Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 19 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 18 19
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, and as I remember it was from a pond in Central Park.

I did a similar "match the hatch" a few years ago on a farm pond in West Virginia. The people that owned the place stocked the pond with largemouth bass, bluegills and channel catfish, and would feed them with dry dogfood, just throwing it out there. I caught some BIG channel cats by cutting the feathers off an ugly brown popper I had in my bass-fihsing flies. It was the same size and color as the pieces of dog food.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
BP-B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I�m a gunwriter because ONE of my articles has been printed. It was about my experiences with the Scout rifle concept, and it ran in the Steyr-Mannlicher Collector�s Association newsletter the summer I finished college.

My Dad was (and still is) crazy about guns. He was on the Oklahoma National Guard rifle team when I was a kid, and I still think of him every time I hear someone chamber a round in an M-14. I shot the National Match Course for with an M-1 when I was about 12 years old, and didn�t finish last. He taught me to hunt on huge ranches on the Edwards Plateau in Texas in the 70�s before the days of feeders and growth hormones.

When I got old enough, I spent three years in the Guard. The team shooters were assigned to the same armory and went to practice sessions instead of going to drill. But I was in an infantry unit that went to the field all the time, which I loved, so I chose to drill with my them and go to practice sessions. It was a busy schedule, but I got plenty of ammo and plenty of exercise. I shot everything I could every chance I could. In those innocent days we kept our match guns at home, and my S&W M-41 had holster wear when I finally turned it in.

After three years in the Guard, I joined the Regular Army. Graham-Rudman budget cuts and �the needs of the Army� let me get waivers to attend the Special Forces Qualification Course, but I had to repeat Basic Training and go to Jump School first. When I finished the SFQC, I served on A-Detachments at Ft. Bragg, NC and at Ft. Lewis, WA. I spent a lot of time carrying various weapons in the field, which gave me a lot of insight in to what a soldier really needs out of his gear. I got lots of trigger time with some interesting weapons, but aside from bar fights and a scare or two, I was never in combat. After six and a half years in SF, I left the Army.

For the next several years, I worked in gun shops, taught shooting classes, ran ranges and read almost every word that Jeff Cooper ever wrote. Based on his work and on my military experience, I began to favor his modern methods over the classic disciplines. I was married with kids by then and had reached the point where I couldn�t support a family working in gun shops, so I went back to school and earned a degree in writing.

Now I�m a copywriter. I work in ad agencies, which is like getting paid to eat chocolate cake. Along with writing, I study how media are evolving and how that affects buying decisions. I think print journalism will always have a place, but it�s ruled by brands and it only sends ideas one way so I don�t know what that place will be. The real action is on the internet. It moves so much faster and lets people communicate so much more easily that our voices as individuals are now louder than a brand�s voice. In that sense, we�ve all become gunwriters.

So other than the one article I mentioned at the start of this post, I�m a gunwriter on the internet. My work is worth what you pay for it.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Hope this isn�t presumptuous, because I only discovered and joined this site tonight.

Since 1967, I have made my entire living as a reporter, columnist, editor, and publisher specializing in hunting and fishing and, since 2000, as author of books for and about international big game hunters.

My clients have included Weatherby Award recipients C.J. McElroy, H.I.H. Prince Abdorreza, Watson Yoshimoto, Arnold Alward, Hubert Thummler, and David Hanlin.

�The History of Safari Club International� has my byline, but not the two books I ghostwrote for well-known hunters of mountain and African game. My own book, �Sixty Years A Hunter,� will be published by Safari Press this year.

When I complete in November the book I'm working on now, I will have sold approximately 1.4 million words since retiring from my SCI post in 1999.

My training as a writer and editor came under the pressure of a daily newspaper�s deadlines. Over the 27 years I worked for that paper, I wrote close to 2,800 twice-weekly outdoor columns and maybe twice that many feature and news articles about hunting and fishing.

Before I retired from the paper in 1994, I also worked five years on its copy desk from 4:00 to 8:00 am, writing headlines and editing and rewriting articles others had written, and served on its editorial board.

From 1984 to 1999, I also edited and directed SCI�s Safari magazine and the SCI record books as an independent contractor. I conceived and launched Safari Times and Safari Times Africa. The first became a financial success, the second lost money and was shut down. After I retired in 1999, my wife and I co-edited Safari Cub magazine during its brief life.

My tenure as editor of the SCI record books, and working closely with the club�s trophy records committee, gave me a unique education on the natural history of all the world�s big game animals.

Although I sold several gun articles to magazines early in my career, I would never call myself a �gun writer.� I�ve hunted on six continents and in a dozen countries, and I view guns the same way I do shovels. Some are better suited for certain tasks, to be sure, but most of them will do the job. When hunting the animals most Americans hunt, bullet placement is more important than caliber, maker, action-type, velocity or even bullet type.

As for Elmer Keith, who was mentioned earlier in this thread, I hold the distinction of having rejected an "article� -- and I use the term loosely -- that he sent me at Safari magazine. It began something like this: �Im duing yu faver sumiting thsi articul ... � The piece also was full of misspellings and errors of grammar, punctuation, and even fact.

Bill Quimby

Last edited by billrquimby; 04/12/09.
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Welcome to the Campfire, Bill!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
It's our pleasure to see you here Bill.

We hope to hear from your experience.

Just don't correct my own poor grammar! grin

IC B2

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I'm just crackpot, alot of what I believe is what I have seen and done in my life and even more of it comes from more crackpots. It's fairly easy to tell who knows what they are talking about and thoose who don't. Others probably believe what I was once told by a crackpot... "If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, you need to baffle 'em with bull@#$&."

