Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I've heard the SAA is now requiring that ammo carried as checked baggage must be stored in a lockable (locked?) container. Does anyone who's traveled to RSA this season know whether this is true? If so, can anyone recommend a source for a lockable, lightweight ammo case?

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I used a small metal toolbox from hardware store in 2007. TSA-type lock on it, inside duffel-on-wheels.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Thanks, great idea.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This April I was told that my ammo could not be in luggage. I had no case for ammo and told them so, that I guessed I would have to leave ammo.(It was on my way out of Jburg home) They provided me with a plastic bag, sealed it with a cable tie, and the bag waas marked ammunition. Luggage tag affixed, and I picked it up in Canada complete, unopened, and not punctured. My gun case on the other hand, had a bent hasp and lock that needed to be straightened before the case could be opened. That was the solution offerred to me by SAA reps.
Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I picked up a small steel cash box at Walmart, left it unlocked with the key attached to the carrying handle.

Left joberg a week ago last Friday night, they checked my guns and asked if my ammo was in my check on, I told them yes in a lockable box that was good enough they never looked.

They did look at it in Atlanta as I had one of those TSA papers in the ammo box it telling me they had inspected it.

From what I have been reading this ammo in a lockable box is hit and miss deal.

Last edited by MarkR; 06/28/09.

NRA - Life Member
GOA - Life Member
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
On our return trip none of our party but me had a lockable bag. The Delta agent had everyone put their ammo in my bag. I ended up with about 30 lbs in there.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
when my son and I went to RSA, last summer, we packed the ammo in foam padded, plastic, handgun cases. 3 boxes each, with a small TSA lock attached. We each put 1 case in our luggage. Over and back, the ammo wasn't even looked at. When I go again, I'll do the same thing.

maddog

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is a topic that always cause some head scratching because there is no uniformity.

I have never used a lockable box. That includes my latest trip to Argentina in April. Delta asks to open the rifle case to put the security tag in before going to TSA. They only ask is the ammo is carried separate.

I met up with a group of Americans in Argentina that had cut out part of the foam in their rifle cases to hold an ammo box. When I asked about the legality of transporting rifle and ammo in the same case, they claimed that what they were instructed to to do, and had done it many times with no trouble.

I say check the airlines website and carry a copy of the regs with you when travel.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I flew from Dulles to Harare thru Joberg earlier this month on South African Airways. I placed my ammo in a metal box with a TSA lock and stuck the box in my checked luggage. It traveled both ways in my checked luggage. On my way over the TSA folks asked me why I didn't put my ammo in my rifle case. I had to explain to them that SAA doesn't allow ammo in with the rifles.

On the way back my ammo was checked through to Dulles from Harare in my checked luggage, but the airline personnel insisted on placing a "firearms" tag on my duffel bag even though there was only ammo inside. Again I changed flights in Joberg without incident and my ammo arrived in my checked duffel bag. At Dulles I noticed several small boxes that obviously contained ammo that also had the "firearms" tag on them. I spoke to one of the other hunters as he claimed his ammo and he told me that SAA in Joberg insisted that they remove the ammo from their checked bags and check separately. They were not charged any extra baggage fees for the ammo.

It seems that if you are checking in at Joberg they will make you check the ammo as a separate item, but not if you are connecting from another flight, but then that is only based upon my one time experience.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never even once in my life have ai flown with a locked ammo box, never even once have I been asked this, or had to show any sort of locking box.

I've flown equally with ammo in with the guns, and in the checked bag. At no point was this ever an issue and nobody ever suggested otherwise. There was one TSA fella that said I could not fly with ammo in the gun case when TSA first became an agency. I said that I was told it was fine, and it was suggested by TSA to do this. He called another TSA fella over and they spoke, a Moment later he said " it's up to the individual airline not us, fine with them....fine with me"

Other then that couple seconds of concern, it's never been a problem since. I fly with firearms and Archery maybe 5 times a year, both domestic and international. Not a lot of resolution to make this 100% certain in every case for every person. Furthermore there are complicated issues with the rules being set by several entities here. Different countries, and different airlines. Add to that the frequent changes made by all of them.

There is no 100% answer for this today because tomorrow it changes again. You must prepare for whatever they throw at you when you get to the ticket counter to check the bags. I don't carry a locked box, because no American Carrier nor TSA requires it. If I'm leaving Africa and they somehow pull this on me, I'll just leave whatever minimal ammo I had with them and carry on with my trip.

If I knew connections were in order in Africa and that they might require this locked box, then I would get one and pack the ammo in the case and lock it. The locked ammo case takes up a lot of room and adds additional weight to the already minimal amount we are allowed today.

I want to see a scale in front of the ticket counter, each passanger stands on that scale with all his bags and they set a maximum weight for each total "package" of person and luggage.

It's totally not fair that some enormous person barely fitting into a seat can walk right on board for no additional cost. Yet I have a case 11 pounds over weight that they charge me 150 bucks for an overweight bag. That's just wrong, when my total "footprint" is easily 100 pounds less then the giant and they did not have to pay one additional penny for any overweight cost.

