Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Please share your opinions on best gun safe.

I've got 7 scoped long guns, 3 shotguns, and 3 handguns to store. 2-3 more of each could find their way to the safe someday but are currently stored at the family hunting land.

I'm not one to buy lots of guns (hence don't think I'll ever double the number of guns to be stored), but I do put a decent amount of money into the one's I buy and the deadbolted closet that I currently use for storage doesn't provide fire protection or much thief protection.

Based on my own research, the Browning Medallion Series (M28F) seems would be perfect but I'd like to solicit opinions. I particularly like the DPX door system for storing handguns and un-scoped long guns. See link below.

http://www.browning.com/products/ca...ue=001F&cat_id=160&type_id=42744

Alternatively the browning pro steel deluxe is available locally. Not sure I wouldn't rather have the Medallion. Link:

http://www.browning.com/products/ca...ue=006F&cat_id=169&type_id=46176

Safe will be bolted to floor/wall studs in an upstairs home office. There are some other valuables to go into the safe (nice binos, wife's jewelry, misc documents) but those won't take up much room - so it will primarily be a gun safe.

Anybody know of things NOT to like about the Brownings? Features or specs I have not considered? I know Cannon is a sponsor of the site. Don't know much about them or how they compare to, say, browning or Liberty safes.

Your opinions are appreciated.

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great choice on the Browning. I have a Cannon that I paid about a grand for about 10 years ago. I wish now that I would have bought a Browning. My neighbor has one and it blows away my Cannon. Not that Cannon makes a bad safe, but I think my is a cheap bottom of the line one. My next one though, is going to be larger & more secure than the one I have now. Oh yeah, and it will probably be a Browning. If you search youtube for gun safe breakin tests, you would be amazed at how fast some gun safes can be broken into.
Some things to think about, is get the largest one you can afford, both money wise & size/space restrictions. The electronic pin pad is a HUGE time saver. I had a spin dial on my Cannon & had a locksmith come out and intall the E lock. LOVE IT! I can be in my safe in about 5 seconds or less! On my next one, I am considering getting the biometric lock that Browning offers. One last thing, pay a safe mover to move it, I almost got run over by my safe taking it down to my basement!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I'm just guessing, but Browning probably doesn't manufacture their own safe, right? Anyone know who does?

Also, I'd heard really good things about Cannon, what don't you like about your safe Kingthing?

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

TripleA RV in Medford, OR SUCKS
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Fort Knox

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Well,right now I'm waiting on a local locksmith to come open my new Cannon safe. Cannon is sending the part that is supposed to fix mine to the locksmith. I have the electronic lock and love it (except I can't get in it)! We'll see how long it takes to be fixed. Been waiting since last thursday.
Neil

Dong Ha Vietnam '67
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Wow - that would rile me up. Is it a cannon problem or an electronic lock problem? I'd have nightmares about opening day coming and going while i was waiting to get in my safe...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by acesandeights
I'm just guessing, but Browning probably doesn't manufacture their own safe, right? Anyone know who does?

Also, I'd heard really good things about Cannon, what don't you like about your safe Kingthing?

Dont get me wrong, I do like my safe. There is nothing wrong with the Cannon brand, I just bought a cheaper version of what Cannon offers. Behind the door cover the lock mechanism securing the bolts in place looks pretty flimsy compared to the Brownings (not sure of other brands, as I havent studied them, I really like the looks of the Brownings and have put some extended research into that brand). I believe Pro Steel makes the Browning safe. Not sure of the original poster's budget but check out these safes. They look pretty durable as well.

http://graffundersafes.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBhOjWHbD6M

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
1. Graffunder
2. Amsec (higher end)
3. Fort Knox
4. Champion, Liberty, Browning

17. Stack On, Cannon, etc.

How much you wanna spend??????

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Where does Heritage Safe Co. fit in these rankings amongst those that know? Seems to be some variance of opinions. Not surprising. Of course, everyone of those manufacturers says theirs is the best LOL.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
15542. Heritage Safe co.

grin

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Well I'm glad that's been settled grin.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
From their specs, I'd say they offer about the same security as a Liberty/Champion/Browning. The 1/8" steel is the same as 10 gauge. They offer one line that has 3/16" steel in the body. That might put it close to some of the Fort Knox's, but it still won't get it up in the Graffunder ranks (and likely not even in the Amsec's).

The Graffunder has some major steel. The "good" Amsecs, have some pretty thick steel, and they also use a concrete-like "fill" for their fireproofing, which adds an extra bit of security (most safes just have 1-3 sheets of drywall for fire-proofing).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a Champion and don't worry at all,it weighs something like 900 pounds and is fireproof to 1500 degrees for 90 minutes.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
Of course, everyone of those manufacturers says theirs is the best LOL.

So does every safe owner...

I am the same in that regard as I spent quite a bit of time on safe study. My first safe was a Fort Knox. I put an order together for 11 safes and they made me a dealer. It was a decent safe, but I didn't get fire protection.

I wanted good fire rating so I kept looking at gun shows and Sport Shows and talked to dealers about all brands. Fort Knox didn't have anything built at the time, so I looked at a ready to go safe. The dealer I talked to had several brands and he pointed out all the +'s and -'s. Every company rates theirs differently, and he told me the Liberty Lincoln series had the best rating and there were no gaps in the corners or around the hinges that some other manufacturers overlook.

I bought it and haven't needed it yet. I hope I never do, but if I do it's already here. Around here it is more likely a fire would get your guns than a thief, so I went for extra fire protection as that even hinders the thieves more.

Doesn't it look good in the living room?...

[Linked Image]

This shows the door thickness and locking bolts...

[Linked Image]

This shows the door seal which is a great feature as it helps seal the cabinet in the event of a fire.

[Linked Image]

My suggestion is to go large, both in size and features, you won't be sorry.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The smart money would go with a safe (round door) buried in the ground. No fire burns the dirt up. Round doors can't be blown open. No body knows it's their unless you tell them. Nobody stands with a gun at your head to make you open it.

You don't want the same thing every body else has, it just is not smart. Many people think a gun safe is worthy of showing off to one and all, it's not. Better unseen and unspoken about.

Hide your safe.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Shrapnel, that safe looks much like my FK....door thickness, locking bolts fire protection and all.
Mines silver with black chrome...maybe I will post a pic later.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
check out granite safes. they have a website.

bought one thru sam's club some time back, about 1/2 the cost of fort knox units, and all the same features. made in fort worth texas too. sorry now that i didn't buy 2 of 'em.

-tom

Wag More. Bark Less.
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Gun safes, I have no idea, gun cabinets..

Why I make the best.

Actually I produce modular gun cabinets for LE/Military. They are completely modular so we can fit M9's next to AR's next to 870's even up to Javelins (no not the old AMC kind)

I had a 50" tall demo unit left over from a client review and used it to swap out my sticks while I was cleaning them.

They are not DOJ compliant, but I have had a number of individuals from the military purchase some. I also had a detective purchase our modular back panels to stick in his safe.

Gun safes do what they do real well, but they just don't organize for crp.

Attached Images
Resize-01.JPG (95.47 KB, 1759 downloads)
Resize-02.jpg (56.71 KB, 272 downloads)

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
653 members (257Bob, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 71 invisible), 2,864 guests, and 1,410 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,656
Posts18,399,278
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.