Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
we've been using it for several years with great success, we put out salt blocks near our trail camears & pour the persimmon flavor buck jam all over them, keeps the deer coming.

this year, i havent seen any persimmon on the sleves, thought it is a bit early....just apple & peanut butter.

hope they havent discontinued it.

============================================================

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I believe the Tasco and cheaper Bushy at WM are nearly the same cam.

I personally don't care for flash cams. I used two digital flash cams for a while. When I would set them in a location, the deer activity would quickly come to a halt even if the cam was set on a feeder. About that time I had two different hunters tell me they witnessed the flashes scaring deer with their cams. This is a highly debated topic with some folks. For me, the flash cams were a waste of time and $. I have 3 IR units now and the same deer will keep coming by over and over, so apparently it doesn't spook them like the flash. I can place them in a plot or on a feeder and the deer will stay for a while(several pics)w/o leaving the scene.

Trying the new Bushnell Tropy Cam now. I just got it in this wknd and set it on my dogs feeder out back for a trial run before going to the field. 2 year wtty, tiny size, and the best battery life I've seen advertised. I hope it's a keeper.

Have a Good One,

loder

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Not until his blueberries run out.

laugh

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Tried Buck Jam in an area lousy with white tails-they paid no attention to it. Salt,corn,apples,Imperial White Tail Clover,Buck Forage oats, just damn near everything - but Buck Jam - worked.

O

Too old to suffer fools
Enrique Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I built my ground blind yesterday mid day and poured out that buck jam stuff.
The blind sits a little higher up the hill than where I poured my buck jam, to sorta have my scent be a little higher than the deer like a tree stand. But the angle won't be too bad to mess up my shot.
The scent on that stuff is strong! Even after it starts to dry and is dry. I poured it in the ground in 5 different spots in front of my blind to spread it out a little and give me the best angles for a shot. I poured it on a limb of a tree that had broken and dried and was still kinda hanging on the tree, but on the ground as well. It seeped into the dry limb and you could see a white salt line forming where it had been poured and still smelled really strong.
Next I poured it on the ground off a little trail so that if a buck stopped to lick it or eat it, I could draw and his eyes would be blocked by limbs, but his vitals would be right in the open for a clear shot.
Then I poured some on and around a little ant hole where a few trails kinda come together. As well as in different spots away from the hole close to the trails that come in to make sure I maximized all the possible shots I could take. Then I poured some on a log on the ground and it got that salt line as well. I poured between half to 3/4's of that jug in the area where I would have a say 20 to 40 yard shot. It feels almost perfect for a set up. The trails have been used a lot and there was plenty of sign on the ground (tracks and poop) to indicate there was a good supply of deer in the area.

The hunt starts Friday so I got it set up a week before the hunt starts. I wion't hike in that day due to me not being able to hunt there in the morning. But I will be in there about 30 to 60 minutes before light to avoid spooking anything. I am gonna pour the rest of my buck jam in the spot or close to the spot that has been hit the hardest by the deer. and a little closer to my blind to get the easiest shot possible. I am stoked about the whole set up. I just hope my dream buck that I passed on last deer season do to not being able to make a confident shot shows up to eat buck jam and takes an arrow in the boiler room.

You guys think the way I set things up will work?

Kique

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
What the heck is buck jam?

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T

Enrique Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hey guys,
Just one more question.
I got my buck jam set up last week and am hoping to sit in my blind tomorrow. However I got a variable that just came up. RAIN!
Question:
Is the rain gonna help or hurt my buck jam location?
I still have about a 3rd of it left so I can pour it out tomorrow, but the one that has been out for a week, is it gonna be afected by the rain?

I hope the wind and rain don't ruin my natural blind I made with branches and brush.

Any input greatly appreciated.

Kique

Enrique O. Ramirez

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I honestly dont think it will harm anything.

Enrique Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
You think Mule deer will like it?

Enrique O. Ramirez

IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Hmmmmm, I dont know.

Problem with the Muleys are they dont pattern like a Whitetail.

Enrique Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I might have to try it on the 4x4 hanging around my house. I saved a tad this morning.
I had 5 doe and some javelina come in to my blind today, but no bucks.
Guess I still have the good looks. The girls keep being interested in me. Kinda sad the boys didn't come in. I woulda had to shoot one for making a pass at me.

Enrique O. Ramirez

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Too bad it wasnt the rut.....you'd have no problem then.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1_deuce, 1234, 12344mag, 72 invisible), 2,702 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,958
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.