Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
78CJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ok, so my dad drew a once in a lifetime tag for elk here in Michigan and we need to find a load for his '06. The first thing that the guide and several others say is to get some 180's.

Now, I am a bigger fan than most of heavy bullets but dad really prefers the recoil with 150's and I am concerned that we will be sacrificing comfort and shot placement with a heavier bullet.

If there is no problem downing elk with a 150 grainer in a .270 than why not in an '06.

Any shot offered should be inside 200 yards.

Thanks

Ryan

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Haven't used that combo for Elk but confidence rules and I wouldn't hesitate to go with it. If I was loading from scratch I would probably go 165-168 X. But a 150 will perform similar to a cup and core 180 with more penetration and slightly smaller wound channel. The 150s in 7mm work well on the medium to large hoofed game.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Hate to be boring with a reply but...
+1 to what Tejano said...
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That combination will shoot flat, hit hard, and penetrate like hell. Go for it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I KNOW they work great on moose, and have carried that combo for elk. Can't imagine it not working just fine.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have used the T-TSX 150 grain bullet in 30-06 on Red Deer, with no problems. I think you will be fine.

I would not hesitate to use this combo on an Elk hunt.

Last edited by Hammerdown; 07/04/09.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Just tell the guide the bullets ARE 180's. This little white lie will prevent any silly arguments.

I have found many guides to be pretty mule-headed in their "knowledge," partly I'd guess because they consider themsevles experts in all things related to hunting. They may be great at finding game, but this doesn't mean they know much about rifles, ammo, scopes. etc.

A good example is that I am very comfortable using 6x scopes in thick cover, in fact prefer 6x because I can often see the target better than with traditional "woods" scopes (and can oftgen see intervening twigs better as well).

On my first hunt in Africa I had my .375's scope on 6x while hunting in some fairly thick thornbrush. At one point the PH looked at me and asked what magnification my scope was set on. I said 6x and he told me turn it down. Instead of arguing I acted like I turned it down, but didn't.

Tell the guide they're 180's. He'll never know the difference.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
While 180gr is a good recommendation for lead core bullets, in the X series the 150 will give better penetration than the lead cored ones, with the added benefit of more velocity and magnum like performance. I would go with the T-TSX if it's available to you.

TC

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I reloaded some 150 TSX bullets for my 30-06 and then ran a test shot into an apple box filled full of newspapers and telephone books. The bullet went all the way through the apple box, through the cooler that the box was sitting on, through the floor of the trailer, and then bounced off of the steel bumper of the trailer. I dug the bullet out of the ground and weighed it. It weighed 149 grains. Not a very scientific test, but I sure was impressed with the penetration! The bullet was a picture perfect Barnes "X" shape.

That load was sitting over a healthy but safe charge of H4350, ran over the chronograph at 3039 fps, and gave me 3/4" groups. I wouldn't hesitate to use that load on an Elk.

78CJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, I went and shot three strings today. 48,49, and 50 grains of H4895 with 150tsx's in RP once fired brass with WLR primers.

The 48 grain group was the best and mildest but showed some funny pressure signs (primers backing out and sticky extraction), velocities were on par with Barnes data but the recoil is less than desireable.

Back to square one. I am a recoil junkie and I did not shoot the max 51 grain load.

Ryan

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by JBabcock

That load was sitting over a healthy but safe charge of H4350, ran over the chronograph at 3039 fps, and gave me 3/4" groups. I wouldn't hesitate to use that load on an Elk.

Have you tried the 4350 yet? I like the H4350 too, and its another "go to" powder for the '06...
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've used the 130 TSX out of the -06 on a bunch of deer. I've yet to recover a single one. I'd use it on elk in a heartbeat.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I haven't tried IMR 4350 with that bullet in that gun, (JC Higgins FN 98) but I have used it in a custom CZ 550 30-06 built by AHR that I have, with excellent results.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Just tell the guide the bullets ARE 180's. This little white lie will prevent any silly arguments.

I have found many guides to be pretty mule-headed in their "knowledge," partly I'd guess because they consider themsevles experts in all things related to hunting. They may be great at finding game, but this doesn't mean they know much about rifles, ammo, scopes. etc.

A good example is that I am very comfortable using 6x scopes in thick cover, in fact prefer 6x because I can often see the target better than with traditional "woods" scopes (and can oftgen see intervening twigs better as well).

On my first hunt in Africa I had my .375's scope on 6x while hunting in some fairly thick thornbrush. At one point the PH looked at me and asked what magnification my scope was set on. I said 6x and he told me turn it down. Instead of arguing I acted like I turned it down, but didn't.

Tell the guide they're 180's. He'll never know the difference.

It's amazing how many "professionals", whether guides, outfitters, store reps etc, are blinded by tradition and often have no interest in keeping up to date. An example are the store reps who try to talk people into not buying a WSM. "They won't be around in 10 years. Besides they don't do anything that can't be done with an existing cartridge. etc" It just floors me that people who make their living with firearms don't keep up on their reading and experimenting etc. I just they just aren't all rifle loonies.

Frustrates the hell out of me. Do what Mule Deer says.

Last edited by AB2506; 07/04/09.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by 78CJ
Well, I went and shot three strings today. 48,49, and 50 grains of H4895 with 150tsx's in RP once fired brass with WLR primers.

The 48 grain group was the best and mildest but showed some funny pressure signs (primers backing out and sticky extraction), velocities were on par with Barnes data but the recoil is less than desireable.

Back to square one. I am a recoil junkie and I did not shoot the max 51 grain load.

Ryan

Try working up to 51.5 of Varget with the 150s or maybe a better bet is the TTSX 130 over 53 or so of Varget. With as many elk as have been killed with 270s shooting 130 grain bullets I doubt one will notice you snuck a 130 grain TTSX into his chest and just run off laughing. The 130 grain TTSX kills deer as well as anything and does not stop in them. Most guns seem to like them at around 3150 FPS, an the recoil is less than the 150s.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Scientific enough for me........ cool

Originally Posted by JBabcock
I reloaded some 150 TSX bullets for my 30-06 and then ran a test shot into an apple box filled full of newspapers and telephone books. The bullet went all the way through the apple box, through the cooler that the box was sitting on, through the floor of the trailer, and then bounced off of the steel bumper of the trailer. I dug the bullet out of the ground and weighed it. It weighed 149 grains. Not a very scientific test, but I sure was impressed with the penetration! The bullet was a picture perfect Barnes "X" shape.

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Use whatever you want.....it's your hunt!

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
My wife's moose load is a 150 TSX in Winchester brass with a Federal 210 primer, and loaded with 48 grains of H4895. Here is a picture of the results. wink

[Linked Image]

One shot, dropped at the shot. 60 yards braodside - high shoulder/spined. Never moved an inch. Finishing shot (ALWAYS) to the back of the head - execution style. grin

What you can see is 500 pounds. Doubt an elk will present a more difficult kill.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Just go with the 150's. I handload 150 gr. TSXes for my son's .30-06- Chrono velocity is 2950 fps, out of a 22" barrel. Light recoil, flat shooting round.

Just tell the guide (if asked) that they are 180 grainers- nobody is going to weigh them!!

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I agree with all of them thar guys!

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

322 members (1lesfox, 2500HD, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1eyedmule, 34 invisible), 1,593 guests, and 915 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,062
Posts18,463,341
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.