Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Next week, I will be visiting my Great Grandfather's grave. I have never visited before, and just found out recently where it was.
He was born in 1838, and died in 1921. He is buried in Fayetteville Georgia, the CSA Cemetery.

Jack did the entire stretch of the Civil War. He joined with his brother, and his first cousin. All three were lucky, no sickness, no wounds and none of them died.
He never rose above the rank of Private. Company D, 46th Infantry Regiment, Army of Tennessee.
He fought at Jackson, Chickamauga, Atlanta.........
Lee surrendered on April 9th, Jack hung up his rifle on April 26th.

Sam......

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Good job Mannlicher with a gret story to go along with it. I was lucky enough to find my GGGgrandfathers grave in Scotland this last summer. He fought Napolean's troops in the Netherlands many years ago. It's kind of neat finding this all out. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Very cool!

Lucas

Lucas

Well its a dog eat dog, eat cat too, French eat frog, and I'll eat you....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I had about a dozen blood relatives that I know of who served the Confederacy. My 3rd Great Uncle died of disease in camp. My Mother's Great Grandfather was a Millwright who helped construct the defenses of Mobile Bay.

Both sides of my family served the Confederacy. I know of nobody on either who fought for the Yankees.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have the letter that the Adjutant of one of my 3G Uncle's companies wrote for my Aunt when she applied for benefits. It states that he was a "good and faithful soldier" and was "with Lee at the surrender".

IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Sam,

Badass and principled.....and lucky. I'm betting he tolerated no fools.

Thanks for your family history.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's a good piece of family history anyone would be proud of.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Next week, I will be visiting my Great Grandfather's grave. I have never visited before, and just found out recently where it was.
He was born in 1838, and died in 1921. He is buried in Fayetteville Georgia, the CSA Cemetery.

Jack did the entire stretch of the Civil War. He joined with his brother, and his first cousin. All three were lucky, no sickness, no wounds and none of them died.
He never rose above the rank of Private. Company D, 46th Infantry Regiment, Army of Tennessee.
He fought at Jackson, Chickamauga, Atlanta.........
Lee surrendered on April 9th, Jack hung up his rifle on April 26th.

How did you obtain the specifics if you don't mind me prying. Letters, diary?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So was disease a big issue during the Civil war?

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Badass and principled.....and lucky. I'm betting he tolerated no fools.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Strenghthens the genetic traits argument a bit, doesn't it? grin

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Pete E

Huge. Typhoid,dysentery,pneumonia, malaria and of course infection probably killed more guys than rifle and cannon.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Very cool Sir. My family didn't get here till 1890's so I have no claims back that far.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

Disease killed more men that battlefield wounds. The odds were 1/60 of dying on the battlefield or 1/13 of dying from disease. These numbers come from Ken Burns "Civil War" series.

Doc

Last edited by Doctor_Encore; 09/02/09.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I have heard it said that World War II was the first war in which more combatants died from enemy fire than died from disease.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
By the way, I traced one of my Civil War ancestors, my Great-grandfather. He served in Co D, 44th REG, NC State Troops (CSA) during the war. He enlisted as a Private, eventually becoming a Second Lieutenant. He was shot by a sniper on Squirrel Level Rd, during the siege of Petersburg and died 10 days later. The family here in eastern NC sent after his body and buried him in the family cemetery out in the county near the town where I live.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My GGF was a school teacher in South Carolina, when the war started,he was a also known as a horse thief,by obtaining
stock for the Calvary by having his boys steal them at docks,they were meant for the Union.....Get'm Grandpa!!

A story is told of how he was always able to bring in Rum for the troops!
I've never found out what rank he was but with that forte,I would have made him a general!!

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Barkoff,
How did you obtain the specifics if you don't mind me prying. Letters, diary?

A nephew has been digging for years. There were a few old aunts in Alabama that still had memory of him.
The service information is available on line in some cases. The easy way to look up a Confederate relative is to look in the archives of the Union for Parole information. In Jack's case, since he did not lay down his arms and ask for parole, there were no records for him.
My Mother supplied the place of interment. She is 93 now. Mom had not met Jack, as he died about 18 years before she married Pop, but she remembered visiting the grave during WW II. She was in nursing school then, at Emory University in Atlanta.

Last edited by Mannlicher; 09/02/09.

Sam......

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L

Twice as many soldiers died of disease as died of wounds. Surprisingly, most of the diseases would be considered childhood diseases.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mine (Lycurgus Border)was an interesting fellow. Not talked about alot in the family. (None of that genetic trait crap Bob!)

http://books.google.com/books?id=Qr...mp;resnum=1#v=onepage&q=&f=false

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Mine (Lycurgus Border)was an interesting fellow. Not talked about alot in the family. (None of that genetic trait crap Bob!)

http://books.google.com/books?id=Qr...mp;resnum=1#v=onepage&q=&f=false

That's a cool read. I like the line about everyone getting acquitted, " 'cause that's how it was done in those days"

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

638 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 58 invisible), 2,576 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,694
Posts18,456,603
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.