Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Is there anything wrong with the Sierra Designs tipi style Tarp tent called the Origami 4 UL?

It is available for $229 shipped and that includes a floor.

It is slightly taller [89 in tall vs 72 in] and much cheaper than a Shangri-La 4 which is the other tent I am considering. I would like to have a teepee style LW tent I could put a stove in for an occasional long weekend. Sew a stove jack in the back and install a small Kni-Co stove.

I have two wall tents and have gotten quite fond of a wood stove.

We haul our camp around on closed roads with bike trailers and hacve actually hauled in a conventional 12x14 wall tent and camp.

My knee is still sore from doing so.Anyway if my arithmetic is right I can be in the tent with a stove and jack for just a little over $400.00

If there is a downside to the tent it is that they don't make a "nest for it".

I would appreciate any help I can get on this. I want to start on the project this month.

One of the three of us can't go elk hunting. The other one can't go for deer so I am looking at a camp for two instead of one for 3-5.

BP-B2

i cant help you with the origami as i have no experience with it but do you have any pic's/info on your bike trailer set up that you could post?

Last edited by fishnhuntfreak; 06/18/09.
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
No, but I can e-mil some. Jeff O posted some a few years ago. PM me with your e-mail and I'll send you some.

The trailers are:
1. A Blue Sky, pre plastic rims and take down feature,It is
the orange one. My favorite because of the 24 in tires.

2. A Cabela's Magnum game hauler with a tow bar copied from the blue Sky. The earlier one was from the huffy and was too flexible. The original hard rubber tires are gone and it now wears pneumatic tires.

3. Older Huffy bike trailer. We buy them for $25-50 repack the bearings and as opportunities present convert them to 20 inch tires with 3/4 inch shoulder bolts. Some came with 1/2 inch shoulder bolts. We also put quickly removable pins where possible to speed breakdown.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I have an Origami with a Tigoat cylinder stove. It's not a bad setup but it has two weaknesses. The pole is weak and it is difficult to get a low pitch with it.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
dancing bear
i have a megamid type for sale that looks just like the pic above. it is 9x9 and 6 ft hi. 80 bucks and like new. put in a stove jack and you are hot. it weighs 2 lb 7 oz. sans pole. i just cut a pole on site. cut it as strong as you want.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks Ray,

I think I am going to try the Origami as it has the 89 in height.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I have an Origami with a Tigoat cylinder stove. It's not a bad setup but it has two weaknesses. The pole is weak and it is difficult to get a low pitch with it.

It looks great. I think I will go for it.

Thank you.

I have a magnesium adjustable pole from an old 1951 Artic 13x13 tent that finally rotted out/tore up in the wind.

I assume you sewed in a Ti Goat Jack?

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I cheated on the stove jack. I made an attemp to sew it in but quickly realized that I was never going to get there. I decided to glue it in place using GE silicone II and it work perfectly. It may be a slighly heavier than sewing but it's hard to screw it up.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
if you are concerned about the "low pitch" and are going to add a stove jack you can also add a sod flap. just like they have on wall tents. a 12 in addition adds a few ounces but allows you to seal the bottom. i have done this before and it helps. you can put dirt or stuff on the flap to seal air out and not worry about the main tent getting a hole.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
mlaux- Any interior pics? I'm thinking of setting my Orgami 2 up similarly, but am thinking of getting the stove a bit farther towards the side. I'd just like to see how yours is set up.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mlaux

[Linked Image]

nice job. smile

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Not a great interior pic but it will give you an idea.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks!! That helps a bunch! I'm thinking if I can place it a bit closer to the wall it might make room for 2 in a pinch and will make for a nice 'gear room' when alone.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
It will be real tight with two in the small oragami. It is amazing how things that can melt gravitate to the stove in confined quarters.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
What are the specs as to how close can you have a stove jack down the pitch / how close to the perimeter or wall? Depends on the size of stove/size of interior? Does it need to be in the middle? Just wondering. Could extra fire retardant material be sewn or silicone onto the tent fabric to get the stove more out of the way?

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
The problem with getting low in the pitch is that the tent is what provides the stove pipe support. If you get too low then the stove pipe has leverage over the stove and that can get dangerous inside.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mlaux
It will be real tight with two in the small oragami. It is amazing how things that can melt gravitate to the stove in confined quarters.
I hear ya. Two would be a rare situation.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by fishnhuntfreak
i cant help you with the origami as i have no experience with it but do you have any pic's/info on your bike trailer set up that you could post?

On the topic of bike trailers the Amish use them quite a bit up here. Ones I have seen were aluminum.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Fishhuntfreak, You might find this link helpful: http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,27615.0.html. It is a forum in WA. I've posted some photos of our bike and trailer combos and so have others. Like, Dancing Bear we usually hunt closed logging roads but in SW WA, just across the river from him. We've hauled in camp, including a large wood stove and 12 x 18 wall tent with steel internal frame, on the bikes and trailers. This past year it was a 9 mile, one-way trip because a slide closed more of the road. The trailers make it all possible.

Dancing Bear, just last night I purchased a Shangri La 4 for $225 at backcountry.com and a Ti-Goat stove jack. I like the height of the Origami and wish I had read your post earlier. I have a Sierra Designs Baku, but was unaware of the Origami. I had considered Kifaru, Go-Lite, TarpTent, Ti-Goat, Intregal Designs, Big Agnes, and a few other "back packing" tents. I'm hoping for a good ground seal with the Shangri La when needed. For a stove, I have been fortunate enough to connect with Ed T. on this site who has offered to make me a stove for a good price. He has 4 different sized Shangri La's and a variety of stoves he has built. Some of his stove designs break down so they are easier to pack than a traditional sheepherder. I considered those, too, until I found the collapsible kind.

I know a woman in Vancouver who used to do all of REI's sewing repairs. She repaired a tent for me last year at a reasonable price. I intend to have her sew in my stove jack. If you want someone to do that for you, I could run down her contact information (since I have to dig it up in a few days for myself anyway).

Because of severe winter-kill from '07-'08 in our usual hunt area, we have purchased OR tags and will be hunting the Eagle Cap without the bikes and trailers this year. What area do you hunt? I live in Battle Ground and work in Portland. We usually hunt east and north of Mt. St. Helens.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I don't know about a tight seal to the ground without a footprint. Pile some sow on it or make a little sod cloth I suppose.

When we can get tags, which we did this year [second season spike only] we hunt Sled Springs.

It is adjacent to your hunt in the Eagle Caps. Are you entering the Eagle Caps through the Lostine River-Allen Canyon access point?

Good Luck,

Gary

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
107 members (10gaugeman, 35, 32_20fan, 257robertsimp, 338reddog, 11 invisible), 1,427 guests, and 688 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,882
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.