-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 17 1 2 3 4 16 17
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
2.5-3 lbs on hunting rifles. I can like them lighter but then they are too sensitive when cold or after exertion.

That's plenty light enough not to be jerking the trigger and heavy enough not to be overly sensitive.

MM

GB1

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
No more than 2.5 lbs on my rifles in any hunting conditions.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
McInnis,
I don't try to shoot while wearing gloves, I buy them loose enough that I can bite and hold the glove with my teeth to pull my hand out and shoot. It doesn't take but a moment.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have two questions for all those with light trigger pulls on hunting rifles:

1. Why? Does it make you a better shot in the field?

2. Have you tested your rifles for accidental discharge from dropping it?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like them in the 2lb range as well.

IMHO, Scott is right - the lighter the rifle, the lighter the trigger needs to be.

From field positions and offhand, the lighter trigger helps most. A controlled squeeze is rare for me in a hunting situation - I need to be time it so that I am able to touch off the trigger just when I want to in most hunting situations, and that's where a light trigger makes me a better shot in a hunting situation. It's also the reason a lighter rifle needs a lighter trigger - I need to affect things as little as possible when I touch off the shot offhand or in a field position when I need to control timing the shot to occur precisely at the right moment.

I also will take reasonable shots on moving game - frequently on hogs, and even on this buck I shot last year. He had a doe in a thicket and came out in the open for a second to run off a smaller buck and I drilled his shoulders as he slowed from a trot to a brisk walk just as he was leaving the clearing to return to his doe. Killed him with a Montana 7-08 with the trigger just a whisker under 2 lbs - which was perfect. A light trigger sure helps when swinging with a moving animal and touching off a shot at just the right time.

[Linked Image]

It obviously wasn't cold that day, but cold hasn't been a problem with light triggers IME. Of course, I don't hunt in crazy cold weather too much....grin.

Lee - I test the dickens out of my rifles for accidental discharge dangers - lots of slam fires and bump tests all over the rifle after I adjust a trigger. BTW - some rifles will AD with odd bumps - I've found it's a good idea to test with a bump on the forend. Also, sometimes it's the 8th of 10th slam fire before a trigger discharges. I've also seen them AD more easily after the safety is engaged and dis-engaged - had a model 70 that could have fooled me on that one if I hadn't been pretty persistent in testing it.

DJ

IC B2

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Lee,

I was born a night, but not last night! and your questions are a little condescending. I'll answer like this, A light crisp trigger helps in shooting in all situations and Yes I have done a "controlled" drop of my rifles. And I'm sure many others have thought the same as I about this.

CLB

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
That's a nice buck DJ.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like my hunting rifles (bolt guns) set around 2.5-3 lbs as well. I'm not sure that it makes me a better shot though. If the rifle fires from a slam, then the trigger wasn't adjusted correctly from the start. Has nothing to do with the weight it was set at.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Found I can shoot most any pull wt. well if the break is clean. I like 3-4# when I have a choice.
Shot a buddies old 308 in a Win 100 ( or was the semiauto the mod. 88?) that had the trigger lightened up. Nearly always doubled.
My biggest complaint against the TC conventional black powder rifles are the set triggers. Man, do I need a lot of practice to still hunt effectively with them. Learned this the hard way, and more than once.
Set or not, I find them difficult to master.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't care for anything much over 3. Won't use anything 2 or under for hunting.

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Trigger pull weight actually does have something to do with the tendency to accidentally trip when a handgun or rifle is dropped.

The adjustment of the tension often results in the sear engagement getting out of adjustment.

Secondly, triggers have mass. Some triggers have a lot of mass, and when a rifle or handgun falls and lands a certain way, the impulse load of that trigger mass can be more than 4 or 5 pounds upon impact.

Every year, someone drops a rifle with a 5 lb trigger from a treestand, it discharges, and kills them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Lee24
I have two questions for all those with light trigger pulls on hunting rifles:

1. Why? Does it make you a better shot in the field?

2. Have you tested your rifles for accidental discharge from dropping it?

#1. Yes.
#2. Tested from where, like while sitting at your PC?

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
If you shoot out the window from your PC chair, you might want to test it there. This thread is about MOUNTAIN hunting, outside. I expected to get the usual jackass comments, but the serious among us will continue the discussion despite the noise.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
PLEASE DO NOT DROP YOUR RIFLE

I remember reading that some British gunmaker liked to make their trigger pulls 1/2 the weight of the gun.Personaly I like them a little lighter and crisp.When I was younger I liked them a lot lighter and really enjoyed wishing off a shot,especially offhand.

Life is life and fun is fun but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.
Bror Blixen
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Lee24
If you shoot out the window from your PC chair, you might want to test it there. This thread is about MOUNTAIN hunting, outside. I expected to get the usual jackass comments, but the serious among us will continue the discussion despite the noise.

You could be right, but here's a photo of this jackass on a mountain with a Stone's sheep and a M70 with a 2 1/2 pound trigger pull. Light trigger, mountains and M70's...you're expert on 'em all, right? Wanna share a pic or two of your mountain hunting adventures? Or even better, of your famous one-of-a-kind M70?

[Linked Image]

Last edited by RickF; 06/24/09.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
T
wow very nice ram, looks like someone has BTDT and has the pic to prove it...

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Good post Rick and a sweet looking ram too!

I'd like to see those pics myself actually....

CLB

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Nice ram, RickF. You could have posted that the first time. Your comments were more adult the second time, but I still wouldn't hunt with a trigger under 3 pounds. There is no advantage to it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks guys, I am very proud of him.

Lee, thank you. But why would I automatically post a pic of a sheep when the conversation is about trigger pull weights? Only when you challenged me that it was about mountain hunting did I feel the need to post a bit of my "resume".

Since you did that, and I shared a pic of me mountain hunting, I think it only courteous that you do the same. Please show us a pic of you mountain hunting somewhere so that we know that you are qualified to discuss this topic according to the guidelines you already laid out. ??

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So if a 5 lb trigger pull isn't what you would consider safe, what do you set your trigger pull weights to.

Page 2 of 17 1 2 3 4 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

610 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 160user, 22250rem, 1_deuce, 63 invisible), 2,137 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,278
Posts18,448,479
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.