Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Can owners of the Tikka T3 Lite give the "Pros and Cons" of the rifle?

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
BP-B6

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Pros... does not weight much, great price for what you get and most important... VERY accurate.

Cons... For what I bought the gun for (a gun to hunt in bad weather with) to me there are none... I cna live with the plastic....

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've got the exact rifle you inquire about in .308. Cons are pretty much aesthetic. To some it's just too "plasticy" in both look and feel. I also replaced the factory recoil pad with a limbsaver since the factory one isn't all that. The factory rings aren't terribly appealing but many people use them without complaint. I put Dednutz on mine.

Otherwise, it's easily one of the best deals going.

If there's one thing I've become certain of it's that there's too much certainty in the world.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
pros: accurate, light, great price, smooth action, and well made

cons: cheap rings and stock has a hollow sound to it.

neither con bothers me

FJB
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I have two and have had another previously. The pro's are pretty much undisputed: accurate with an accuracy guarantee, light weight, a bolt feed so smooth you'll check to see if a round was really chambered, supplied scope mounts, great trigger out of the box and easily adjusted if you wish it lighter, comparatively low cost for those attributes.

Cons are subject to personal opinion but the most frequently heard are the amount of synthetic material (plastic) in construction, clip fed, can't load mag without removal from the gun (you may hear that you can't single load using the ejection port: that is not true), made outside the USA, rusting of rough finished stainless, high cost of replacement mags.

I'd add I like the balance and way it comes to shoulder. I also like the versatility of scope mounting with the receiver grooves as well as D&T'd.

They're nice rifles. You should try one and find out for yourself.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I really like my plastic T3.223.
Pros: Accuracy, smooth bolt and feeding, light weight, good trigger, good price

Cons: Does not like to be top fed

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
ive got two. the older one "feels" a lot more sturdy and the plastic is much better constructed. but the newer one feeds from the top much more easily. they both shoot awesome. and i would say the rings one the older one are way nicer than the new one (need to replace with something else). if they combined the two different designs you would have a sako and they would cost a lot more.

the early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pros:

Accurate, Sako Barrel, Wonderful trigger that adjusts with an allen wrench without the necessity of even removing the stock to a very crisp 2lbs, slick action, feeds perfect, light weight, nice balance with good beef in the barrel, bargain...plus...the barrels are of such quality that they shoot everything well - least finicky rifle I've messed with - so they will shoot just about anything you want them to.

Cons:

Plastic, Tupperware, no top load, not crazy about detachable mags, hard factory recoil pads that need replacing on rifles with much recoil...one size fits all action - so you might as well run a long action - you're going to carry it anyway...(but I have a 223 just because it's so handy - shoots everything heavy and light sub moa.)

All in all - great rifles for the money, IMHO. A 30-06 would probably cover lots of bases since it will likely shoot 130's to 200's very accurately, but I think a 25-06 or 270 is about the perfect fit for a SS T3.

DJ

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Only own one, but it is accurate,smoothaction, clean adjustable trigger that at three pounds feels light. Light to carry but that lightness does not yet feel comfortable to shoot offhand. That is not felt when shooting game though.

The mags are expensive, but fie shot available for 30-06 size cases, and I have only shot one round at game at a time because the rounds go exactly where you want them to.

Buy one, you will get over the plastic bits.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I just picked one up in a 6.5X55. I have yet to shoot it, but it feels like a decent rifle for the money.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have two T-3's. One is a 223 in heavy barrel and shoots very well. 2nd is 300WSM and it is blue.
PRO's: Triggers are exellent, light and easy to carry, from a bench you can feed top, very accurate, recoil pads are ok because I use a PAST pad at the bench and heavy coat when hunting so no problem.
Con's: Plastic clip is crap and expensive for 2nd and that is all I have.
Jon

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I bought one last year for hunting in crappy weather, although I've been carrying it on some groundhog hunts this summer. It's very accurate, light, fits me nicely.

I don't like the detachable magazine but that is probably because I'm not used to it, the rest of my big game rifles are floorplate or blinds. I also don't like the way the action wraps over the top of the bolt as I can't stick my thumb between the bolt and scope when I'm carrying it one handed.

Dale

This space for rent

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pro's...

They're hands down the best factory rifle on the shelf today in the sub 1K price point. I'd still onw one, but my brother needed a solid sporter and I ran out of room in the gunsafe. Next time I got spending money I intend to buy another one...

Cons? They're about as graceful as a ballerina with Tourettes Syndrome. They're a one size fits all action (which isn't a problem if you like LA calibers) The mag capacity is only 3 rounds, which really isn't an issue if you know how to shoot critters (I can't remember the last time I needed more than two)

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Same Pro's most others mentioned. The only difference from me is that I have no problem feeding mine (300WM) from the top.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
The T3 loads and chambers rounds from the top just fine one at a time. You can't, or at least I can't, charge the mag from the top. It's so easy to pop out and load I can't see how this is a serious detraction, though.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Agreed RickyD

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I had one in .270 wsm when they first cam out, but could'nt get over the stock. I even filled the stock with pillow stuffing to make it sound less hollow, but got rid of it after a few months. If they would put a nice light stock on them, I would buy another tomorrow!!! Shot very good with factory ammo!!

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by rockchucker
pros: accurate, light, great price, smooth action, and well made

cons: cheap rings and stock has a hollow sound to it.

neither con bothers me

I do not often tap the stock while hunting on my T3 30 06.
But seriously great trigger, and barrel.
My 06 needed a recoil pad. Installed when I bought the gun, a must. Sub 1" groups with 2 types of factory ammo.
Sub 3/4 with my 1st handload.

The clip I have no issues.
I do not carry a spare set of keys, a spare bolt or clip for my gun. Should I??? A spare clip costs a round of golf. Or 1 hour OT after taxes.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I like the light weight without having a real skinny barrel. Skinny barrel rifles are difficult for me to shoot well offhand, but not my Tikka. It is accurate, and so far I have no problem with any of the plastic parts. Even the detachable magazine is OK as it fits snug and does not rattle. And as has been mentioned, when it feeds a cartridge you can not even feel it happening. Sweet.

I don't like the rings, I have never had much luck with aluminum rings, I use Conetrols on the Tikka. And I guess I am the only one that ever bought a Tikka that has a lousy trigger. Blah, blah, blah from everybody about the great trigger...mine sucks. It is adjustable for pull weight only, and has lots of creep and overtravel. Before I could find a replacement / aftermarket trigger, I shot the rifle enough that I have gotten used to it so I will shoot it as is.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Spot on.......exactly my thoughts.

Most "cons" that I read about anyway have more to do with "looks" and material rather than reliability and accuracy. A bit of the same hit that Glock gets....and we know how unreliable and inaccurate they are....wink.

A "fine" firearm can be defined in many ways as it means many different things to many people. All my T3's are SS/SYN and/or SS/Laminated and I consider them ALL to be "fine" rifles indeed. But "fine" to me means both easy to wield, comes to my shoulder well, accurate and totally reliable.

Yep....these rifles fit everything I desire in a huntin' rifle. They're just "fine" by me, as are several others.

Good luck on this venture...........

Last edited by magnumb; 08/21/09.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
124 members (257 mag, 6mmCreedmoor, 160user, 35, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 13 invisible), 1,797 guests, and 810 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.