-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
If you're given a wrong address to ship something to, and it's delivered, can the people at the address keep it even though it's addressed to a person that doesn't live there anymore?

If the answer is no, they cannot legally keep the package, and you know you're dealing with somewhat dishonest people(they'll probably say they didn't see/don't have package when there's proof it was delivered) Is there anything the rightful owner of the package legally can do to get the package from them?

GB1

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Did someone in the home sign for it,SL?

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
no, it wasn't sent with signature required. I only have Fedex confirmation that it was delivered.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If Fedex's confirmation of delivery means it was left on the porch theoretically anyone could have taken it. If the driver can identify a person that accepted the package you might have better luck. I, not being a lawyer, would feel the blame lies on the shoulders of whomever got the address wrong.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
All I know without actually talking to the Fedex driver is that it was delivered to the address. It would be pretty hard to prove it wasn't stolen off the porch, if that's what they claim. Unless you know, you see the box in their house when they open the door, or see it out in the trash the next day.

I was paid with paypal for the item and I shipped to the 'confirmed' address provided by paypal. The confirmed address turns out to be the old residence of the person (paypal provided it erroneously?).
The person who sent the paypal and who I was sending to accepts responsibility, so it's not about blame at this point. Just about them getting their stuff.

I suppose I could have confirmed that the confirmed address was correct..

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like you did everything right. Can they file a claim with Fedex or paypal? Send another box addressed the same with a skunk or dye packets in it, then you'll know.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
ok, I have rock solid proof now!

The person went visiting just now to the address and got "some of the items back" that were in the box.
I don't have all the details of what when down,
but it means that the scum bags that live there now opened the package and kept the good stuff.

Where is Steelhead...I need to borrow that quote of his... "People are ph_____ers" !!!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As a side note, if someone sends you stuff in the mail that you didn't ask for, its yours to keep with out payment. If they bill you, you can legally tell them to stuff it.
I don't know if that applies to UPS or Fedex.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I don't know whether that would apply here or not, but what if, in a case where it does apply, if it's addressed to the address, but not addressed to them -like in this case, the NAME on the box was not who lives at the residence...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, if they got some of their possessions back, it's time to make a complaint with the sheriff. The mix up wasn't your fault, it's time for the buyer to step up to the plate and get their stuff back if they want it. You might send a notarized list of items in the box to the buyer as proof of what is still missing.

Last edited by 86thecat; 08/11/09.
IC B3

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
whew! For a minute there I was worried this was the weed you'd sent to Hawaii !!.......

grin

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
oh shush.. haha..
Doubt they'd have given any of it back if that was the case

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 86thecat
Well, if they got some of their possessions back, it's time to make a complaint with the sheriff. The mix up wasn't your fault, it's time for the buyer to step up to the plate and get their stuff back if they want it. You might send a notarized list of items in the box to the buyer as proof of what is still missing.
I agree, certainly hope they file a report. I'd have brought a cop with me already when I went to the address...

What nerve those scum bags have and how dumb, too, for, by giving items back, admitting they stole the package.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i ain't no lawya', but i'd say that was in fact "prima faciae" evidence of theft right there.

i'd call the law if i was them. moreso if it was sumpin' like jewelry, guns, collectibles, or other easily pawnable stuff.

-tom

Wag More. Bark Less.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The value of the contents was less than it would cost to pursue small claims, considering the time and hassle.
It makes me ill though,to think the punks will just get away this kind of thing -just as a matter of principal, regardless of the $$ involved.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

112 members (35sambar, 10gaugemag, 358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 30Gibbs, 14 invisible), 1,619 guests, and 885 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,656
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.