Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I'm looking for something like a 14 cup (doesn't have to be 14 cup) percolator and am looking for suggestions. I see a GSI stainless steel (I want stainless steel) 14 cup one that looks exactly like Cabelas signature camp percolator. In any event the GSI is made in China, I'm just guessing, but I'd figure the Cabelas one is the exact same pot just with Cabelas on the side.

Anyone know of a stainless steel camp percolator at about 10 - 15 cup capacity? It needs to have a wire for hanging over a fire. I really want a "Made in USA" one if they're out there, but I couldn't find one. Any opinions or info? Thanks!

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

TripleA RV in Medford, OR SUCKS
GB2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have you ever used a big old granite coffee pot? Just throw in a couple hands full of coffee, and fill 3/4 with water. Bring to a hard boil. Pour some cold water down the spout to clean grounds from it and in the center of the pot to settle grounds. Pour everyone a cup and refill the pot with water and do it again. Good luck.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
croldfort hit the "nail on the head". I use an enamel pot. Best "camp coffee" you could ever drink!
Virgil B.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
do you want good coffee or good camp coffee? laugh

camp coffee is usually lousy to okay,it's the location that makes camp coffee good.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use and old metal coffee can, a pair of gloves to do the same thing, not fancy. I leave the cans in a tree when I'm done and don't have to carry it back.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I should have specified, I want good coffee smile Really though, that'd work I guess, what I've always refered to ask "cowboy coffee", but I camp with some guys that would choke on the thought of grounds getting into their cups.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get a french press. Doesn't meet the 14 cup criteria, but does deliver good coffee.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks. I've got a small french press you just reminded me about so I'm taking it this weekend. I'm going to buy the 14 cup percolator at some point so three or four of us can get our coffee fix. We'll see how it works I guess.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
I believe "Open Country" products are made in Wisconsin. I'm fairly confident the metals in their products come from there. Anyways, here's a link and you can at least check out there camp coffee pots (with the wire handle).

http://www.opencountrycampware.com/

Last edited by isaac; 08/22/09.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I resent the indication that my "camp/cowboy coffee" is not "good" coffee. I would compare it with any ones coffee. And no grounds in our cups, either. The secret is to wash out the spout with cold water, grounds float into there and onto the sides when boiling. Then pour the cold water in the center of the pot to settle the grounds. This works. Cowboys didn't like grounds in their cups and I don't either. My cousin questioned this one tine and held a paper towel over his cup while I poured through it. No grounds in the towel. Another secret is lots of coffee in the pot. Hang/sit over the hottest part of the fire. Bring to a rolling boil as soon as possible and serve. Refill the pot with water, no more coffee, and sit/hang to a slightly cooler fire. Serve the second cups, add more water, no more coffee, sit on the warm side for rest of the day. Try it on your stove at home. Good luck.

IC B3

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have some of their game processing and cooking stuff. All good and made in the good ole USA. However, mostly aluminum, which does not bother me because it's a much better heat conductor and easier to clean.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
croldfort, you're a better coffee maker than me. I can't help but get grounds in almost any coffee I make.

R
R
Hey,

I recently was in Sportsmans Warehouse and they had many,many percolators to choose from. You might want to see if there is one near you or call and see if they carry what you are looking for.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I think the percolator was probably invented by the tea industry to sabotage the popularity of coffee by making it taste so bad no one would want to drink it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Please, if you want to learn something, try my method on your stove top at home with a coffee pot or with any pan with a lid, preferably one with a pour slip on the side and pour yourself a cup after you pour in the cold water to settle the grounds.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
IMO, the only thing worse than percolator coffee is no coffee.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Craigster
IMO, the only thing worse than percolator coffee is no coffee.

Well, there is instant.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
two words: French press

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Any time you put grounds in boiling water, you generally impart a nasty bitter taste to the coffee, especially if it takes awhile for the water to reach a boil. If you're making Greek or Turkish coffee, the bitterness is offset by the large amount of sugar.

Some folks are picky about coffee, some aren't. But I'd put the perkolator and cowboy coffee low down on the list of ways to make coffee.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I won't use a percolator for coffee. Water temperatures above about 190 tend to have a negative effect on coffee flavor.

I keep temps around 190, and use a French Press.

Sam......

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
705 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 77 invisible), 2,942 guests, and 1,375 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,681
Posts18,399,678
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.