I wanna see a scale for the whole "package" ....for each person and their kit when they pitch up at the baggage check point! Yeah that's it, the whole body mass weight adjustment fee, or don't charge them more, just give me money back, a credit voucher, or a credit I can accumulate for upgrades, something to reward all this fuel savings I'm helping Al Gore with.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This can be a real nightmare..When travelling from the UK to hunt with JJ a few years back, a locked ammo box was definately the requirement, and I know hunters who have had a similar requirement on internal flights around Europe..

I think part of the problem is that there is no consistantcy between the Airlines, their check-in staff and official agencies like the TSA.

Added to that many of the people who will be handling your luggage will be ignorant of what rules there are, or have their own interpretation of them.

On my trip I used a small metal cash box on recommendation from somebody on here, and that was fine although intially one girl on the check-in counter read the requirement that ammo need to be in a lockable hard case as to mean I should have been using a hard sided suitcase not a duffle but that was soon sorted..

Before I left I tried to get clarified whether a locking hard sided case meant it had to be metal or if plastic was acceptable, and nobody at the airline (Virgin) would give me a straight answer hence I thought metal cash box would be less likely to raise any eyebrows..

Its only a pity nobody makes lockable alloy cash boxes as that would save quite a bit of weight...

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The problem is they hire idiots off the unemployment lists..There is absolutly none of them that even know the regs or the laws of the company they work for...The good ones just pass you on and the liberal anti gun a$$holes make it a problem.

You NOW must have a locked box and that box must be in your luggage..

ALWAYS request the Airline policy ( in writing ) and carry it with you, that really gets their attention and it gets really quite, then they start making excuses, call the supervisor and he/she will invaribly say, "Well, I am going to allow you to do it this time, but be careful in the future!" I, being an obstanant old fart never let that get by me, and usually reply to the effect that I have and will continue to operate on their regs and not on their threats, and tell they better get with the airline program as their airline owner hunts with me and he will hear about it if they contintue down this road or harrasment!" I really don't even know the guy!! Just up for a good fight anytime someone pushes the string on me about my right to own a gun...:) smile so far it has worked..If not in the future I will just say, "whatsa matter can't take a joke@ smile smile

Airlines and Govt. are run my the same people!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by atkinson
ALWAYS request the Airline policy ( in writing ) and carry it with you, that really gets their attention

Ray,

Thats excellent advice...

I am really suprised that nobody markets either purpose designed alloy or plastic ammo containers that are either fitted with locks or have provision to take a small padlock.

The daft thing is that a using a cash box or similar offers no real practical security; its just added weight.

If they really wanted to increase security around the transportation of firearms, the airlines should allow passengers to carrry their bolt (or similar) as "carry on"..

A rifle without a bolt is much less attractive to thieves...

RAC Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by atkinson

Airlines and Govt. are run by the same people!

No Ray, you are wrong. I work for the airlines. The government people are much, much, smarter than the people running the airlines! grin

I bought a metal cashbox from Walmart and used that on SAA last year. I will do the same this year but will make it a little different. I have a small Bear Track take down rifle case(heavy duty aluminum) that I will put my cashbox with ammo inside and padlock. Everything else I need to hunt with will go in my carry-on except my gun case. Any extras (clothing, ect) can go along inside the Bear Track case. At least my ammo will not be stolen from a soft sided case, though my whole case could get stolen.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
http://www.ammolock.com/

The system above is bulky but super strong and waterproof. You can buy the kit and adapt your own surplus ammo box to take a padlock, or you can buy the modified box as a finshed unit with padlock.

I've never flown with one but have one for taking on the road with me on distant hunts.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by maddog
when my son and I went to RSA, last summer, we packed the ammo in foam padded, plastic, handgun cases. 3 boxes each, with a small TSA lock attached. We each put 1 case in our luggage. Over and back, the ammo wasn't even looked at. When I go again, I'll do the same thing.

maddog

this is what i did also...and it was checked in my luggage, had to remove and show prior to checking in bags at jfk flying saa

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
This is light enough to be in checked bags or strong enough to go on its own.3 sizes depending on ammo box style.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Made by Strong case,Reno 510 732 6400
I have pop riveted a name plate with contact info made at a local awards shop.

I have not had the same set of rules applied twice either in SA nor anywhere else(one trip hunting in SA,Namibia,and Zimbabwe).Waving the rules around on a sheet of paper,to someone who doesn't know the job in the first place, solves nothing.Being flexible does;whatever floats the boat.

Dinsdale

Last edited by dinsdale; 06/29/09.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here is the inexpensive solution I used while flying SAA:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200153174_200153174

I was allowed to leave my ammo box in my duffle bag. However, a friend of mine on a different flight was using this same box and SAA made him check it separately.They did not charge him extra and the box survived in fine fashion.

405wcf

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
The metal cash box from Walmart weights 2lb. 2.6 oz. I wrote that on the box with magic marker then loaded almost 10 pounds of ammo in it, I was trying to prepare for what ever they threw at me.

I only carried back my sons ammo at his request - left my ammo in SA for future hunts, Next trip I only have to carry over my rifles and maybe a box or two of ammo.

Hows that for positive thinking!

NRA - Life Member
GOA - Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was told SA law only allows the PH or outfitter to posess that ammo for which he has licensed firearms. I left the 3006 ammo but no one had a 338 so that round had to be brought home.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 16penny, 56 invisible), 2,637 guests, and 1,117 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,310
Posts18,468,202
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.