Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
OP Offline
B
Hi,
I have always been a big fan of the 8mm magnum rifle since my wife bought me one made by Remington back in 1978. Mine is a BDL and I would not part with it for anything. My son-in -law can't hardly wait til they put me in a box, so he can inherit mine. Now to my question.

About a month ago a friend of mine came to me and said he found a 8 mag. and wanted to know if I wanted it. I told him to bring it down and I'd look at it.

What he had was a Paul Jaeger rifle built, as near as I can tell, back around 1965 or so. It is on a 98 frame and the barrel is marked Paul Jaeger 8mm Ackley magnum. The bullet is mader from a 338 magnum case. It has a Jaeger scope mount and a scope included, along with sling swivels,about six boxes of brass, dies, bullet heads, charts of differant loads they loaded, and some bullet heads. It was built for hunting so it's not super fancy but it sure comes up nice and has a great feel to it. I paid six hundred for it. How does that sound to you guys that are in the know about gun prices? Has anybody out there ever heard anything about this caliber? I haven't tried to shoot it yet.

Big Ralph

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wouldn't even blink for $600. Lets see some photos of it.

B
OP Offline
B
Okay, as soon as I get this camera to work again. Should only be a couple of days.

BR

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
for a solid hunting rifle yah really like $600 aint much coin.....cant wait to see pics.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like a great catch to me! Congratulations.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B2

B
OP Offline
B
I never thought of it that way. But ya know, the last new gun I bought was back in 1978. I just haven't seen anything new that I could not live without. I kind of like the older guns. They just feel like an old friend when you pick them up. New guns anymore leave me cold.

BR

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The action is worth that.
The rifle is worth at least 3 times that.
There is a highly engraved Paul Jaeger for sale right now for $7,995.00.

Paul Jaeger was the uncle of Dietrich Apel, who owns New England Custom Guns.
www.newenglandcustomgun.com/german.html

Jaeger was as good a Mauser gunsmith as there was in the US. His standard rifles sold for about 40% more than a Winchester Model 70 in 1963, to give you an idea.

He built a side mount QD for the 7/8 inch scopes and later the 1-inch scopes. He also built his own trigger for the Mauser 98.

I used to drool over the catalogs as a youngster, and bought the first one I got my hands on, years ago, with scope, from its original owner, for whom it was custom built in 1954. I also bought 2 Marholdt Peterlongo custom Mausers from him, all at near the same price.

I have lots of photos of Jaeger's rifles that I have run across. I'll take a picture of mine and post it, if you like.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bigralph
I never thought of it that way. But ya know, the last new gun I bought was back in 1978. I just haven't seen anything new that I could not live without. I kind of like the older guns. They just feel like an old friend when you pick them up. New guns anymore leave me cold.

BR

i know what yah mean, i want an old cape gun or drilling or a Lee Speed in a bad way......also thinking about picking up one of the Husqvarnas in 9.3x57 that are floating around......ive got a Kimber 84M Montana in 260 Remington, stainless witht he kevlar stock......love carrying the rifle cause ready to hunt it weights less than any of my other rifles before i put on the scope but old hunting rifles are what really interest me....the Kimber is just there ready to go for whenever i need it and i dont feel bad about beating the heck out of it.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
You can find a nice, clean, basic Jaeger for $1,000 sometimes.

But many of his were custom rifles for someone who decided it was time to treat themselves.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=138377896

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great grab there. A classy rifle I am sure and I, too, will be looking forward to seeing some pictures.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BTW, on the topic of the 8mm RemMAg, One of my favorite rifles is a wildcat that is that case necked up to 338. A real killer, that one. Handloaders can make the 8mm Remmag scream like the lawyers at Remmy never allowed it to do.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
B
OP Offline
B
Hi Rattler,

Saw you mentioned a old cape gun or drilling. I thought a cape gun was a drilling. Or is it a double rifle? Gettin so old, I forget. Please explain.

BR

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
drilling is 2 shotgun barrels over a rifle.....cape gun is one shotgun and one rifle barrel usually side by side but i think over under still technically counts......course depending on who is doing the selling they often get lumped together.....

B
OP Offline
B
Okay. I stand corrected. I have a nice drilling, double 16's over I think a 9.3 by 72. The butt plate, pistol grip cap, and the trigger guard are made of what I belive or am told, cap buffalo horn. Love to hunt rabbits with it. Super nice gun.

BR

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
cool.....maybe toss up some pics of that gun when yah take some of the Jaeger, would love to see it......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I saw a Jaeger last year that had a cracked stock right at the pistol grip (clean in half) and it was a super plain gun that they wanted more than what he's asking for this one....

Otto is my co-pilot.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
637 members (257Bob, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 70 invisible), 2,863 guests, and 1,408 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,656
Posts18,399,278
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.