Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JayTx Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
After reading another thread on this forum, I now have some concerns about the heater we've been using, and an upcoming hunt.

We've been using one of the little Coleman catalytic propane heaters with acceptable results in our tent (nylon) when hunting in the mountains. It doesn't really heat the tent much, but does seem to help keep the temps up just high enough to make sleeping more comfortable. For me, it's not so much a matter of being cold as it is having to breath 20 degree air. I just can't sleep more than an hour or so at a time.

So far we've used it at 8600', and 7500' with no problems. This year we drew in a unit that will likely have us camping at 9500'+. Thus, less o2, and lower ambient temps.

Waking up dead is our first concern! And heating the tent is a slightly more distant second. The tent does have ample ventilation, which we use religiously. So that's taken care of.

Any suggestions to a flat lander on what we should be using?

Thanks,
Jay

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without convictions.
BP-B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
First get a CO2 and CO monitor.

I'd suggest one of those heater units that screw onto the top of a 20lb propane tank,if there is now way you can switch to a wood stove.Again, another reason for a canvas wall ten t vs a nylon one. You wil be much warmer with les heat.

I bought one of the vent free Blue Flame propane heaters from Northern Tool,on sale for $100.Oxygen sensor,auto shut off. adjustable from 0 to 30,000 BTU's. Much more efficient than a catalytic heater.

If you are from low elevation, not being able to sleep,might be from the altitude,not the cold air, unles syou have COPD or asthma.You might try a scarf or? over your mouth and nose,so the air is somewhat warmed up before you breath it.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
JayTx Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
No wood stove option for the tent we use now. Looking at Wall tents, but......You know how us amateurs are, lol.

I had thought about what you say regarding the altitude the first night ever up there (8600'). But once we started running the heater all night, I slept just fine. Temp inside the tent was about 45 degrees w/heater on. Just couldn't take the 18-20 degree air w/o it.

No asthma, or any other problems.

I do notice the altitude when up that high. Me being from basically sea level, I definitely notice it. But it only gets to me when doing the strenuous hiking into or out of an area. As long as I'm walking at hunting speed I'm just fine. Can even run decent distances after a few days of being there w/o panting too bad. And the longer I'm at altitude, the better I do. No doubt the body adapts. We always arrive 2-3 days before a hunt too, to acclimatize, and last minute scout.

Anyway, will look into the heater you recommend. I have a Northern 'bout 30 miles from the house.

Thanks,
Jay

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without convictions.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I've been using the Coleman sportcat heater at 9,000ft plus elevation for years. I don't sleep in a tent. I have a topper on my truck and sleep in the back. The first year I used the sportcat I took a carbon monoxide detector along to make sure everything was safe. It never went off and I didn't die so I assumed the air quality was ok.

I don't think the propane is combusted. Even though you light it initially I think it reacts with whatever is in the honeycomb of the heater to make an exothermic reaction and that's what makes the heat. Apparently carbon monoxide is not a byproduct of this reaction.

I do keep the side windows of my topper cracked slightly though, just to keep the air circulating. I know using the heater has improved the quality of my sleep, 'cause it sure gets cold up there! I used to sleep in my hunting clothes and completely bury myself in my sleeping bag. Now I sleep in my underwear with my head uncovered.

My two cents worth.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
We've used a kerosene heater in wall tents up to about 9000. Never hunt-camped any higher than that. I wouldn't think a nylon tent and condensation would be a fun experience, even with a toasty warm tent. Don't know, never tried it. You might look at the Springbar www.springbar.com tents (or a knockoff, I think Cabelas carries a decent replica), they're canvas but not quite the production of setting up a wall tent. We've run kerosene inside one with w/o any trouble. And ditto the CO monitor advice. Good luck.
SD

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Here's a government test of a catalytic propane heater. It says they could only find 1 manufacturer of catalytics in 2003 so I guess they didn't look too hard. At that time I had at least 2 different ones, neither being the one they tested.

It says that in the presence of the catalyst, propane and O2 undergo a chemical reaction producing heat, CO2, and water. It's not a flame. It also says that when the O2 starts getting depleted, it creates CO instead of of CO2 and then things can get nasty. Keep the air coming in if you use one.
CATALYTIC TEST

I have a camp trailer with a wall mount catalytic. It works great, but....if it's cold enough so we have to run it in the daytime, after a couple days everything is damp. We'll have water running down the windows. A couple years ago, we couldn't get our damp matches to strike to light the stove. We had to stick them in the heater to light them. Since then, I keep them in a waterproof can. I've never had much luck with the butane strikers. They never seem to strike more than once consecutively.
I'd like to return to the old propane furnace that used to be in the trailer but it's obsolete.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I'd suggest a warmer sleeping bag and leaving the heater at home. No worries about CO fires etc.

rnr Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I camp at 9500 for the elk/deer hunt here in CO and we use a MrBuddy heater. Our hardsided popup is far from air tight but we still crack a window for some air circulation. We use a 14lb propane bottle and a hose to connect to the heater. It lasts for about 6 nites and partial days. We also use it when we camp in the summer at up to 11k feet. It says that it shouldn't work past 7, but we've never had problems with it.

We've never woken with any o2 symptoms, so I guess what we've done works. But the suggestion of a detector sounds good.

"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?

Sherlock Holmes
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Had two die this past weekend here in Utah using one of the tank mounted propane heaters in a tent. I personally wouldn't do it, but if I did, I'd damn sure have a portable detector and would make sure it's LOUD enough to wake me up before I ever left home.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Quality sleeping bag like Integral Designs rated for slightly below the temp. range you expect. In additon, use a piece of polar fleece inside the bag should you need it and don't forget a backpacking style air mattress . That's if for some reason you're packing in. If your camp is gonna be near your vehicle, the same bag and pad as noted above with a surplus Army wool blanket. Both setups work - believe me.
I'd never trust some sort of external heater in a tent.
Bear in Fairbanks

Last edited by Bear_in_Fairbanks; 06/26/09.

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

Floorless shelter and wood stove would be my recommendation if you want heat. I personally wouldn't use a gas heater in a tent, but that's me.

If it's the cold air that bother you, why not wear a backlava (?spelling?) or neck gator over your mouth. I wear one when out and about when the temps get to about 20 below and it helps alot.

I'd also say buy a quality sleeping bag rated to at least ZERO since your from Texas and you're not used to the lower temps. That will help.

Just my 2 cents.

Mike.

It's good to lead - it's better to lead by example.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
rnr,

what type of hard sided pop up do you have?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rnr
I camp at 9500 for the elk/deer hunt here in CO and we use a MrBuddy heater. Our hardsided popup is far from air tight but we still crack a window for some air circulation. We use a 14lb propane bottle and a hose to connect to the heater. It lasts for about 6 nites and partial days. We also use it when we camp in the summer at up to 11k feet. It says that it shouldn't work past 7, but we've never had problems with it.

We've never woken with any o2 symptoms, so I guess what we've done works. But the suggestion of a detector sounds good.

I have had 2 different Mr, Buddy heaters refuse to stay lit at around 7500 ft. Both have the O2 sensor. Is yours an earlier model?

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
89 members (99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, akshooting, 15 invisible), 1,642 guests, and 751 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,758
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.