-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am looking to get a good rifle rest. I don't own any bench rest rifles but I want a good solid, affordable, and vertically adjustable front rest that I can use for load development, etc. for my various hunting rifles. Any recommendations?

Thanks gang.

Colin

"I am at heart a meat hunter."
John Barsness, The Life of the Hunt
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
An old jeans leg or three filled with sand and then sewn and taped shut. I have shot a lot of good groups with this kind of equipment.

For a metal rest, Caldwell, Hoppes and others are good for the money.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Colin,
What safariman suggested is honestly a heck of a route to go. I use canvas shotbags from my shotgun reloading. I own a Caldwell Rock front rest along with the appopriate rear bag, and I end up shooting from my shot bags more than anything else. One thing you should keep in mind in comparing using BR rest with hunting rifles is that hunting rifles have very different buttstocks on them. The BR stocks are made to "ride the bags" well and consistently, especially for free recoil style shooting. The most solid rest for my hunting rifles is the canvas shotbags, hands downs. I'll bet if you put out a request for some shotbags in the classifieds or over at www.trapshooters.com someone will be able to hook you up. I happen to know a lady that is handy with a sewing machine (my mother) and I had her sew four of these bags together in an "X" pattern like Caldwell's Bull Bags. Works GREAT! I know it doesn't fit your "vertically adjustable" qualification in the literal sense, but once you figure out the right bag configuration you won't ever have to worry about it. A 3/4 filled bag makes a wonderful rear bag as well.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For those of you with Caldwell Rocks, how do you keep the top from wiggling? I've looked at three at three different stores and all the tops rock side-to-side and front-to-back. I see no way to tighten the top to the post. Any tips/tricks?

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by safariman
An old jeans leg or three filled with sand and then sewn and taped shut. I have shot a lot of good groups with this kind of equipment.

Safariman: Perfect! Exactly what I was gonna post.Ya beat me to it!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like this blue rest I bought from Midway. Paired up with the right Protector bags it's great for load development with hunting rifles. (Or killing prairie dogs in the next zip code)

[Linked Image]

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
For those of you with Caldwell Rocks, how do you keep the top from wiggling? I've looked at three at three different stores and all the tops rock side-to-side and front-to-back. I see no way to tighten the top to the post. Any tips/tricks?

If you're talking about what I think you are, there is a screw up under the bag that needs to be tightened. Mine got loose so I loctited it on. No problems now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by safariman

Safariman: Perfect! Exactly what I was gonna post.Ya beat me to it!

It's the only thing I know. I've even filled them with snow at times (like when the sand is under the snow and frozen rock hard.) Good bags front and rear are more important than having them mounted on any sort of special device. I have even carried the empty bags with me in warmer weather. I buy some double knit leftovers from the scrap tables in the the fabric sections of department stores. It costs next to nothing and it won't tear very easily.) I make the bags very long so I can simply fill one end and wrap the extra around it to hold everything intact. Double knit stretches to allow excellent adjustment. One of the things I like about simple sand-filled bags is that my rifles seem to shoot very much to the same POA offhand and on the bags.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Klik: They work good.I always have had them around.I have gone to a commercial leather design for the rear so I can squeeze the toe of the stock for group shooting at 100 yards.

Good point about the POI change with some rifles.If a rifle is sensitive about shifting like that, I will use a terry cloth towel on the front bag,and also put the front bag under the receiver instead of the forend;this can help.

Zero is not complete till you've tried the rifle at distance and field positions to be certain it does not change POI from that established off the bags.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Eberlestock is all I've known for many years.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for all the suggestions!

"I am at heart a meat hunter."
John Barsness, The Life of the Hunt
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
clark- you are exactly right. I went and looked again today and the screw that attaches the top to the post was loose. I asked the clerk to tighten it up and no more wobble. I hadn't looked under the bag before, only asked the store folks how it was supposed to tighten up. And of course they had no idea. I may have to keep my eye open for a good deal on one now.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Eberlestock is all I've known for many years.

Scotty, you need to give Mystery Ranch a whirl... I bought a Crew Cab on a NICE frame and GAVE away the two Eberlestock packs I had. You're fooling yourself if you think they're a good pack. The J104 I had, had a very high up and too far away balance to be comfortable. Just for gits and shiggles I shot a few groups off of the CC "High Western Montana Prone" (sitting off a pack) and I'd have no problems whacking anything inside 400 yards. I did not however, take pics... They're a heavy pack, but they make 15 Lbs go away once you're over 50 Lbs.

Buy one, you'll thank me later laugh

[Linked Image]

Oh, one of the places I took all my schitt in my CrewCab... Does that count??

[Linked Image]

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Ok Danny, but you can stop with the 'Scotty' anytime.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Scott, Do you carry a reoading bench in your pack? Whats with the bag of brass in the third pic?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
A place to put empties.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
That's all fired brass.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use a Calwell Rock and a monkey bag.

Dan,

sent you a pm.

Jm.

Last edited by JohnMoses; 08/31/09.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 2,764 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,572
Posts18,453,885
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.