24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not to be an ass but just for the record it is CPM S30V not SV30.Sorry it was driving me crazy.Forget the 154 and go to the s30v or s60v.Both are way better steels.

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Again, the differences in performance from one steel to the next of the high performance group with similar quality of heat treatment is not noticeable to most users.

dingdingding...we have a winner!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Just heared (word of mouth) that Crucible is in bandruptcy. If that is true, there will be a short feeding frenzy I suspect unless everything is locked up for now.
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
S30V is a definate step up in edge holding over 154CM/ATS 34.
But you are definately getting into diamond sharpener teritory. Not a problem and worth the effort.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah, they filed Chapter 11 in early May. I heard about it at BLADE, but no one seemed panicked at the time. Don't know if they've pulled out yet. I'm rooting for them.

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted By: RDFinn
I think that's Ingram's secret weapon.................

Originally Posted By: VAnimrod
Funny thing is, he gets his heat treat done with and at the same place a few other makers do.

When did Gene go out-of-house? He used to post a lot on BF about heat treat and was really into it. I bought one of his first S30V blades, before he even offered it as a general option and we talked about the heat treat at length. But, I haven't spoken with him in a while - I'll do that soon...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S30V is a definate step up in edge holding over 154CM/ATS 34.
But you are definately getting into diamond sharpener teritory. Not a problem and worth the effort.

Silicon Carbide for me, please...

follow with strop as needed.

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Hope Crucible survives. I have a couple of 18" square sheets of 154CM, so good for now. Is any other company doing vanadium steels or the powered metal process????

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
Hope Crucible survives. I have a couple of 18" square sheets of 154CM, so good for now. Is any other company doing vanadium steels or the powered metal process????

I have a F�llkniven U2 folder with a powdered metal process blade (the unlikely name is "Super Gold Powder Steel").

I was waiting for it to get dull before I posted about it so that I could post about how it sharpened with my diamond stones. However, the blade has already stayed sharp well beyond my S30V and ATS34 blades. I have no idea of how long the edge will last but it must have cut 2 miles of cardboard by now and you can still cut yourself if you look too close! smile

[Linked Image]

and you can read about it here,

I was pretty skeptical that the blade would be noticeably better but it just stays sticky sharp after all that cutting and the edge has not chipped at all.

Not that it matters much since the edge could be touched up (I guess that they can be sharpened but have not had to yet!), but this was also the sharpest knife that I have ever purchased as well.

I have not seen any blades or blanks made from this steel available, but if anybody ever sees one it would be worth checking out...

John

Last edited by jpb; 06/21/09. Reason: corrected the name of the steel
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tim,

RWL 34 from Erasteel is a functional replacement for CPM 154 - it's PM and has 0.2ish% V.

We've discussed BG 42 before. It's from Timkin-Latrobe and while not PM it is double vacuum melted which makes it super clean. Has 1.2ish% V. Absolutely one of my favorites - My old Sebbie in this steel is my number one EDC ever.

I love the U2 as shown above - another of my favorite production knives. My kid and wife EDC them. I call it a Gerber LST on steroids. The steel is PM, from a Japanese company, but I haven't worked with it yet...

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
101 members (10gaugeman, 338reddog, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,384 guests, and 693 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,873
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.