Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Snotwad Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Looking thru the '05 Gun Digest, I found out that I don't have a tube fed lever action 22 rim fire,,, don't know how that happened, but I'm thinkin' serious of adding a Marlin 39. Am getting confused by the different letters after the number 39, can anyone steer me to a web site or thread that explains the different models???

Wake up, smell the politician, and re-elect nobody.

"Nee how,nega bin da" (Mandarin: "Hello,dumb a$$)

BP-B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I'm cetainly NOT a big Marlin 39 authority, but we have a couple of them around the house, one old model and one new model, so maybe I can comment on what I know...

For the past 40 or so years, the two main versions of the 39 that have been generally offered to the public have been the 39A and the 39M. The 39A is the Rifle with a curved lever and semi-pistol grip wrist on the stock and a rifle length 24" barrel. The 39M or "Mountie" version is similar, but has a 20" barrel and straight stock and lever.

The other 3 versions that I'm familiar with are the 39D, the 39TDS and the 1897.

The 1897 was a limited run rifle, made for a year or two where the Model 39 was renamed after its predecessor, the 1897 Marlin. This version had I believe a straight stock with checkering on both the wrist and forend and a half round/half octagonal barrel.

The 39TDS (Take Down Special or maybe "Safety"?) was a production run carbine with straight stock and lever, checkering on both the stock and forearm and 16-1/4" barrel and came with a short cordura case that would carry the Carbine broken-down into its two component groups.

I don't know exactly when the 39D was made, but I have one. It's an old model (pre-hammer block safety) 39 that essentially has the 39A stock with curved lever and the 39M 20" barrel.

The newer models have a hammer block safety in lieu of the half cock safety the old models had, and they also have a rebounding hammer.

This combination of changes makes the trigger letoff much heavier than the old models, and because of the rebounding hammer design, makes using lighter hammer springs less easy to use as it makes reliable ignition "spotty". The lighter Hammer Spring is one component used in obtaining a better trigger letoff IMHO.

Bill C.-sbio
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
This is my Marlin Model 39AS. The "AS" designation means it has a hammer block safety. billt

[Linked Image]

S
Snotwad Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Tnx big time,,, That really explains a lot. I had seen several different ones over the years but never have owned one, nor really gave it much thought 'till I realized that I didn't have something in this class. I've got a few bolt actions, and of course the usual bunch of Ruger 10-22's in some different configurations. Well all that is about to change! I'm on an active hunt for a Marlin 39, and would really like one with as long a barrel as practicle. An awful lot of lever actions have gone to putting on safetys, been told that it is to please the lawyers, but I don't like them. To me its something that just isn't needed and in fact works as a detriment to good gun handling. Anyway tnx again.

Wake up, smell the politician, and re-elect nobody.

"Nee how,nega bin da" (Mandarin: "Hello,dumb a$$)

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
A thought for you on the "long barrel" idea.

It was quite a few years ago now, but someone writing for the American Rifleman magazine did a test wherein they took a "long" barrelled (24") .22LR rifle and chronographed it for several shots, then cut the barrel back 1" at a time until they got to the legal minimum of 16".

They discovered that the .22LR ctg.s they were using (not sure if they tried different brands, etc.) reached MAXIMUM velocity in an 18" barrel!

Longer than 18" the added friction was actually slowing the bullet down.

Less than 18" and the bullet hadn't accelerated to its maximum velocity.

So, if you're looking for a longer sight radius for iron sights, well that's fine.

However if you're looking for maximum velocity, a "long barrel" might not be the way to go.

Bill C.-sbio
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bill, an additonal feature of the 39D is the barrel band instead of forend cap. My dad's had one since '75 I think, and I've spent hours looking through it's Lyman peep.

Another model that he's got that's very rare, is the Carbine. It's essentially a Mountie with a shorter barrel (can't remember the length, and a half-length magazine. I think it was a one or two year production in about '67.
222Rem

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
.....THANKS 222 for this post! I'd been wondering what I had with my Marlin 39. It has the straight stock, but unlike the TDS model it has a 19"5/8" barrel (measured from where the barrel mates to the reciever to the muzzle), anda lever with a rounded backend (the TDS I've seen have a square back lever). The barrel is marked "39 Carbine" no letter pre-fix or suffix on the barrel model stamping.
......You may well have given me the year of manufacture (or at least close)..I want to mount a compact scope on it and see what it'll do! I've had it for many years but it's been kept in the safe, never went hunting.It is nearly new condition wise, I guess I've got a rare keeper, heh?
Originally Posted by 222Rem
Bill, an additonal feature of the 39D is the barrel band instead of forend cap. My dad's had one since '75 I think, and I've spent hours looking through it's Lyman peep.

Another model that he's got that's very rare, is the Carbine. It's essentially a Mountie with a shorter barrel (can't remember the length, and a half-length magazine. I think it was a one or two year production in about '67.
222Rem

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mine is a 1956 gun marked 39A.

Straight stock, no checkering, lever is rounded on the end, forend cap, full magazine, 20" bbl.

Wears a Lyman peep and shoots like a demon! I was lucky to buy it years ago on a whim, been looking for another since.

"My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income."

T
T
Can anyone help me with finding out the details on this gun?

[Linked Image]

The serial number starts with an L and then has 5 digits after that.

K
K
Could anyone tell me what the word "Golden" refers to?
I bought a new Golden 39A back in the mid to late 70's.
Best 22 I could find back then that I knew would outlive my grandkids when I pass it down.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[The serial number starts with an L and then has 5 digits after that.]

An "L" prefixed Marlin serial number indicates a 1952 manufacturing date.
That would make it a Third Model, Second Variation.

Your rifle looks to be a "Mountie" config, but the first Mounties were introduced in 1953.

I suppose that a late 1952 receiver could have been later assembled as a Mountie in 1953 - but I'd want to see what the factory has to say about that.

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gold trigger?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yes, it denotes the gold trigger.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You also have a gold tone coloring in the lettering on the barrel plus the gold colored trigger.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Not sure but I've always assumed it was because of the gold (plated) trigger.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by vapodog

Not sure but I've always assumed it was because of the gold (plated) trigger.

The word "GOLDEN" was stamped on the barrel. The gold that was in the lettering easily wore off, some folks use to refer to it as gold pain. It did look to me like paint or some kind of powder.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
My first .22 was a 39A-Golden back in 1966... Had a 1961 Mountie that ended up with a good friend who still has the gun.

I've got three .41 Magnum 1894s and wanted a .22 to go along with them and recently bought a 39 TDS that had some rust spots on the barrel...but the price was right compared to most of what I have seen TDSs sell for.... I pick it up from my dealer Saturday.

I think the gold in the lettering was a gold fill...you used to be able to buy the kits from Brownells..

Great guns and very accurate.

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Ive got the TDS model and the Golden 39A very nice rifles..

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The 1897 was a limited run rifle, made for a year or two where the Model 39 was renamed after its predecessor, the 1897 Marlin. This version had I believe a straight stock with checkering on both the wrist and forend and a half round/half octagonal barrel.

The "1897" i have is a cowboy model, and has a full octagon barrel, otherwise the description is accurate.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
here's mine ..
Marlin 39 A 1954 with the straight stock and 20 inch bbl.
looks old but shoots well.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
718 members (12308300, 160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 90 invisible), 2,722 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,696
Posts18,399,917
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.