Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Im not sure but I believe they are but I also believe there will be a wider spacing between the left and right heavy posts leaving it more open in the middle of the reticle.

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The center wires on the post & duplex are slightly thinner than the heavy duplex/#4 and the post & duplex spacing is tighter than the heavy duplex and definately tighter than the #4. The post & duplex posts are thinner than the heavy duplex or #4 but thicker than the standard duplex.

Last edited by Dave_in_WV; 08/14/09.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Does leupold offer the Post and duplex reticle as a standard reticle option in any of the new VX3 models or is it a speacial reticle that has to be installed for a fee? I like the looks of this reticle. It has just the right amount of heavy crosshairs with a small aiming area. I dont like super thin center lines in the middle or a wide spacing in the middle and this reticle is interesting to me.

Last edited by nuguy; 08/14/09.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The post & duplex isn't offered as a standard option BUT if you want one in a new scope order it from the custom shop and save a few $$$. It's less expensive to order direct. The custom shop will only sell scopes with finishes, turrets, or reticles that are not available over the counter direct. I ordered my VX-II 3x9 with the post & duplex from the custom shop.

Last edited by Dave_in_WV; 08/14/09.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
The center wires on the post & duplex are slightly thinner than the heavy duplex/#4 and the post & duplex spacing is tighter than the heavy duplex and definately tighter than the #4. The post & duplex posts are thinner than the heavy duplex or #4 but thicker than the standard duplex.

Thanks Dave,

I knew the posts on the post & duplex were thinner and closer together, but after seeing 65BR's pic of the #4 on that Leupold the center wires looked thinner than the post & duplex. I've never been able to see the #4 in a Leupold except pics.

Bill

Bill

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Re: Leupold, when I was a the 2007 Shot Show, I looked at a #4, and I THINK it was in a 6x42, but not positive, and THAT demo/sample had a very wide spacing compared to the one I owned above. I DO think there were possibly 2 variations of #4, but not positive - by Leupold. Certainly if one was in a variable scope it would likely differ somewhat depending on power.

SO, my point is I'd check with Leupold on specs prior to committing to a purchase to be sure what I was getting. I liked the one I owned alot, but not the '07 show sample. I was far too wide for my taste.

The pic above does not show the outstanding resolution of the scope, nor the sharpness of the reticle. It is like the Zeiss, very contrasting thin to thick was SQUARED off in the transitioned, not tapered like a duplex reticle. That looks better to my eye but the post duplex is a very nice option, and a #1 Leupold is also good. Some like the heavy duplex. The standard works fine, but the wide duplex is a disappointment and would be better served if Leupold did a #4 instead or a P/D IMHO.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
FYI.. The new Leica riflescopes have the German 4 reticle available also... They show them on the website... Haven't seen on in person yet. Ovis_Chaser

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
At $ 1,500 and up, not my cup of tea....I can get a Burris for a small fraction with 3P#4. I guess there are those who can run Lambo's and Maserati's, others have to settle for less....

Did see them at the Shot Show and they are nice, but I cannot see how they are justified. If you can't kill it with a Leupold, Bushnell, Burris, Nikon, etc. I doubt a Leica will change the outcome.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Call Leupold and ask them about the different subtentions of the different reticles. I did and then got the post & duplex for my needs.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Yeah I looked on their website for the substentions for the different reticles, but found they do not list them. Kind of silly, it would make it alot easier to choose a reticle, especially with all they offer.

Bill

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Phone or email, you will get answers quickly.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The of the things I like about #4 is that unlike most Duplex, it doesn't taper from thick to thin, and the boldness of the heavy part of the reticule.

Also, although not a function of the type of reticule, because mine have been in FFP scopes such as S&B, Swaro and Zeiss, the reticule tends to remain dark and solid in all light conditions.

I have noticed on other scopes, all 2ndFP, that the reticule can go almost silver/translucent...I'm not sure if thats down to how the reticule is made by the individual scope makers, or whether its common to 2ndFP scopes?

Regards,

Peter

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I have noticed the crosshairs of the Bushnell Elites, Nikon Monarchs and even Weaver Grand Slam turn a silverish/translucent color when out in daylight with the light at different angles to the scope. I noticed that the one Sightron 4x32 and even the Pentax Pioneer 3-9x40 didnt do it at all. I think it may have more to do with how far the reticle assembly is from the ocular or maybe they coat their reticle wires with a non reflective coating. I know the Bushnell Firefly stays very black in all lighting conditions due to the Luminecent coating on the reticle wire which does not reflect light it absorbs it.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I do have a swaro AV3-9 with #4. I may have time this evening to take a pic of it against my sheetrock wall.

I sold a Conquest with #4 reticle. The Conquest reticle was very thick (like the Leupold Heavy Duplex). At least equal to the pic above of Zeiss on high power.

V
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by mwarren
I do have a swaro AV3-9 with #4. I may have time this evening to take a pic of it against my sheetrock wall.

I sold a Conquest with #4 reticle. The Conquest reticle was very thick (like the Leupold Heavy Duplex). At least equal to the pic above of Zeiss on high power.

Please do I would really like to see it!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
These aren't great pics, but I think they show the reticle okay. The reticle is pretty thick and it is a clear scope.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1234, 10ring1, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 64 invisible), 2,179 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,102
Posts18,464,178
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.