-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Right at 9 lbs ready to shoot....The stock lost about 5 oz.It was not lot,but it feels better in MY hands.I wish I had darkened the stock more,but I was not thinking.The checkering is a little finer than factory as well.I'm still thinking about a better looking recoil pad,but too many projects.....

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SWJ
Go with couple B...You can't have a Belted and non-belted case paired together. Nor can you pair a metric and english calibers paired up! For safety's sake, Stick with 7x57 and 9.3x62.

Think of the consequences of a mismatched pair..... a.338x57?

Or they could have a 8x57 and that seems to work out in various situations - combat and hunting for example.

The 338x57 or 8.5x57 might not be a bad round. Chuck Hawks had an online article on the subject. http://www.chuckhawks.com/338_OConnor.htm

Scott

You missed the point.......

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Great lookin rifles there...I also use a 9.3x62 but mines in a 1895 Winchester lever gun,Danny at Cutrifles did the rebore and chamber for me some years ago.It has taken a number of critters.286gr.Woodleigh p.p bullet.Up here in Alaska were i guide at.Here's a little story and pictures on my buddy's web site. www.bgoodeknives.com/alaskahunt.htm

Last edited by brownbearhunter; 07/15/09.
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Nice link and photos there.

Retired cat herder.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Nice bear Jim. But it looks like it's about time I went after another ram with you - pretty nice! Are you still in AK or back down in the USA?

BTW, I finally broke down and picked up a short 9.3x62.

Last edited by Wildcatter264; 07/15/09.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

IC B2

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SWJ
TC1:

Wow! That is a great looking rifle. How does she shot and where did you get the walnut?

Scott

I bought the wood on ebay. It's a very accurate rifle.

Terry

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by SWJ

Couple B:

[Linked Image]

If, I can't decide soon, it will have to be a three-some!

False choice. You can go beltless by choosing the 338-06 and have a handsome threesome...

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by TC1
Here's mine. I did the stock myself which made it almost affordable. That's a piece of Claro walnut.

I'm not much on recoil so it's about as "big bore" as I want.

[Linked Image]

Terry

Can anyone say "gun lust"?!?!?!!?

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by brownbearhunter
Great lookin rifles there...I also use a 9.3x62 but mines in a 1895 Winchester lever gun,Danny at Cutrifles did the rebore and chamber for me some years ago.It has taken a number of critters.286gr.Woodleigh p.p bullet.Up here in Alaska were i guide at.Here's a little story and pictures on my buddy's web site. www.bgoodeknives.com/alaskahunt.htm

Is that a Win '95 w/ the moose?

Hubba hubba.

More gun lust... good 'ole American gun lust... not that European stuff I experienced above... wink

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
For what its worth I will pass my judgement of some of the bullets that I have take game with...

1.Noser 286 gr.: A great bullet but tougher than most think, you don't a whole lot of expansion on deer size game but it works well enough and is one of my all around favorite.

2. Speer .270 gr.: I have had this bullet come apart like a bomb on too many ocassions on deer size game..I have no use at all for it.

3. North Fork softs are fantastic and the North Fork Cup Point is one of my favorite buffalo bullets, in fact I use it exclusively on buffalo, no need for a soft or a solid if you use the cup point.

4. Woodleigh 286 ge.: Like all Woodleigh bullets they just work on everything but they are velocity specific, so I would pick according to your load and/or your barrel length and try them first..Always a great choice.

5. Northfork flat nose solids: always a good choice for buffalo, but again I prefer the cup points as they kill better and penetrate as well as a solid.

6.250 gr. GS Customs ( I suspect the same would apply with the Barnes) a great bullet at 2700 FPS in my 26 inch tube..shoots flat and works on about everything..I get great expansion with these but don't go heavier with a monolithic.

7. The 320 gr. Woodleigh Soft point holds a special place in my love or bullets for the 9.3x62 or 64, it is the devastator and works on anything you shoot with it up to and including buffalo, but it requires a 26 inch tube and max load to perform in the 9.3x62. It will work fine in the 9.3x64 on buffalo with any barrel length from 22" I suspect to 24 inch as ideal..I have shot a number of buffalo with this bullet in the 9.3x62 and two in the 9.3x64, both worked well so far...

I believe these are the only bullets that I have used on game as best I recall..The 9.3x62 is a grand caliber and can come close to duplicating the 9.3x64 but it requires RL-15 and a 26 inch barrel to do so...I have not tried Mule Deers load with Ramshot but I certainly intend to.

IC B3

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Ray,

When countries establish "minimum calibers" like 9.3 or 375, do they also designate a ft/lbs minimum in place that'd stop me from bringing, for instance, a 9.3x57 out after black death or some-such?

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
efw,
Some do and some don't..Zimbabwe made he 9.3x62 legal but only with a handload that reaches some nebulas number..The true fact is nobody is going to pull your bullets and check it out..I doubt if any of the established game scouts have a chronograph and if they did they wouldn't know how to use it and would first have to learn how to read...

The locals in african use the 9.3x62, mostly in Namibia it seems, but a smattering in all of the African countries, and nobodys looking..African is like that.:)

I know its always best to abide by the laws of Africa, but I have on many ocassions used a 9.3, 338, and even the 8x57 and 30-06 on cape buffalo as has every PH and local African that lives there. Many buff are shot each year in every camp by women or young boys with lesser calibers than the law requires..Keep in mind the game scout can allow it if he wishes and the PH can prompt him to allow it as a rule,They are for the most part a pratical bunch.

Keep in mind also that things work differently in the 3rd worlds, but don't try to join in without the proper knowledge or advise of your PH who knows the rules of edicate in the princely art of bribery..:)

I remember one time when I was about 100 lbs. overweight on my returning luggage..I asked the manager if I could buy his mother some tea to solve her age problems and he said thank you and that he would be grateful for such a nice favor and passed my luggage to the plane..As I was boarding the plane he came running out yelling stop Mr. Atkinson, whooops, aw crap, He approached me and handed me a receipt for 20 lbs. of tea. I near passed out! smile

Welcome to Africa, ya gotta love it.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Blooded a rifle with the 285gr Norma Oryx factory load. Through and through a bull moose at short range, breaking a bunch of ribs. No recovered bullets or parts. Would use again. And the rifle shot under 1.25 MOA from a field rest when I checked zero. Sounds good to me.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The bottom line, cutting through the stuff, is that the advantages of a 9.xx62 are it can be made very light and thats a great advantage in the hot African bush towards the end of the day, it is sufficiently powerful to kill a buffalo and recoil is that of a maidens caress..That is a hard combination to beat...

As to power it does not have the power of the 375 and up, but its close enough to suit me and it works well enough.

So take your pick..no harm will come out of either.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The bottom line, cutting through the stuff, is that the advantages of a 9.xx62 are it can be made very light and thats a great advantage in the hot African bush towards the end of the day, it is sufficiently powerful to kill a buffalo and recoil is that of a maidens caress..That is a hard combination to beat...

As to power it does not have the power of the 375 and up, but its close enough to suit me and it works well enough.

So take your pick..no harm will come out of either

And if you don't believe me then I will sell you either my .375 or my 9.3x62 and keep whichever one is left! hows that? smile smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by atkinson
it is sufficiently powerful to kill a buffalo and recoil is that of a maidens caress..That is a hard combination to beat...

smile smile

Ray, you are an eloquant gentleman.
Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Medman,
The problem is I just keep repeating myself! smile age related no doubt.

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

255 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 300_savage, 1beaver_shooter, 35 invisible), 2,805 guests, and 1,029 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,625
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.