Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Hi � long time lurker, new poster. I posted this on another Firearms forum so if you read it on the highroad I appoligize.

I found a 1959 Winchester Model 70 in 270. It is safe queen clean - like SUPER clean. trigger feels great, stock is in great shape (no cracks, etc.) blueing is SUPER deep, etc.

I've read the "post war" M70s don't have the "quality" of the really early ones. Is that just collectors hogwash or is there something I should look for? the guy is asking nearly $1K so I don't want to rush in - that�s a lot of money. I do realize that some Pre 64 M70s go upwards of $2K - I know they have value.

Man it shoulders nice.

It has a rubber "checked" type recoil pad - looks factory, but after looking I'm guessing the other owner put it on (says Winchester on it) - looks similar to an old Pachmyer recoil pad.

No front site (never had one) - rear site had a flat spot for it, but it was never installed - nothing was brazed to it. Doesn't say Supergrade on the mag plate (I looked because it had no sites) - it has a 24" barrel.

The wood is nice - it's not super fancy, but the checking is pretty sharp. Everything feels solid about it - sn is 44XXXX and it came back late 58 - early 59 on my lookup.

Any thoughts on this or should I pull the trigger? I�m going to pull the barreled action today and check the date on the barrel to make sure it�s original. It does have a proof on the left side that matches the proof on the left side of the receiver.

Thanks,

Jeff

BP-B6

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Pix would help a lot, especially of the stock and cheekpiece (if any).. It could be several things re: recoil pad.. Original, special order.. Replacement for the steel plate.. Aftermarket added later..

What price range is this in?

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Redneck
Pix would help a lot, especially of the stock and cheekpiece (if any).. It could be several things re: recoil pad.. Original, special order.. Replacement for the steel plate.. Aftermarket added later..

What price range is this in?

I'll try to get some pictures. If I recall it has a straight comb stock. The recoil pad looks like this one as well. The stock does NOT have the cheekpieces like this one but the foreend is the same and it has factory swivels that look like this one. But no sights.

[Linked Image]

This looks more like it - [Linked Image]

It's right around $1K - I live in Cali so prices here are a little higher then other free states.

Last edited by Paradiddle; 07/21/09.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I would have to say that the rifle probably had a front sight silver soldered on at some time and am asuming the flat spot you are referring to is a dovetail cut into the barrel for the original rear sight which is now missing. Makes me wonder if it has been reblued since removing the front site leaves a bare spot. Doubt if the recoil pad is original on a 270. A 98% original would fetch around $1500, but if it isn't original that figure would be cut in half.
dan

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by dsducati
I would have to say that the rifle probably had a front sight silver soldered on at some time and am asuming the flat spot you are referring to is a dovetail cut into the barrel for the original rear sight which is now missing. Makes me wonder if it has been reblued since removing the front site leaves a bare spot. Doubt if the recoil pad is original on a 270. A 98% original would fetch around $1500, but if it isn't original that figure would be cut in half.
dan

Yeah - beginning to wonder myself. It's not a dovetail but more of a platform, soldered to the barrel for the rear sight. I can't see anything left over so if it was removed it was done well. Blueing looks original because the letter are so clear, but it could be a fake. The bummer is I just want a good solid hunting rifle, I really like the feel of the M70 and I really like this one in particular - it's just retarded that I have to be concerned about a fake because it's a pre 64...jeeze....

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Could be anything and dsducati could be right. A standard 270 did not come with a recoil pad, so stock is not all original. The missing sights could be either factory special order,a Gopher Special(unlikely),or probably someone removed the sites. Could be reblue.

Still....with all that,and even if it's just a shooter,if it's mechanically sound it will likely outlast you and me and still be hunting after we're long gone.And in all liklihood, it will feed,extract, eject,and work flawlessly,and probably outshoot a new Kimber...and you could throw the barrel and stock away and still get $500 for the action alone.If you want to make a custom rifle on it, you can do that,too.

Is that worth a grand? I dunno...up to you grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Jeff,

If you just want to have a pre'64 M70 this one looks OK. You are correct they do seem to sell for higher prices here in California, but $1,000 seems high to me. The serial number range is not optimum for the post-War rifles that were dimensionally the best for building custom rifles.

What do you want to do with the rifle?

And welcome to the List.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Could be anything and dsducati could be right. A standard 270 did not come with a recoil pad, so stock is not all original. The missing sights could be either factory special order,a Gopher Special(unlikely),or probably someone removed the sites. Could be reblue.

Still....with all that,and even if it's just a shooter,if it's mechanically sound it will likely outlast you and me and still be hunting after we're long gone.And in all liklihood, it will feed,extract, eject,and work flawlessly,and probably outshoot a new Kimber...and you could throw the barrel and stock away and still get $500 for the action alone.If you want to make a custom rifle on it, you can do that,too.

Is that worth a grand? I dunno...up to you grin
What he said..

Hard to beat for a hunting rifle.. As Bob said, you can always sell the action alone for $500 and the stock for another 1-200 so you won't lose much..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
715 members (12308300, 160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 90 invisible), 2,704 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,696
Posts18,399,917
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.