Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I've always adjusted my remingtons and other rifles. From the little I've found on the net is that the screws have a lock nut, but which one adjusts the weight? I also don't have a torque wrench, I always just tighten the action bolts up to what I think they were. Anybody have any info on adjusting the weight on the Kimber Montana. My trigger is a tad bit heavy, I usually like a good 3# or a little lighter trigger pull. The trigger has no creep just seems a little heavy compared to what I'm use to.

BP-B6

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I took it apart and figured it out. Kimbers have some very nice triggers. Just for the heck of it I wanted to see how low(safely) the kimber trigger would go without making it go off by slaming the bolt or hitting the buttstock on the floor. It went very, very low, but for my enjoyment I only took the set screw back out about 3/4 of a full turn from where it was set from the factory. It's probably a 2.5# trigger now, very nice, no creep/travel. I figured from the factory it was around 4#. The action screw we're just a hair past snug. Now, I need to hit the range again to see how far off she is.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just curious, does anyone make an after market trigger for Kimbers? When adjusted to break clean, it is unsafe. With a tiny tweek to make it work safely it develops a step in take-up before it breaks.

Dad always said, "Nadie Nacio Ensenado" (No One Was Born Taught)
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
What do you think makes them unsafe?? How low would be considered unsafe?? On remingtons we usually take it down to where it would fire when the bolt woulds close, then run the set screw back in 1/2 of a round. Been doing that for a very long time, works everytime!! Then try the bolt slam/hitting the butt on the ground, very crude, but it works!!

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
It feels much better with the lighter trigger now. Looks like my groups may of tightened up a hair also. I only took a few rounds with me to make sure she is still on. It was only shooting around 1/2" lower then what it was already. I plan on sneaking out before dark tomorrow and try to slay me a few hogs with her!! It was so hot at 9:30 am when I was trying to shoot it was mirage city even at 100 yards. 94 degrees at 9:30 AM. I shot a few rounds moved her and shot one more time. Time to get in the house, before it reaches 100!!!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tell us about your Kimber trigger? What happened?

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I just wanted it a little lighter. It came from the Kimber factory around 4#, but with no creep. Now it is around 2.5 ish with no creep. My trigger adjusted down very nice!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was wondering,because my Select Grade came with a nice 3# pull,no creep.I'm very happy with it's out of the box running...
rifle

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I adjust take up to break clean with 1/8 turn back at the point it breaks. I next adjust overtravel to minimum after trigger breaks. Then I adjust trigger pull to 2.5 lbs with a gage. With this setup trigger does not grab about 50% of the time. I go back and adjust to 1/4 back after it breaks and it now cocks cleanly 100% but now I feel click on take up. This is not like a 2 stage trigger but more of like a litte bump during trigger pull that is very distracting when trying to shoot groups.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The trigger group has 3 screws, and they are laid out the same as a Remington trigger. I have HEARD that the standard adjustment proceedure for a Remington is appropriate for a Kimber trigger, but by all means, check into that yourself!

On my one Kimber, it broke extremely cleanly from the factory. All I did was use the pull weight adjustment screw to take it down to about 2 lbs. I flat love that trigger; it's as good as my M700 triggers that I've paid Neil Jones to work his magic on.

This is the Remington adjustment proceedure:

http://www.quarterbore.com/library/articles/rem700trigger.html

This is a picture of the Remington trigger group, showing the location of the screws. The location is the same on the Kimber trigger.

[Linked Image]

It's only appropriate to add, that this is just some dork on the internet (me I mean) saying this. Since a trigger is so important to get right, if you aren't qualified to do this, don't do it because *I* told you it was OK! crazy

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm going to follow step by step the proceedure at Quartebore and see what happens. Thanks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It should work. I've adjusted several Montanas and have a Kimber of Oregon 22LR and they all have wonderful triggers.

I've adjusted Model 70, Model 700, Browning, Mauser Actions, Sako, Tikka and probably some others, but the Kimber triggers are my favorite factory triggers. Incredibly crisp, and every one has safely adjusted down into the two pound range and even a bit below.

DJ

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That reminds me.... The 2nd Montana did require a little stoning my the gunsmith to remove a booger on the sear. Mine did just that.

Still not a big deal. I adjusted mine down to 1 5/8 Lbs before it'd go off from the bounce test. I never could get it to slam off. I run both of mine between 2 1/4 and 2 1/2 Lbs, and they're friggin sweet.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have 6 Kimber Montana's. Three of them have triggers that are crisp. I was able to safely take the creep out of the third. With the last two, I can take out the creep but they will not pass the bolt slam test. I ordered a new trigger from Kimber and installed it but still had no luck. Back to the drawing board I guess. I could ship them back to Kimber but the shipping is a bit steep from Alaska. Amazing how they will let these rifles out of the factory. I don't have much faith that they can get it right the second time! Is it just me or does any one else find their customer service people rude?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
690 members (12308300, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 71 invisible), 2,811 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,634
Posts18,398,877
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.