Print Thread
Hop To
A
arky65 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I have a model 70 stealth 22-250 that leaves the empty case laying on top of the follower when extracted. My question; is there any difference between this model's ejector and any other post 64 model 70? Want to order the right parts.

arky65

There is a war on America and America is losing
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The pushfeed M70's used a couple of different diameters, on their ejectors, over the years.

NRA Life Patron Member Benefactor Level
USN/USMC Vietnam Vet 1969-70
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Either one of two things, or a combination of both, can cause this problem.

Take a spent case and insert into the chamber.. Close the bolt, then slowly open it keeping an eye on the case.. There should be noticable pressure on the LH casehead to keep the mouth firmly against the RH receiver side.. If it's not, and the case just drops off and lays there, remove the bolt.. Take a tool and check the ejector for ease of movement and somewhat firm pressure.. Usually, the ejectors of PF models are the most neglected item on the rifle.. If the movement's impeded, sluggish, or not very firm, it must be removed and cleaned.. There's a small retaining pin that must be driven out to release the ejector.. Ensure you keep control of those parts and not let them take off on you.. A fair amount of spring pressure's there. Check the spring.. It's possible (if weak pressure) that it has broken (rare) and is beginning to collapse.. Clean the recess thoroughly - removing all oil/grease/fouling/whatever.. Clean the spring (if intact - replace if not) and re-install the ejector/spring and retaining pin.

Now, check the extractor.. The cammed edge must not be worn.. The movement must not be impeded.. Check the plunger/spring.. Take a pin-punch and hold down the plunger (through the hole in the extractor) and slide the extractor outward being VERY careful to place your finger over the unit to contain the spring and plunger when released.. Examine those parts for integrity.. Clean the recess thoroughly..

If the rifle's had a lot of rounds down the bore, it's very possible the extractor has worn enough not to retain the case head firmly enough to allow the ejector to work properly. Replace the extractor if it shows wear.. There are two types - so make sure you replace it with the correct one.. You need the part # U351900970 which is the one for a 22-250..

Hope this helps..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sometimes a case being ejected from a rifle will hit the bottom of the scope and land in the action. I have seen this more than once. Try taking the scope off the rifle and ejecting an empty case a few times. If the problem goes away, put the scope back on and try it again. If the problem comes back, there you have it.

There are two cures that I know of. First try mounting the scope in higher rings. This usually cures it but not always. I had a Sako M995 that would not eject empty 30-378 cases with anything but super-high rings.

Sometimes during ejection the cases hit the windage turret that protrudes over the ejection port. Try rotating your scope 90 degrees in the rings so that the windage turret becomes the elevation, and vice-versa. This is rather unconventional but it has cured the problem for me.

-

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
A
arky65 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Redneck and Redhead thank you for your quick response. It really has not been an issue to me but I am thinking of selling this rifle and want it to function properly before I sell it. I will perform the inspections you suggested Redneck next week when I get home.

Redhead, I have watched the extraction process and it is not hitting the scope (first thing I thought of). I have seen this with other rifles also.

Again thank you both for your input.

arky

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I'd bet dollars to donuts replacing the extractor will solve your problem..At any rate its a simple fix and any gunsmith worth his salt can fix it pronto..

A
arky65 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Well I got home early and have checked out the bolt, the ejector is recessed well short of the front of the bolt, it extends out of the recess in the bolt face but not fully flush with the front of the bolt. The ejector seems to be plenty stiff but I am thinking that if it does not fully extend to the front of the bolt it will not apply enough force to eject the empty case. I removed and cleaned the extractor, spring and plunger as all I needed for tools was a push pin.

I will get more into it Sunday or Monday as all my gunsmith tools and books are out at my country place, as that is where I do all my shooting and reloading.

arky

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

505 members (1OntarioJim, 204guy, 222ND, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 37 invisible), 1,937 guests, and 1,097 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,064
Posts18,463,464
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.