Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3199051 08/02/09
175rltw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
They arrived today. This is what backpacking boots are all about. One piece leather construction, with leather interior too, which feels amazing, I wouldn't hesitate to wea these without socks ecept I want them to lat forever. These are STIFF boots, but very comfortable out of the box. Roomy across the foot and arch, but with a nice snug heel cup. Initial inspection shows very high quality construction. These boots are bery similar to some Vasque Super Hiker II's that I had about 15 years ago, or to the old Scarpa SL2's. I am in Afghanistan currently and spen lots of time with a heavy backpack and gear on brutal mountains without trails, so I will give an update as things progress, but my initial thoughts are these will make me as happy as any boots I've ever has. A note, I don't like goretex lineers or all that, because once you wax your boots they loose alot of breathablitiy any way, and are just as waterproof as a Gtx boot, lus I don't care for all the extra insulation or weight the Gtx provides. If you want Gtx this may not be a good boot for you.

BP-B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I'm curious, how long was delivery to Afghanistan?

175rltw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The quickest I ever see anything is about 11-12 days, and that's if the mail gets to a big FOB a2 days before they are flying out to me. If it doesn't hit all the stops just right then call it a month, I was waiting on these for about 3 weeks. But it's so sporadic. It gets here in a week, then it's got to fly to the FOB my unit is headquartered ou tof, and then when they feel liek it they fly it to us. So much like a drive in the city, it can be quick "If you hit all the lights just right" or not so much

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have that same boot plugged into my favorites list -plan on getting a pair when i get back home [working out of state].

I've never liked the tall type boots when covering a lot of country.
Looking forward to hearing how you like them down the road.
Be ssafe -Mike

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Can you wear them with your duty uniform or are uniformity standards relaxed over there ?

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by 175rltw
The quickest I ever see anything is about 11-12 days, and that's if the mail gets to a big FOB a2 days before they are flying out to me. If it doesn't hit all the stops just right then call it a month, I was waiting on these for about 3 weeks. But it's so sporadic. It gets here in a week, then it's got to fly to the FOB my unit is headquartered ou tof, and then when they feel liek it they fly it to us. So much like a drive in the city, it can be quick "If you hit all the lights just right" or not so much

Sounds about like rural Oklahoma.

What wax are you using on the Lowas? Nik?

175rltw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yeah I like Nikwax alot and also aquaseal. Nikwax is what I'm using right now my unit enjoys relaxed grooming and uniform standards depending on what we are doing. I think my CSM would hang me by the ears if I tried to wear these back home however. We recently were issued the Danner Combat Hiker to test, which I would compare to an inferior version of the Vasque Sundowner. It has the D type (not sure the actual technical cobblers name) rings for laces all the way up, then an eyelet at the top. It is a 6-7" boot of Nubuck with some sort of synthetic around the base above the sole, it is fairly stiff. However the fact that that you don't have the hooks at the top means you absolutley can not lace the lower portion tightly, it is a huge pain in a--. additionally, the laces run straight along the tounge for the whole length, instead of having the one that is essentially at the top of your foot/ bottom of your leg set back a little so it helps wrap the boot around your foot. I will take these and have hooks installed at a boot store on leave and then revaluate them. I'm sure this description is totally inadequate and unclear, but you may be able to view a picture on Danner's website for a little insight into what I'm talking about. I'll post some pictures at aome point as well. All in all the danner seems OK if it was modified somewhat, ie address the issues with how it laces, and the lower portion over the leather, which I am sure is to help keep the Nubuck from getting cut, is sewn, and the seems are always popping, and it should be cemented instead (I have done this to mine, and they don't blow out now, but I don't have a platoon's worht of shoe goo). The fit is somewhat wide, I wear 12 in it and wish it were slightly narrower. The above all pertains to the Danner, not the Lowa

Last edited by 175rltw; 08/02/09.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I found a pair in my size 2 years ago at a small backpacking shop that had been returned. They had no box or papers, but were only $75. It took a LOOONG time to get them broken in and I almost gave up on them. At first they were very comfortable to wear on level ground and around the house. Walking on hills was tough for a while. They are my all time favorite now however.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I found a pair of Banffs at REI on their scratch and dent rack for $69 a couple of years back. I agree with the above comments, quality construction, one peice leather upper, leather lined,... I don't know how long the previous owner used them but I had next to 0 break in. I wouldn't say the shank/sole is stiff, they aren't nearly as stiff as the Scarpa SLs I have.

175rltw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I don't have my Sl2's handy and you may be right, perhaps more on par with the deltas. I am just wearing them around right now, I go out for a week and a half or so and will be using a different pair of boots for that, but my next long haul I'll use them and report back.

IC B3

175rltw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I don't have my Sl2's handy and you may be right, perhaps more on par with the deltas. I am just wearing them around right now, I go out for a week and a half or so and will be using a different pair of boots for that, but my next long haul I'll use them and report back.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Be safe.

Conrad

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I got these boots this spring and they are comfy. I have hiked in them 5.5 hours straight this year with no sit down breaks or anything and they felt like I was using trail runners at the end of the hike.

