44 said, the foam is pretty light.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Some of the canned foam won't react inside a stock, or any enclosure. It reacts with air, no air, no reaction.
I've used the two-part expanding foam, mix equal parts and pour it in. It reacts chemically, and works every time.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by DillWeasel
I always wondered well the foam would cut down on noise. I filled mine with foam peanuts for the same purpose. It works ok and might be lighter than the foam, but like Rangr44 said, the foam is pretty light.

+1 on the peanuts

Retired U.S. Army
LM-NRA,GOA,& MOAA.

Someone said, "Don't mess with old men, especially those who are veterans!!!
They'll not fight you, they'll kill you"!!!

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Ditto Rangr44's post - "some" sound deadening, not as much as I had hoped.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Although I've only used three different brands of canned/aerosol insulating foam, I've never had problem one, with the foam reacting/expanding inside a stock - since there's plenty of air/access in there.

I just shake the can according to directions, attach the little tube to the spray nozzle, and start foaming as deep inside as the tube will reach.

The can's pressure insures that the foam gets squirted much deeper than the tip will reach, and if only a little is done at a time (as in: short bursts/expand/burst/expand/etc) it's fairly easy to avoid a void (cute, huh ?).

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
With minimal success. I would go for the peanuts.
Then I bought a Walnut stock, cut it to fit, outfitted with a premium pad and now have a super hunting rifle.

YMMV,

stumpy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Check hobby shops for adjustable density expanding urethane foam. For better sound control, get a long handled paintbrush and coat the interior surfaces with polyurethane sealant for vinyl and allow to cure before filling.

...new laws were most numerous when the commonwealth was most corrupt. ~ Publius Cornelius Tacitus
B
B
I did a few guns last year and have a bit of adivce to add. First tape off the outside of the stock with masking tape to avoid having foam residue stuck when it overflows. Second, spray short puffs of foam and let it expend for 30 seconds or so between puffs. Third stop before you think you need to, it will continue to expand for several minutes. Fourth, stand the stock up and let it cure for at least 24 hours before you trim the excess off.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

365 members (1_deuce, 264mag, 219DW, 17CalFan, 303savage, 1OntarioJim, 45 invisible), 2,298 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,127
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.