Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Lots' of folks sometimes type stuff that they later regret unfortunately on the Internet. I for one appreciate both JJHACK's and Tonks insights (if not the emotion). I'm thinking 600g Woodleigh PPs for big bears at 2100 fps and 570g TSX's backed by 570g Barnes Banded solids at 2150 fps for the big African beasties.

Once again thanks to JJHACK for sharing his experience and photos.

Chuck

Last edited by colorado; 07/05/09.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Safariman or Women, now that street runs both ways...Dah!

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Safariman.....Now YOU seem to say I have ranted with my posts but in reality sir, I have told the facts about those BARNES bullets weather you like it or not.

Now comes your post calling me a quote: BOY! Well, years ago I might have been but I can assure your arse I am not a boy any longer and I don't "rant or rave" about anything big game hunter.

I call a spade a spade and that should be simple enough for you or anyone else to understand. Sorry dear sir! It seems I have ruffled your tail feathers just a bit Rooster, to bad.

Now you can go play in the corner with your BARNES BULLETS and get all the satisfaction your heart desire's. I'll stick to my guns with NOSLER'S, SWIFT A FRAMES and TROPHY BONDED BEAR CLAWS bullets and won't have any disappointments on my hunts.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just for newbie Tonk-

*** You are ignoring this user ***

You earned it!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A good bullet, delivered in the right place will almost always deliver a satisfactory result when hunting.

Face it, there is no such thing as a perfect bullet, because it is impossible to design.

What are your most important parameters and in what order of ranking are they important?

Accuracy, penetration, retained weight, etc.?

Or just the result, dead game?

All bullets are compromises, because if you want a reasonable market share you have to convince a lot of folks that your product is good and everyone looks at these things slightly differently, so necessarily bullet mfgrs produce products which hopefully satisfy as many as possible.

I am still surprised how some bullets which have reps of high frangibility [Nosler BTs for example, in smaller calibers] often deliver great penetration. I remember hitting a hog in the shoulder from close range with a 150 gr BT from a .280.

It thoroughly penetrated both shoulders and almost blew the offside foreleg off. I did recover some shards of the bullet but there wasn't a whole lot left.

Still the piggie dropped on the shot and croaked very quickly.

Shot placement is everything.

Did this bullet fail?

Well I guess technically it might have in the sense that weight retention was almost nil.

If you set the argument up in advance you can almost always skew it to support your "facts" [often observations based on limited data points] but in the real world dead game is pretty much the determiner of whether a bullet "worked" or not.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Regretfully agree Hunts

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This might need to go to a new thread, say in hunting rifles or similar area but to me an exit wound is really important to give a good blood trail and to know that I got through the whole thoracic cavity BUT, If that was the ONLY parameter I would just shoot solids so some expansion is also important. Acuracy only needs to be good enough for hunting the game at hand at the ranges that engagement will occur. 1 inch groups at 100 yards are completely a non issue when hunting cape buff, for example. I do demand this and beter from my 257 WBY. In most cases the TSX and TTSX do all that I need a bullet to do and more.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
COLORADO: As this LOOOOONG thread shows, plenty of fine bullets out there...and plenty of opinions.

Here's one of the latter: with the very powerful firearm you are using, try the A-Square Dead Tough. Or, if you want/need a solid, A-Square Monolithic. Work awfuly well when downloaded. Accurate, consistent in quality and real-world performance.

BUT:

1. Not always easy to buy; and,
2. Bring your wallet.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks wpsuth. Since I've got a load pretty much worked up with the 570g TSX at 2100 fps and it's shooting sub MOA, I'll try it on deer and elk. If it expands well on them it should be fine on the bigger / tougher critters.

The dead tough 570g and 600g bullets are a good option I hadn't thought of.

Regards,

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Chuck, didn't you know that a 570gr bullet is not big enough to use on a deer? smile

Wow, and I though my shooting of ground squirrels with my 416 Rigby was a bad case of rifle looneyism.....

We simply MUST get a report back and some pictures of this adventure. A good idea, I must say. Nothing like actually taking your DGR out hunting and using it to gain familiarity with it.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Absolutely, elk and deer season are in October in Colorado. I may try for black bear as well.

smile

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm sure not taking sides in this, but I've shot seven African animals with Barnes bullets, and a pile of American animals with partitions and TSXs. All of them died and were recovered. So, as far as deadly, they're pretty much the same to me.

However,the Barnes are far more accurate in my guns (223, 243, 260, 270, 7-08, 308, 30-06, 300 SAUM, 300 Win Mag and 375 H&H).

could be a fluke, though ;-)

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Thank you for taking the time to post your very complete results using these bullets.

I am set to start using the Barnes bullets in 2 rifles I will hunt with this year. I cannot imagine them expanding less or killing worse than the wasp 100 grain broadheads I kill deer with. In my lifetime I have personally not shot a WT deer yet that I could not find if it had two holes in it (in and out). I have however trailed a bunch with one hole in them from an underpowered bow with dull broadheads and we find about half of those sometimes after hours of crawling thru every type of snake infested lyme tick hole in the county. Many years ago I got a bad corneal abrasion from a twig doing that trailing at night once, again 50 pound bow and a butt shot in Eastern NC.

Thankfully the State of GA is looking out for us and we can now use crossbows. My "bud" bought one a few years ago and he has only lost one in the last few years with the 175 pound crossbow.

It is a fact that I do not need to shoot barnes bullets to kill GA whitetail deer, but its a free(r) country (so far) and it is my perception that they seem to offer some force amplification. So if they shoot in my rifles I get to burn less of my now $27/pound powder to do the same thing!

After shooting into some catalogs at 100 yards last week with 4 of my rifles and standard bullets I am positive that if I were to ever get to go to Africa, my 300WSM would be loaded with Barnes bullets.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My brother was shooting squirrels with a .177 cal pellet rifle. I don't have a heavy rifle, but had a massive failure with my 338 win mag small bore. Such a failure that all I saw was a red mist when the trigger broke. Probably too fast at an old X bullet 175 gr at 3200 ft/sec. I fear it was bent or tumbled when it hit the squirrel. I did not recover either the sqirrel or the bullet. Makes me want to quit using those old poor quality bullets. Squirrel at 150 yds on the top of my neighbours feed shed. He let me have first shot as he was sure those inaccurate Barnes would probably miss or only wound.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
612 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 12308300, 1badf350, 54 invisible), 2,850 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,740
Posts18,401,130
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.