They were also great when I was off trail. Didn't slip on the steep rock or heather hillsides.

By far the most comfortable boot I have worn. I wish I would of bought these years ago.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I bought a pair of banff's on sale the other day for $175 shipped -08' model.
They are stiff !
I'll start the break-in soon -they fit great and look to be very well made.-Mike

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like mine so far, Mike.
Mine are also still fairly new and still stiff.

If they are anything like my Sheephunters, they will take a while to break in, but once they do, they are very nice indeed.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

175rltw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've been using these almost excllusively since I started this thread, for all kinds of hiking with a load varyin gfrom about 35lbs to well over 100 depending what I'm doing. LOTS of up and down and the terrain is severe. They are holding up extremely well. THey are far cooler than any Gtex boot could hope to be, but I'm sure they'll be warm enough too, I've seen a little mid 20 sgree weather so far in the night and my feet weren't cold at all. Mine are no longer nubuck in appearance as I Nikwaxed them they look more like normal leather now, still look good. and are way waterproof. I don't feel like I lose any waterproffness over a Gtex boot with proper leather treatment.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Tim i'm hoping these banff's along with the montbell stretch gaiters will be all the boot i need.

175rltw -I haven't found waterproof goretex to be waterproof.
I think i'm going to like them.-Mike

Posted by Bristoe
175rltw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm right there with you on that, I am not a fan of Gtex boots, I have plenty of various pairs of them and none see any use to speak of, maybe if I washed my truck Id wear em. I just use the OR gaiters and am happy as a clam. I'm not using gaiters here obviously, but in the real world... I'm probably going to try to scoop up another pair of them while they are still here, for use in about 5 years when these are done...

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
What is the difference between the Banff's and say the Tibet Pro or the Baffin's?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
The baffin is the same as the tibet but has no goretex and they are a taller boot than the banff.

Last edited by ol_mike; 10/18/09.

Posted by Bristoe
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Thanks Mike. I have just ordered a pair of the Baffin's for $179.00. Just wondering how they were different to the Banff's. So the lower profile of the Banff's is the only thing that will contribute to the lower weight?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I think so ,don't see what else would.
That's a lot of boot for $179 !
Good score.-Mike

Posted by Bristoe
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I got them from Baker's Shoe. They were the last of the 2008 model apparently, I bought the last pair.

They also have some 2008 Banff's for that price. Only in some sizes though.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
That's where i got mine -had 3 sizes and the old number 12 last on that short list.

Posted by Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ol_mike
I think so ,don't see what else would.
That's a lot of boot for $179 !
Good score.-Mike

179 clams for a pair of Lowas IS a good score!
grin

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Just received the Baffin's this morning. Very happy. If it wasn't the last pair, I would have ordered another pair just to keep them until needed. Looking forward to getting some miles on them.

Last edited by Grunter; 10/22/09.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
How do you guys feel about the Lowa Seekers? Has anyone used them in the past. I will use them for upland or flatland whitetail hunting.

Thanks

http://www.bakershoe.com/boots-shoes.cfm/brand/lowa-boots/product/lowa-seeker-olive/

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I see that the baker shoe site has the Banff in a size 13 for $175, nooooo! You guys are killing me. The pair I have now were $70 from REI scratch and dent sale. I don't NEED a new pair but at that price...

I wanted to pick up the Sitka 90% pant to replace the Gamehide pants I currently use. Decisions, decisions.

M
M
I purchased these boots 4 years ago after a very long search for a high quality leather boot , and by now I have had that pair resoled. The leather is still in great condition despite lots of hiking in rough and wet terrain, and my not conditioning them as often as I should smile. Therefore I decided to order another pair , even though my 4-year-old boots will probably last another 5 years or more. I spent so much time trying on boots four years ago, but now I found http://www.bootzoom.com/ and it has great reviews about boots.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by monty_thiessen
I purchased these boots 4 years ago after a very long search for a high quality leather boot , and by now I have had that pair resoled. The leather is still in great condition despite lots of hiking in rough and wet terrain, and my not conditioning them as often as I should smile. Therefore I decided to order another pair , even though my 4-year-old boots will probably last another 5 years or more. I spent so much time trying on boots four years ago, but now I found http://www.bootzoom.com/ and it has great reviews about boots.

Sure, you purchased another pair of boots that they quit making a few years ago and tell us about some website (reviews).

M
M
After I got great opinions about Timberland PRO Men's 95567 Endurance , I bought it 3 months ago . Most comfortable and bad environment ready boot I've ever owned. I've bought LoWa boots for a long time and decided to give this Timberland PRO Men's 95567 Endurance Pr 8" Work boot a try. Well I'm in love and throwing away the rear-view mirror. Timberland just went to the head of the class in my book and trust me I've been wearing safety work boots for 35 years in the Power Plant Industry and I finally found a boot comfortable and tough enough to handle what I can do to a pair of boots. Great job Timberland. I'm impressed! http://www.bootratings.com/ was very helpful for my decision . It has great reviews about it .

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
364 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 36 invisible), 2,285 guests, and 958 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,884
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.