Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M376X6 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
My Son and I have decided we would like to hunt Utah Bulls this year in the General Hunt Season. New Mexico didn't come though (surprise) and this hunt won't interfer with Wyoming or the three other seasons we'll hunt elk and deer here in Colorado. We're looking at the areas from the stateline through Vernal west to Heber and North to the town of Wahsatch and the large area in between below the Wyoming State line. We're going to spend several days in mid September scouting what we hope will be your generous and helpful suggestions on good areas. Honeyholes and small sections guaranteeing monster 300+ Bulls (I threw that in for the your kidding and humor affect ;-) ) Honestly, we just love getting out and exploring and seeing new country before I get too old. Thanks folks.

Regards,
M376X6

GB1

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
are you on foot ? horses?

M376X6 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by UtahLefty
are you on foot ? horses?

Probably foot, I don't have easy access to horses this year. From what I can tell on the map, there are a limited number of 4 wheel drive roads available in Ashley.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I would stay on the south slope of the Uinta's. Uinta canyon/pole creek or hike up to fish lake.

M376X6 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Spike Bull area, not open to General Bull, maybe I could hunt Monroe Mountain and find the next Worlds Largest Bull Elk!

IC B2

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
nearly all of the LE (best) areas are spike-bull only OTC.....

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
oh, for spikes! if your coming from colorado, no need to travel any further than the book cliffs or la'sals around moab

I recommend the books over the la'sals tho. you will have a hard time looking past the big bulls for a spike!

M376X6 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
The areas we're interested in from Chalk Creek, Kamas, North/South Slope, Summit, West Dagget, Yellowstone, and Vernal are Any Bull Elk areas. I've taken my old Dodges into Moab, beautiful country. The areas between there and Monticello are full of deer. There is a small area south and east of Montcello also for Any Bull as well, the San Juan, Montezuma Canyon area. There's not a lot of info on elk populations in the areas North and west of Vernal on the internet though. I'm just a bit concerned that by the time we can get over that way to scout around, there won't be any tags left. Thanks very much for your info.

Regards,
M376X6

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I really dont know what your after..the area's i recommended first is perty much the area you asked about in your last post.

but after my first post you said you were going spike hunting, which is it?

edit, i think i know what threw you off, was it "fish lake"? i wasnt talking about the fish lake unit, but rather an actual lake in the uinta's named fish lake.

Last edited by rosco1; 08/14/09.
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
Chalk Creek is pretty much 100% private land. You'll need to be south of that (as others have noted).

IC B3

M376X6 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by rosco1
I really dont know what your after..the area's i recommended first is perty much the area you asked about in your last post.

but after my first post you said you were going spike hunting, which is it?

edit, i think i know what threw you off, was it "fish lake"? i wasnt talking about the fish lake unit, but rather an actual lake in the uinta's named fish lake.

The Only Fish Lake I could find was south in the spike hunting area. Never mentioned anything about wanting to hunt spikes. The areas I laid out are Any Bull Areas. North of highways 35 and 40 is where we're planning on hunting. The actual lake in the Uinta's named Fish Lake, whereabouts might it be? Spent quite a bit of time looking through the Uinta's and couldn't locate it, just the one down south in the Monroe area. Is it near a town that could be located on a map? The areas we're wanting to hunt are in the very north east corner bordered by Wyoming and Colorado. From Kamas east to Colorado. You're right, I found the only Fish Lake I could find and thought you meant that one down south in the spike area. Thanks for your patience and willingness to share your experience.

Regards,
M376X6

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I doubt you want to hunt the fish lake area in the Uinta's, its about a 15 mile hike.i mentioned it because i have had luck in that area. the area's i mentioned are the only area's i have hunted. i used to hunt the Whiterocks area, up to pole creek, Uinta canyon, and Chepeta Resevoir with decent luck.

i have never hunted over by the gorge area that you want info on, i can tell you no matter where you go, if it is on the road system you will have alot of company, and success is very low.

I know you dont want to spike hunt, but if seeing big bulls in new country(a good LE unit) is what you are after, with a very good chance of tagging a spike, that is what i would do.

M376X6 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Brought down a really nice 5x6, the G1 and G2's are over 12 inches long. Got him on the 5th. Camped at 10,160 feet, never been so cold. The storm moved in opening day, we had hiked in 3 1/2 miles to a remote lake and while eating lunch the temp dropped 20 degrees and started to drop little rods of ice, not sleet, or snow, but ice. We got out of there. We spent the next day and a half scouting and watching the elk movements coming down out of the high country in the fresh snow. Found an area where they were running and started looking through the timber. This bull bugled and we carefully tracked him and his cows for 1/2 mile before I got a good alley on him as he crossed in front of us. He or his cows never knew we were there. Turned out another four wheel drive road we had explored earlier came within 450 feet of where we dropped him. Came home Thursday evening and after skinning him out had him to the butchers Friday afternoon.

Regards,
M376X6

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats! Getting a branch antlered bull on a general UT hunt is a pretty good accomplishment. Heck, I live here and haven't done it...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

711 members (160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 16Racing, 71 invisible), 3,098 guests, and 1,366 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,582
Posts18,454,167
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.