Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Who makes a good rest for bench shooting?

This is for working up hunting loads and reducing recoil.

Not a competition rig. Price is a factor.

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

The caldwell rests are pretty good but don't help with recoil

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I like to be old school.........SAND BAGS!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tikka3006
Who makes a good rest for bench shooting?

This is for working up hunting loads and reducing recoil.

Not a competition rig. Price is a factor.

If recoil reduction is key, hard to top a Caldwell Lead sled. I use one with the big kickers and it is a wonderful tool for that. Outside of that I just usually use big sandbags. One behind the rifle or a gel pad on your shoulder will reduce felt recoil a lot.

What caliber are you shooting? What kind of rifle? Might have more ideas, depending on answers here.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
I have a Caldwell The Rock front rest that works well with a bunny ear bag in the rear. Customized it to get it to do what I wanted. I filled the legs with lead to add weight and raised the bunny ear bag with a 1" piece of rubber glued to the bottom. With hunting rifles make sure to get the bunny ear bag as the shorter ears will work better for guns with cheek pieces. I also changed to a protektor bag up front.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I use a Steady Point rest similar to the non-lead sled from Caldwell, and all my rifles shoot very well from it - little or no recoil reduction, if that is desired. I've also been working with the Bulls-Bag systems. The original Bulls-Bag, for me, at least, is too low for bench use, I use an old boat chair pedestal base under it. The newer X-7 system is a lot higher, and works better, but I still would raise it some. When properly adjusted, it holds the rifle steady and does absorb some recoil. Seems to work best for me with the receiver held by the hinging action of the top bags, rather than pushing the bag to the end of the fore end. I don't normally use a rear bad, but the original bag can serve for that when used with the X-7 - or the many bags in that system can be configured how you like. It is also handy to throw on a truck hood, or overlap the window of a stand for better padding for the shots.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd look at a decent pedestal front rest (I have an old Hart) and a bench wizard rear bag from NULA. I currently use a thick PAST pad when shooting guns that kick, but I'd like to try that bench wizard.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Higbean
I have a Caldwell The Rock front rest that works well with a bunny ear bag in the rear. Customized it to get it to do what I wanted. I filled the legs with lead to add weight and raised the bunny ear bag with a 1" piece of rubber glued to the bottom. With hunting rifles make sure to get the bunny ear bag as the shorter ears will work better for guns with cheek pieces. I also changed to a protektor bag up front.

I have a very similar set up, but have not added the extra weight to my Rock front rest although it is something I've considered....For the money I think its decent value and does everything I want in the way of zeroing and load development.

Higbean,

If you don't mind me asking, but how did you add the lead? I was considered pouring moulten lead into the hollows of the legs but was worried what damage the heat might do??

Regards

Peter

Last edited by Pete E; 08/17/09.
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by JPro
I'd look at a decent pedestal front rest (I have an old Hart) and a bench wizard rear bag from NULA. I currently use a thick PAST pad when shooting guns that kick, but I'd like to try that bench wizard.

JP,

I have an old Hart front rest(Made of Cast steel=Heavy) too, and a Bald Eagle as well. The Bald Eagle is cast aluninum, and a lot lighter weight to lug around. I use various rear bags, Protector, Bald Eagle and a Russ Haydon.
Here's a couple of shots of the Bald Eagle and one of their rear bags. Using good bench equipment will improve groups, with no question about it..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anybody use one of those Rock Jr front rests? I was thinking about getting one to go with my portable bench. I've been using the Caldwell bag combo with the tall front bag but it can often be difficult to get the front elevation just right. Those bags may be good just for keeping in the truck.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
DMB, your pics remind me that I need to invest in some new rear bags, as mine are looking kinda tired. Nice rigs, BTW.

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by JPro
DMB, your pics remind me that I need to invest in some new rear bags, as mine are looking kinda tired. Nice rigs, BTW.

JP,

Thanx!

I bought a windage adjustable top for the Hart rest that equals the one on top of the Bald Eagle. I got it from Ron Hoehn. That's another big + for using good bench equipment, as the adjustable top allows for ease to getting on target with no "forcing" the rifle to accomplish that objective.
Incidentally, Sinclair, and others sell good rear bags.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Filling the legs with lead won't hurt anything. I was worried about it falling out so I ran some screws into each leg to hold the lead once it hardened. The front rest with my Fudd top weights in at 14 lbs now.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If price is a factor, make your own. Mine was cheap, works well and has a keeno-beeno elevation adjustment. Windage is easily handled by just moving it sideways across the bench......Don't do much for reducing recoil, tho..... Car jack from an '89 Dodge Omni.<grin>

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is a WAAAAYYYYY Cool idea! Kudo's!

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I love that thing.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 2,095 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,073
Posts18,463,784
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.