Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Howdy all, been looking at a Mcwhorter custom rifle and wanted to get some feedback from ya'll on the whole package, I'am currenyly shooting a kimber 8400 montana in 270wsm it shoots MOA.
Just wondering if its worth the upgrade.
Thx for any comments

You can call me what ever you want to, just don't call me late for dinner.
GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have a few of them and I believe they are worth every penny. I personally believe they produce the best custom hunting rifle. Tim is a great gunsmith and a super guy. Allan Rovig is a great gentlemen too and has come to be a good friend. They are both very accomplished whitetail hunters with several "booners" to their names. You also get great service after sale. I do know that they are about to release a new "series" rifle that should be a little more affordable.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I don't know looking at the cut out of the stock by the bolt barrel opening it looks like the cut is not lined up to me in the first picture.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=131251708

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I know I'd base my decision on that...

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by killitgrillit
Howdy all, been looking at a Mcwhorter custom rifle and wanted to get some feedback from ya'll on the whole package, I'am currenyly shooting a kimber 8400 montana in 270wsm it shoots MOA.
Just wondering if its worth the upgrade.
Thx for any comments

The short answer is, Yes.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
killit-

You're actually the only one that can define whether they're worth it or not. What are you looking for, and, what's important to you? If a wee smaller cluster, a better fit/finish etc is worth a couple extra grand to ya, heck yes, they're worth it. I've only handled one and it exuded quality. A couple of other folks that I know have rather discriminating tastes in rifles own them as well - that speaks volumes.

Only downside I see is that they need to fall out of love with their muzzle brakes - that's an easy fix and doesn't speak to actual quality anyway. grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by mtnman1
I know I'd base my decision on that...
I'm picky on things as such especially for a rifle that's 1800.00 to 5000.00.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Well considerin' they built neither the action nor the stock, it's a swirly so they can't adjust much and it don't look that outa line to me I think I'd find out if it shot.

Course I care more about the things that count.

Check out my new website

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I do to as well, and paying the money they require you to pay for one of their rigs I don't care HOW it shoots MY stuff has to be water tight from the pad to the crown spending that kinda of coin. Go to their site you'll see more than one that's not lined up correctly you don't see this in Kampfelds, Bansner, Echols, Baldwin, or LongShot's if you do it's few and far between..................listen not bashing just calling a spade a spade from what's seen outta my eyes, the Gentleman asked a question and I answered. Like I mentioned I'm picky.....have a rifle now that shoots likea house on FIRE the work that was done to it is SIMPLY pathetic, that rifle is going through a make over and I spent 3200.00+ for that one, mind you THAT smith will never see another dollar or build from me.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have personally put my hands on the rifles you are speaking of. The workmanship is super. Tim is a super gunsmith with countless hours of experience both building rifles and guiding hunters. Not mention an IQ of 160. Keep in mind the rifles on the Gun Rack are all for sale. They are not showy pictures that have been Photoshopped for the web site. They have all be tested for function and accuracy. Tim always pays extra attention to fit,finish, and bedding. It is Allan's job to make sure the best components go into a rifle and make sure they shoot. And man do they shoot. My 270wby will make bug holes with everything I throw in it.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
IMO $5500 for a rifle like that is a friggen joke, the only rifles I have seen that are truely worth that kind of coin are custom mausers and pre 64's done by a big name smith, weibe, biesen etc with a piece of wood that gives you a boner.

if you want a remchester done up with a mcswirley and a custom barrel, one can have those built for under 2k all day long by well known smiths, good lord the gun doesn't give blow jobs, all you are really doing is buying a name

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most of the well known gunsmiths these days are getting 3K and up for rifles built on a 700 action. Seems like as soon as they get a couple of "write-up's" in any of the popular rags, their prices jump considerably. Take a look at the Sisk website and you will see what I'm talking about. Not knocking Charlie, but 5K plus seems a little high for a rifle built around a 700 action. At least some of the other well knowns (Borden, Bansner etc.) are using custom actions on their 4-5K hunting rifles.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
function over form for me any day...

Check out my new website

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by JimBobwsm
I have personally put my hands on the rifles you are speaking of. The workmanship is super. Tim is a super gunsmith with countless hours of experience both building rifles and guiding hunters. Not mention an IQ of 160. Keep in mind the rifles on the Gun Rack are all for sale. They are not showy pictures that have been Photoshopped for the web site. They have all be tested for function and accuracy. Tim always pays extra attention to fit,finish, and bedding. It is Allan's job to make sure the best components go into a rifle and make sure they shoot. And man do they shoot. My 270wby will make bug holes with everything I throw in it.
Mr JimBob not saying Tim's not a super gunsmith not questioning that AT ALL Sir. All I'm saying is this the respected rifles on the GunRack that can be seen ALL of them does not have stock alignment discrepancies the ones that do I feel should not be sold or put on a rifle especially for that kind of money. I'm sure alot of you are doing well financially(Blessed) and may not care about what I'm speaking of here that's your prerogative wink .

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by mtnman1
function over form for me any day...
I want both wink will NOT settle for less grin .

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Custom action 1200.00
Bottom Metal 200.00
Jewell Trigger 225.00
Hart Fluted barrel 390.00
Mickey stock 400.00
Muzzle brake 200.00

Gun Build Labor+ Rifle testing+ load devopment+ Reputation=5500.00

Don't look like they are getting rich. Some people drive Toyotas and some people drive Bentleys. Some people hunt public land near there home and some people go on outfitted hunts in Alberta.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I'll betcha 40 quaters to a nickel their not paying retail for most of the parts you mention the only action that's custom on the site for 1200.00 is a Nesika, and I know for a FACT you canget dealor price on the Nesika's, and Stiller's not to mention the other parts. To say the least they have to eat to and I don't mind paying for a product that I like such as a custom rifle ESPECIALLY if it's tight.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Popapi
I don't know looking at the cut out of the stock by the bolt barrel opening it looks like the cut is not lined up to me in the first picture.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=131251708

OK, so how would you have him fix the stock alignment "problem" you're talkin' about? It's a Swirly so it ain't like he's gonna plug it and re-cut it. If you're that worried about it don't order it with a swirly. I promise ya, if you request a swirly from any of the makers you mentioned and say it all has to align perfectly, they'll either tell ya you'll have to potentially live with those minor alignment issues or don't do the swirly thing. Reality sucks.

Check out my new website

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If someone is looking for perfect esthetic's, I wouldn't order a McSwirly either.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Dude I'm not JUST talking about the McM Swirly go to their site and look this IS NOT THE ONLY STOCK WITH DISCREPANCIES read my post above, and I'm sure as a matter of FACT I know ALL McM Swirly's don't have these problems. What I'm saying is if it don't line up FOR this kind of money I won't buy it I don't care who builds it they won't get my money.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

492 members (007FJ, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 47 invisible), 2,135 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,790
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.