Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Greg,

I enjoyed reading your article in Shooting Times on plains game rifles. I noticed in one of the pictures you were using a custom 7mm WSM, and wanted to ask you about your hunt with that rifle. Did you use the trophy bonded tipped, or fusion ammo? What animal(s) did you take with it? What range(s)? I would enjoy reading more details about your results with the 7WSM!

Thanks!

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Marty,

Thanks for the kind words.

That rifle belongs to George Gardner of GA Precision. He is a big fan of the 7mm WSM for long range work. We were shooting factory 160-grain Accubonds. I took a blesbok and black springbok with it, as well several baboons. The longest shot I made was a baboon at 635 yards. He shot a kudu at over 400 with it and several other animals. I don't recall how many or what his longest shot was, but George is a hell of a shot and nothing required a second.

Interestingly, we just returned from another safari and he brought a .308 and a wildcat .35 on a .223 WSSM case, but he is still a 7mm WSM fan. In fact, he pretty much has me talked into ordering a rifle like the one I used in that photo but with a hinged floorplate instead of a DM.

Greg Rodriguez
Global Adventure Outfitters, Inc.
www.mbogo.net
(281) 494-4151
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by GregR
Marty,

Thanks for the kind words.

That rifle belongs to George Gardner of GA Precision. He is a big fan of the 7mm WSM for long range work. We were shooting factory 160-grain Accubonds. I took a blesbok and black springbok with it, as well several baboons. The longest shot I made was a baboon at 635 yards. He shot a kudu at over 400 with it and several other animals. I don't recall how many or what his longest shot was, but George is a hell of a shot and nothing required a second.

Not to sound ignorant of the nuances of the American shooting public, but I've been rather disappointed with the lack of popularity of this cartridge, particularly compared to the 277 cal version. I don't get it, with all the different higher-BC bullets available in .284 compared to .277.

The only cartridge w/ "magnum" in the name that I have much interest in.

I look forward to reading that article as well!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I was pretty surprised by the cool reception to this cartridge, too. Especially given the popularity of the 7mms in general and the fact that the 7mm WSM may be the best of the WSM bunch. Even the .325 WSM outsells it.

Greg Rodriguez
www.mbogo.net
(281) 494-4151
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I also enjoyed the article, as I've noticed my taste in firearms is somewhat similar to yours. I'm generally reading your stuff first when ST arrives in my mail. Concerning the rifle in question, it looks like a Remington Varmint stock, or am I mistaken? That handle is becoming a favorite of mine.

Keep up the good work!

Last edited by JPro; 07/04/09. Reason: sp

Now with even more aplomb
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
JPro,

Thanks for the kind words. I really do appreciate it because you rarely hear from folks who like your stuff - usually only the guys who think you're an idiot bother to write :-)

That isn't my rifle so I am not 100%, but I believe that stock is McMillan's HTG.

Greg Rodriguez
www.mbogo.net
(281) 494-4151
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think you are correct, as I gave it another look and the stock wears texturing instead of checkering. The monte carlo threw me....

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I too enjoy reading your articles Greg.
ST is my all time favorite magazine as it covers a variety of topics and enjoys some of the best writers in the business.

Keep up the good work.

P.S
I like the fact that you occasionally add your kids into your articles, something more writers should consider doing.
RE

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
GregR is right up there with the best and has even more upside to go.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was pretty surprised by the cool reception to this cartridge, too. Especially given the popularity of the 7mms in general and the fact that the 7mm WSM may be the best of the WSM bunch. Even the .325 WSM outsells it.

When the 7 WSM was delayed for the redesign so it couldn't be accidently chambered in the 270 WSM, that was the kiss of death. Remember, in less than 2 years, the 300 WSM, 270 WSM, 300 SAUM, 7 SAUM were all on the market before the 7 WSM. I just think that the last one to the table found no room.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
JPro,

Thanks for the kind words. I really do appreciate it because you rarely hear from folks who like your stuff - usually only the guys who think you're an idiot bother to write :-)

That isn't my rifle so I am not 100%, but I believe that stock is McMillan's HTG.

Ok, while I'm at it, I also appreciate your work Greg. You seem to be a common sense guy who tells it like it is. IMO you are one of the best young writers out there.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by AB2506

When the 7 WSM was delayed for the redesign so it couldn't be accidently chambered in the 270 WSM, that was the kiss of death. Remember, in less than 2 years, the 300 WSM, 270 WSM, 300 SAUM, 7 SAUM were all on the market before the 7 WSM. I just think that the last one to the table found no room.

If I didn't have rifles in 7saum, 7-08, and 280 that did the job nicely, I'd be all excited to get a 7wsm..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We all have rifles that do the job nicely. Why not one more? smile

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
F
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
F
Greg,

I just bought the magazine last night and it's the first time I've purchased Shooting Times in a long while. I may have to subscribe; I like your writing, and Layne Simpson's. I was a little puzzled by the picture of you shooting that 7mm WSM though - since it has a big muzzle brake on it, and you said in your other article in the same magazine that you were not a fan of hunting with a muzzle brake. I guess it makes sense now since it wasn't your rifle. One minor complaint about the magazine, it seemed pretty thin to me... is that a sign of the times (recession)? I've noticed the trend in other magazines as well.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Guys,

Thanks for all the kind words. I have hunted for a living for a long time (I am an outfitter and booking agent), which is probably why I have always had a common sense approach. I hunt about 200 days a year, so I don't have the time or desire to spend day after day in the loading room trying to re-invent the wheel. It's funny how many folks feel the same way, though. I get more positive reader feedback when I write about common sense cartridges like the .260 or .280 or hunting with my kids than I do on any other subject.

fortymile,

I would definitely forgo the muzzle brake if it were my gun, and I wouldn't have that detachable magazine on a hunting rifle either, but that rifle is so accurate I had to shoot some stuff with it.

Sadly, thin pages are a sign of the times for the entire industry. Once the economy turns around, I think you'll see page counts increase.

Greg Rodriguez
www.mbogo.net
(281) 494-4151
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

GregR,

I enjoy reading your stuff too,I'm a fan of the 260 and 280 myself.

I have also become a fan of some of the WSM cartridges and you are one of very few writers still using them and writing about it.

Keep writing,you are good at it.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Hey Greg. How's your custom Bob doing? That was a nice write-up you gave it, Just wondering about the victim count, accuracy, etc.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

several guys that I shoot with long rangehave tried it. It is a accurate round but for some reason proven to be a barrel burner in asfew as 700 rounds the barrel is gone. Cick on BR.com and look in the 1000yd forum. Lots of info there.

Lefty C.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Guys,

I am walking out the door to go to the ranch and do some shooting with my kids in preparation for our upcoming family safari. I'll respond tomorrow night about that Bob.

Greg Rodriguez
www.mbogo.net
(281) 494-4151
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
a wildcat .35 on a .223 WSSM case

Greg,
I'd be interested in hearing more about that one. I've had several built on the 25 WSSM case (so same thing, I'm thinking). It's known as the 358 Indiana Deer Cartridge around here, since it fits the new DNR regs for deer hunting. I, however, have stolen from Dober and call it the 358 SFB (short fat bastid). grin

We're loading around 49 grains of Benchmark and getting 2,550 to 2,600 fps with a 200 grain hornady SP or 200 grain barnes TSX. Figure either of those will be more than enough on whitetails, so I'm real interested in what you guys used it for!

Thanks again...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

668 members (1lessdog, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,919 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,577
Posts18,454,007
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.