Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
grantimusmaximus,
You are the man! You got it at less than dealers cost!
I picked one up myself. I had always wanted a 375 H&H Magnum, but could never afford one. I had my eye out for a used Browning Safari made with the Belgian FN mauser action.
However I realized that after hunting with my Remington 700 for over 19 years in 35 Whelen it has never malfuntioned, I thought why not another one (for my son) so I bought it for him! wink
I am testing it for him this year and shot a huge porcupine.
Very satisfying. It will make a nice rainy day bear rifle!
I think Remington has gotten the hang of making 700's by now!
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Hey, it's always good to have one for rainy Alaska and a nice one for sunny Africa, right?

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
You have a 700 375 HH? Proof:
[Linked Image]

Would like to see ANY M70 you have in 375.....

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by beechdrvr
Originally Posted by 3sixbits
A push feed DGR? Lets get real here folks. I'm the original fan of the .375H&H, it's my first choice. But a push feed for a DGR, that's just taking things past too much.

I hope if nothing else the bolt handle doesn't fall off. As you may or may or may not know, Remington is notorious for this. What happens when you shoot a round that sticks in the chamber? Push feed versus control round feed? No comparison.

This is hunting, not target practice at the range.

Funny... I've met several PH's who use pushfeed rifles. The last guy I hunted with in Tanzania last month has a pushfeed .458 Win and said he wouldn't own a Mauser actioned rifle. He's used this rifle for over twenty years, and once owned a gun shop in Capetown. So not everyone agrees with you, particularly some of those who are out there in it every day.

Funny, read this:
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I paraphrase from renowned author, PH, former editor of African Hunter Magazine and head examiner for PH qualifications in Zimbabwe, the "gold standard" of PH licensing:

"The Remington 700 may be a very fine hunting rifle. I don't know because I've never used one, but I do know that it is a poor dangerous game rifle, particularly in 416 Remington caliber. Apart from the odd inexplicable misfire, a broken extractor cost us an elephant wounded and lost at Rifa (the hunting area where the yearly exams are conducted) one year, and this is not the first year that I'd seen a broken extractor on a 700. In addition they are about the hardest rifle to reload in a hurry. My memories of this rifle are typically of youngsters frantically trying to thrust cartridges into the magazine, only to have a double feed,the rounds pop straight back out or other problems. The impartial "Pro-Shot" timer, tells me a two round reload takes, on average, twice as long with the model 700 as it does with just about any other make of rifle. I do not know that anything can be done with the Remingtons except to re-barrel them to a plainsgame cartridge and leave them at home when out after the dangerous game stuff.

That's from a consummate professional. I believe I'll take him at his word. Oh his favorite? M98s or clones of course! jorge

And if you look at the surveys on both of Boddington's African Rifles books, you'll see PH's preference for CRF is quite overwhelming. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
A double rifle is always nice too! wink
whelennut

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
$10,000 minimum for a double keeps many of us from enjoying our wish list. $2500 for a decent DGR bolt ready to tango leaves an extra 7500 bucks for the hunt. That does not keep me from dreaming.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
V
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
V
Had the rifle for nearly a year and half and finally got around to getting it out to shoot....CAS does it right!~ Sighted it in this morning and this was after lunch. 3-shot group at 100yrds (~.5). Oh, I didn't like the mcswily so I sent it back to McMillan for a do-over...Greg. Forgot it is a DG nor SPS - - finally looked at the manual.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by vacrt2002
Finally got around to getting it out....

Originally Posted by vacrt2002
Tough composite stock w/ positive checkering. Matte carbon steel action from solid-bar stock. Famous "three rings of steel" strengh. 24" bbl w/ open sights & bbl band. Drilled/tapped for mounts. X-MARK Pro Trigger is adjustable. Nice recoil-reducing R3 pad, a embellished hinged floor plate w/ Special Engraving & studs.

It's SPS. I have one (not DG version) the SPS, CAS coated it, floated it and wrapped in a mcswirly. Would love to show you, but it's in storage in VA and I'm CT. Maybe next month I'll get and actually get to pull the trigger. I only had it a week before I moved...........gl
[Linked Image][/img]

Last edited by vacrt2002; 09/12/09.

