Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Dancing Bear/Gary,

We archery hunt, so the tags are not an issue. We are looking at 2 areas. One would be off the Lostine canyon, headed west up and over the ridge to the Minam/Bear Creek ridge or near Big Minam Meadows. The second would be on the far east side on either side of the Imnaha Divide, east of the Wallowa River canyon.

Are there good closed roads on public land in Sled Springs? I looked at that area (maps and internet), but was unsure of the hunting pressure. Its our first year in OR, so we don't know much.

BP-B2

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
There are multiple cooperative road closures in the Sled Springs Unit, the largest is the Nooregaard Closure.

It is excellent old man's country. Our hunt areas tend to be at about 4,000 feet and a couple of the entry routes involve about a 1,000 foot elevation change. relatively easy for a fair chance at a branch bull when you get a tag.

Lot's of pole thickets to entertain those of us who hunt our elk like we hunt blacktails.

We hunt the famous zone between the candy bar wrappers and the tents with hay stacked near them for the horses.

Gary

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Not to get back to your posted question too quickly, but have you made a decision on a tent and stove combo? I asked Ed if he was willing to make a stove for others, he said "yes" depending on his time. He told me he designed and built the Kifaru stoves for 7 years. I've also seen his cylinder stove design on this forum. The man has talent and skills. Between him and Ti-Goat, I'm real happy with my proposed stove setup--haven't laid hands on any of it, yet.

If you like a hot meal while away from the tent, check out https://www.end2endtrailsupply.com/Stoves.html. He makes a fascinating alcohol stove for $10. I've read lots of posts on how to make a pop-can alcohol stove, but his is the smallest and for $10, you can't beat the price. I'll be heating some water on one of those this fall.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Shawn,when you get that rig set up in your yard the first time please post some pictures. Tim

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
ShawnRyan:Not to get back to your posted question too quickly, but have you made a decision on a tent and stove combo? I asked Ed if he was willing to make a stove for others, he said "yes" depending on his time. He told me he designed and built the Kifaru stoves for 7 years. I've also seen his cylinder stove design on this forum. The man has talent and skills. Between him and Ti-Goat, I'm real happy with my proposed stove setup--haven't laid hands on any of it, yet.

Shawn,

I made a decision on the tent. Origami 4 UL-from Moosejaw for $206.xx total including shipping. I used a 10% off coupon code
[LTM] to get there.

Footprint-47.00 with shipping from CampMor.

As to stoves; I'm not too sure I know who Ed is. If he has a good alternative I might be interested.

I have a couple of Kni-Co stoves now, an Alaskan and a Packer.

I will ask Kni-Co what they think. Their Packer Jr is a small stove that uses 12 in wood and has a 3 in pipe. Identical in end section to the Packer but shorter. It looks perfect to me. I bought one earlier for a 13' Hex Arctic tent but took it back when I figured out the nesting stove pipe wouldn't go in the stove [too long]. I later figured out I could buy a spare pipe set and shorten them.

I could also use my full size Packer. I like the idea because of the better draw with the 5 inch pipe. I kind of think the Packer will be a bit much but I may try it first. I like that it uses 16 in wood.

That gets me into a twist on the stove jack though. I would prefer to do it once. I suppose I could install a 5 in and Velcro a 3 in on top of it if need be.

Anyhow, I am not too sure yet.

I realize this isn't the lightest setup. It is a good compromise for seviceability per dollar though. I can easily carry it and all my supplies for a 5 day hunt on my Mtn Bike and Blue Sky bike trailer. Including water.

Two of us could easily haul in Grizzly cots too.

I have wanted wood stove capability in a lightweight tent that I could stand up in for a long time. I am excited.

With the footprint and the GI mosquito nets in the shed I think I can come up with a pretty serviceable "nest" also.

I regard this as a setup for two folks.

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Tim,
I got the tent and stove jack; they are at the seamstress for sewing. I dont' have the the stove, yet.

Dancing Bear, congratulations on the tent purchase. I know that feeling of wanting to get it all set up and working. Ed is "Ed T" on this site. He has a lot of posts on the "back pack hunting" topic. If you want to see his stoves, they are similar to the Kifaru stove at kifaru.net. I have not used the Kni-Co stove, but considered them. With the bike and trailer set up, you can carry the weight of their stoves easily.

Post some photos when you get it all set up.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Dancing Bear, check out Ed's post in the classified section. He has a family emergency and is selling gear, including stoves.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
The tent is in from Moosejaw and set up out back. By the time you guy everything out the pegs outweigh the tent.

I agree it is tough to get a tight pitch to the gound but I like the ventilation it gives for the 90 degree days.

Still waiting for the footprint from Campmor. At this point I plan to cut it up to make the eqivalent of a 12" sodcloth all around the base of the tent for winter stove use.

I will order a second one for the times I need one [$39.95 is a good price for a 10x11' footprint].

My wife asked what it was for and I said for our August camping trip [We usually use an SD 6 man or a 19' Arctic Fox]. For some reason she wasn't too impressed.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Post some pics of the floor when you get it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
101 members (338reddog, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 12 invisible), 1,372 guests, and 671 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,869
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.