Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Popapi
Originally Posted by HUNTS
I'm with Mark- T3
Me to all day long, can't bet it.

Make it 3 of us. I have a T3 in a 25.06 and it is awesome!

War Damn Eagle!
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
Hi Geo. Boy,

The Bottom metal on Browning X-Bolt's is Metal. The only thing Polymer is the clip.

Best,

Dee

Thanks for the clairification.

GB

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I would have chosen the SPS but after handling a SS Hawkeye the other day at the gunstore I think that would get my vote - it just somehow felt right. It was a LH 270 with the laminate stock and didn't feel too heavy and seemed to balance well. Can't see that the 25-06 would be any different.

Have to admit have never warmed to Browning bolt guns but plenty of others have.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It was a LH 270 with the laminate stock and didn't feel too heavy and seemed to balance well. Can't see that the 25-06 would be any different.

The difference is that Ruger typically uses a magnum contour barrel on thier 25-06 models, thus making them seem muzzle heavy. The .270 you saw likely had a slimmer sporter barrel on it.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by biglmbass
It was a LH 270 with the laminate stock and didn't feel too heavy and seemed to balance well. Can't see that the 25-06 would be any different.

The difference is that Ruger typically uses a magnum contour barrel on thier 25-06 models, thus making them seem muzzle heavy. The .270 you saw likely had a slimmer sporter barrel on it.

I did manage to get my hands on a wood-stocked .25-06 Hawkeye. It does indeed sport a heavier barrel and felt awkward. However, this is going to be a long-range rifle for speed goats, muleys and whitetails in hay fields...not a mountain rifle...so I may be able to live with it.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
If I was going to buy a new rifle I would like the one you want I would go with the Kimber 8400 montana. But out of the 3 that you listed I would say the ruger, but that is just a personal preferance. 3 different people will have 3 different oppinions and it just boils down to what you like.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Update: Thanks to all who responded. It looks like I'll be getting the Remington 700 SPS Stainless. I'll have the trigger worked before I ever chamber a round in it, and plan to "semi-customize" the rifle over a period of time, first having the action trued then eventually adding a McMillan stock.

I think I'll top it with a Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42 with Ballistic Plex reticle in Talley mounts. It should make a fine, value-oriented speed goat rig!

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
try the savage weather war. it less then 1 in. at 100

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Another T3 in 25-06 here.Just scope it and shoot it.You will be be happy.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Remington in the CDL.
It will be accurate, has good ergonomics, American made.

I like the T3 and was a Tikka rep in the NW at one time.
But to much plastic for my taste.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SU35
Remington in the CDL.
It will be accurate, has good ergonomics, American made.

I like the T3 and was a Tikka rep in the NW at one time.
But to much plastic for my taste.

I won't get the Tikka in .25-06. That is definite. I want a 24" barrel, minimum.

I like the CDL and its stock design, but Remington doesn't offer it in SS in .25-06. If they did, it would be an eaasy choice. And if they hadn't put a 1-9" twist in their .260 offerings, I would have snapped up the CDL SF Special Edition they offered in .260 a few years ago.

Sometimes, Remington's product offerings are perplexing, to say the least.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by ReadyRob
Originally Posted by Popapi
Originally Posted by HUNTS
I'm with Mark- T3
Me to all day long, can't bet it.

Make it 3 of us. I have a T3 in a 25.06 and it is awesome!

I enjoy my T3 .25-06.........

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
I'd toss the Browning off the list because I prefer rifles I can unload the chamber with the safety on, yes I know muzzle control and my brain are the ultimate safeties however that is my preference.

Mike

The x-bolt can be unloaded with the safety on. I have the stainless syn. x-bolt, and I shoot the winchester 110 gr accubonds. Works excellent on MO whitetail.

Last edited by wsmfan; 07/18/09.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I've never been happy with the complicated way the A-Bolts are made. I've seen a fair number of hook style extractors and plunger style ejectors malfunction.
What turned me off of them were JJHack's comments about their failing in the field. Comments like "I've seen more A-Bolts fail than everything else put together." And, "I've seen every make fail in the field except Winchesters and Rugers." I've noted that his personal rifles are Winchester CRF and the similar Rugers. So, when given a choice, I tend to go for those as well. E

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
SS - good man. I looked into the 25-06 cartridge and bought an SPS after looking at all the options. The Hawkeye wasn't out yet or I would have looked at that as well.

I had mine squared, lugs lapped, trigger tuned. I also changed out the Rem firing pin for a Callaghan. I just bedded it last weekend in the SPS stock but plans are to put it in a McEdge.

Topped with Talleys and 3-9x40 Leupie it weighs a shade over 7.5 w/o boolits. It is a nice rifle and will balance well although I wouldn't put more than a 3-9x40 on it.

You'll like it.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
seattlesetters: It looks like you've picked the Rem. Good choice. But I'll toss my 2 cents your way for the heck of it. My .25-06 is a Ruger MK2 SS with the mag contour barrel It fits me well and balances nicely, and SHOOTS! Like you, I use it for prohghorns and open country mule deer. If the extra 1lb is no biggie, I'd give the Ruger alook. Good luck. Tom

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

590 members (22250rem, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 2500HD, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,127 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,281
Posts18,448,539
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.