24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Try a Havalon Piranta pro for $30 or $40. It's a very nice folder with detachable scalpel blades. Super light and works great. I was given mine as a gift. Everyone who has seen me use it buys one.

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
BP-B2

H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
I second the Havalon knives, surgical sharp but I wouldn't go to the woods with just the Havalon alone. I use mine mainly for skinning.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree with that. I have a nice 4 inch Case with small sharpening stone and a 8 inch saw. Throw in a painter's ground cloth from home depot and 4 game bags which I vacuum pack and you are ready to roll.

Conrad101st
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mohave_mauler1
Newbie question here buy hom many knifes does this take to get accomplished? Do you use one or two and keep sharping them or have for or five in the pack?

I've been carrying one of these for many years. Skinning an elk really takes the edge off a knife. A little touchup every now and again really speeds things up.
This particular one is $8 from Cabelas and it works well on broadheads, too.
[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for the info. Getting a new knife soon will look into the Havalons

Deserve's got nuthin to do with it- Willam H Munny
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just a personal preference on cutlery for myself:
Cabela's Outfitter Series fixed blade knife. I'm on my third because I do dumb stuff like try to pry things I shouldn't or lose them. But I like a good quality largish (4-5") fixed blade for elk. Also carry a sharpener and a backup knife in case I get stupid with my main knife.
Only other thing I like is a small hatchet rather than a bone saw. I use a Gerber. Heck of a lot faster and less fragile than most saws, but not as clean if you know what you're doing with a saw. I split the pelvis and brisket with my hatchet and/or remove lower leg bones if a horse is available. Last year my buddie's horse freaked with the lower leg bones attached to the quarters so we had to hack them off of everybody's elk and I was the only one with a hatchet. It can be done with a knife, but it's easier with a hatchet.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This guy was on just enough of a slope that those ropes are there partly because he was sliding down the hill a bit... Camera doesn't really catch it though.

I shot him in the morning, and had him on the meatpole by dark. I left the bones in the quarters; as 1minute says, to completly bone him out would have been too messy for this noob.

It was hot enough that I got the hinds pulled off and hanging in the shade before I hiked out to get my quarter bags and pack frame. Seemed to work, there's a LOT of heat stored in those rear quarters and getting them cooling is job #1!

I did the whole thing with a Gerber hunting folder that has a bone saw blade. It worked, but the bone saw was more appropriate for a deer than an elk IMHO. a little bit of cussin' getting through the leg bones etc. The other elk I killed last year, I mostly used a Buck Vanguard, the rubber-handled one. That's a good knife too.

I do like a tiny little Gerber ultralight folder for parts of the gutting. Big knife = more potential for mayhem- for me anyways.

Top pic is roped-off elk, bottom shows the Gerber, folded up unfortunatly.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I boned 4 bucks last year in the field. I like an Ingram for the job.

Biggest thing about boning in the field is to get set up with a good system to keep your meat clean. A lightweight plastic tarp works ok.

I find the meat is best if I leave it for 4 days in the refrigerator before freezing. I ate some backstrap about 30 hours after killing it, and it was super tough.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
+1 on the tarp.

4 days in the fridge, eh?
I will have to try that-I have only killed 3 mule deer(yes, I am a Noob!) but I froze the meat within 6-8 hrs after popping the critters.
Most of the meat was not all that nice to eat, honestly.
frown

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 175rltw
Up here you're not even allowed to bone meat in the field, as there are concerns about wasting meat.

To clarify, don't take this a general regulation. It applies only in certain places and at certain times of the year. It is intended to give a bit more strength to the wanton waste laws. (And who wants to go to the trouble of hunting, killing, cutting, and hauling out their animal only to find that it is inedible afterwards anyway?)

Originally Posted by 99guy
Can't bone it out? Wow! People that dreamed up that law couldn't have been hunters.

That means if I ever get to AK, guess I'll be shooting out the window of the truck! Ooops, probably can't do that either!

Actually it is a good law for hunters - though it may not appear that way on the front side. (See above.)

If anything, Alaska itself is not a very friendly place in many ways, for hunters. Even with modern helps, a lot of hunts are anything but easy/simple. Then again, that part of what people expect.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've quartered even some deer here in Oklahoma when it was hot and the check stations act like you are a freak.

Conrad101st
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
rnr has a great suggestion. The Colorado DOW video is excellent. They show you A to Z how to bone it out and what they use for knives, tarps, leaving evidence of sex on the carcass, etc. An excellent DVD and well worth it. I can't speak to the aging process of bone in vs. bone out. I do know that the meat will also age in the freezer as well. There was an article on it in the American Hunter a few years back on the subject.

Here's the link to the DVD:
http://wildlife.state.co.us/wildlifeStore/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=D07

There's also a preview of the DVD on the DOW website. Enjoy.
Elk

Last edited by Laughing_Elk; 07/03/09.

"I won�t be wronged, I won�t be insulted, and I won�t be laid a hand on. I don�t do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." �John Wayne (John Bernard Books, The Shootist)
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I use a Cutco with the Double D edge. I've field dressed and home butchered 3-4 elk and 3-4 deer before it needed factory sharpening again. We've used our thin, disposable space blankets for laying out meat during the boning process; that way you get potentially double function from a piece of gear (something I always like), though we toss them after the boning. Cutting the legs off through the joints with a knife also dispenses with the need for carrying a saw, if you are in deep. Quartering with the gutless method also removes the quarters in super fast time to start the cooling process faster.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sure cuts down on the "bloody" mess.

Conrad101st
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
726 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 3,175 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,745
Posts18,401,279
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.