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by billrquimby

As for Elmer Keith, who was mentioned earlier in this thread, I hold the distinction of having rejected an "article� -- and I use the term loosely -- that he sent me at Safari magazine. It began something like this: �Im duing yu faver sumiting thsi articul ... � The piece also was full of misspellings and errors of grammar, punctuation, and even fact.

Bill Quimby

Hello Bill:

I enjoyed the last paragraph in your posting (above) as it confirms something I was told in 1962. That summer I worked in Central Idaho and two of the guys on my crew came from Salmon and Lewiston (Idaho) respectively. One knew Elmer Keith and the other knew Jack O'Connor.

Jack O'Connor was considered to be very quiet (almost reclusive) but a decent guy who'd answwer questions if you asked.

Elmer Keith, I was told, was an outgoing "expert" and considered himself to be THE real expert in many fields, even when he was wrong. Having read several by and about Keith, I concluded that my friend was wrong; maybe he wasn't.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I never met O'Connor. I did know many people of his era who knew him well when he lived in Tucson. Not all were his fans.

Bill Quimby

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just read this thread...thanks to all!!!

Last edited by Henry McCann; 07/14/09.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I am a very avid reader. I have a bookcase in the loo, my bedroom, and living area. If I'm not on the computer or in my machine shop, I'm reading. I so admire you guys that write as it just ain't my deal. I wish it were.
I've only had personal dealings with Steve{SDH} Hughes, Tom Turpin, and Jim Carmichal. These were small business dealings and they were all good honest gentlemen. Jim makes a wicked martini and I know he is a terrific BR shooters. He has several points toward the BR Hall of Fame. Having read most of the outdoor writers has been a real joy. Thanks Mr. Howell for the autographed book that I purchased several years ago. I am getting old and kinda jump from one thing to another.
Butch

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Carmichel does indeed make a wicked martini.

John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I would like to add that Jim Carmichel just finished the NBRSA benchrest nationals. After a weeks shooting in 4 different gun classes Jim finished 20th overall out of 172 shooters. His average group after 30 5 shot groups and 16 10 shot groups was a .2496 MOA average group size. Ain't no mulligans or called fliers, every shot counts. That is damn good shooting for any man.
Butch

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jim can sure shoot. I have watched him do it. And evidently he still can at around age 70.

John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
A few months ago I saw a list of Jim's rifles that were going to sold- It was astounding.

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, apparently after he retired from Outdoor Life he decided to let some of 'em go!

John Steinbeck
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Jim can sure shoot. I have watched him do it. And evidently he still can at around age 70.

Huhhh ... he's "around age 70" - that's only 2 years ahead of me and I've been reading his writings for 40+ years. God - does time fly!!!

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
A number of years ago I had the pleasure of meeting Fred Huntington of RCBS fame... He was in a wheelchair, on oxygen but was very kind to me and we chatted for almost an hour. He and Jim Carmichael were hunting buddies and Mr. Huntington shared some fantastic stories with me... Being a 280 Rem. fan, I asked him about a lightweight 280 that Mr. Carmichael wrote about in Outdoor Life and gave Mr. Huntington credit for giving him the stock blank. He told me all about it and was pleased I remembered the story. It was an afternoon I'll never forget.

When I was a kid, I wasn't a good reader and I didn�t like school. My folks ordered me Outdoor Life and Guns and Ammo magazines and I learned to read because I was crazy about guns and hunting. Every month I couldn't wait to read the latest article from Jack O'Conner. To me his articles were "manna from heaven"... Reading about O'Connor hunting a Fannin Ram the Yukon or Stone Sheep in BC was the fuel that stoked my desire to someday go on a sheep hunt. Years later, when fate and the "Gods of Hunting" smiled on me, and I killed my Dall sheep in Alaska, I was flooded with memories of those O�Conner articles.

When O'Conner retired and Charmichael took over, I remember the article he penned, "To Fill a Giants Boots"... Mr. Carmichael did a great job and then some.

Ovis_Chaser

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Ovis_Chaser,
I shared your post with Jim. Below is his reply.

Butch, many thanks for the kind words. I appreciate more than I can say. Is that a recent post?
As to the Huntington rifle, it is a prize piece in my collection. The stock is yama wood and was made by Montie Kennedy. Fred hunted with it on several of our hunting trips before giving it to me. I've got lots of Fred Huntington stories to tell sometime when we're together. I was mighty lucky to know him. We hunted in places like Iran and Sudan where there will never be hunting again.
best to all
jc

I thought you might like this.
Butch

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I am new to this great forum, wonderful reading and info. I went to CO school of Trades with a gent by the name of Jack Mitchell that did I think some books for Gun Digest.I would like to correspond with him and some of the others I was there with. Wayne Novak was there, have talked to him in the last 8 years,
Sterling Davenport(what a quality stockmaker),Steve Fisher(stocks and checkering), Reeve Abraben from FL, Art Leckie, I heard he bought Beuhler, don't know for sure. It was wonderful then, instructors like Ralph Bone( for you old heads), Sid Cross, Gus Crites(barrel man for P O ackley),Dean K. (6.5 Rem.Mag). We had a good group and a wonderful camraderie. Now I am back in SC and working for the Rail Road paying for my daughter to go to grad school, but it is worth every dollar I spend.
Mule Deer,
Can you offer any info, thanking you in advance,
CBI

CO School of Trades, Gunsmithing, '76
Clemson University '74
Go Tigers
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
CBI,

I am good friends with Jack Mitchell and as a matter of fact was just on a bear hunt in Alaska with him in late August. I am sure he'd be glad to hear from you.

I have Jack's phone # around here someplace. I'll get it to you and he might be able to get you in touch with some some of the other guys.

John Steinbeck
Page 12 of 19 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
651 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 72 invisible), 2,658 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,603
Posts18,398,309
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.