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
To me Weatherby = Africa even though it is a pushfeed.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Since I have one in college and the other starts next fall I won't be going to Africa soon.
I did go there 20 years ago and a Cape Buffalo hunt not including airfare or lodging was $7,500.
This hunt was being marketed as a good deal for a business man on a business trip who was already in South Africa and just wanted to break up the monotony with a quick 5 day buffalo hunt.
I haven't checked on prices in 20 years but my feeling is if you can't afford a double rifle then you won't be able to pony up for the hunting trip either. JMHO
For North America I think the Remington 700 is just fine because if you are out of state you will have a guide with you for brown bear anyhow.
whelennut

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
PS,
I went bear hunting for four days and the bolt handle never fell off once although the Uncle Mikes scope caps are out in the forest somewhere.
whelennut wink

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
[Linked Image]
Proof that the bolt handles are still in place on the 35 Whelen and 375 H&H Magnum.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
[Linked Image]
After a rigorous weekend of bear hunting the bolt handle is still hanging in there. Good investment for $549.00
10 hrs of rain and no rust.
whelennut

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
[Linked Image]
After four more days of looking for Mr. Big I saw this bandit sneaking some of my raspberry filling. I didn't lug that 40lb pail into the woods a mile from the nearest road just so he could help himself.
By the way take a look at the bolt handle, still in place after all this time! whistle
whelennut

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I would not use any big bore DGR in a pushfeed. I have seen cartridges fall out of them and had that happen to me on one ocassion as I tried to manipulate the action at a run to catch a herd of Cape Buffalo..

In our African camps, I have seen extractors break on Remington 700s, and it is well known that this has happened on more than a few ocassion. bolts break off because they are soldered on, I have seen them jam on many ocassions and that has been accredited to operational error, mostly from working the action too slow, so what? it still happened. I had a bolt handle break off of my Rem 722, when I hit it lightly with a hammer on a stuck case, and have seen that happen with a Rem 700 in 30-06 when a plainsgame broke the bolt handle off with the palm of his hand...

We are all products of our experiences thus my choice of the Custom Mauser first and foremost, followed by the pre 64 M-70 Win. not counting my double rifles.

I am not saying that the Mauser or Win cannot fail as anything made by man can fail, but the Mauser has never failed on me, nor have I witnessed a failure with a Mauser, and the M-70 only once in a long lifetime of hunting. I do believe all rifles should be tweeked and all mine are tweeked and tested throughly before being hunted with, at least most of time and always on DG. Rem failures have all been due to poor design IMO...

To each his own and what someone else uses is none of my business, just stating my choices and my reasons for those choices to address the original posters question.

Last edited by atkinson; 09/29/09.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The BDL and Classic changed style of rear sights over the years.
Now the XCR has a new blade that looks like a pistol sight.

For those of you who own a Model 700 in .375 H&H, are you using the factory iron sights, or did you replaced them with something else?

If you replaced them, did it require gunsmithing, or just bolt on, and how are they working out?

I like the balance and slim forend of the XCR, but the stock is a bit too straight for using the iron sights. I might have to put on a laminated wood stock with some drop on the butt.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Yeah they kill like anything else!!

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Nice! grin

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I just got my new SPS DG! I can't wait to try it out. I also bought my Dad one just because he is the best man I know!! I'll let you know how they do! I would put a pic on here but I don't know how!!

A lion does not concern himself with the opinions of the sheep.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a 700 Rem SPS-DG in .375 H&H last spring because it was nib for $520. I am pleased, though I've not shot it yet. If the bolt falls off or I have problems with extracting or reloading, I will post. I've been shooting bolt rifles for 40 yrs and and lots were Rems. I have yet to have a bolt fall off. In fact, any problems that I've experienced, were of my own making. I still have lots of bolts with several Howa's/Vanguards now, and no problems with any of them. I know, there is not much DG in KS, but like someone posted, every needs at least on .375. Life is good.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Just finished setting my SPS DG up for this seasons deer hunting. I installed a Leupold VX-2 2-7x33 set in leupold Rifleman rings and bases. I'm going to shoot Speer 235s @ 2650 fps. I'll report how it does. I still cant figure out how to put up pictures....GRRRRR!

A lion does not concern himself with the opinions of the sheep.
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (12344mag, 163bc, 16penny, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 160user, 61 invisible), 1,995 guests, and 1,110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,195
Posts18,465,925
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.