Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've been using Coleman and Igloo coolers for decades, and for the most part been happy. With the passage of time, however, remote trips are getting longer (like 12 to 15 days), and I'm less happy with their performance. If we totally load a unit to the gills with blocks, we can have ice for 10 to 11 days.

The biggest issue with these brands is folks habitual use of coolers as camp seats, and over time the lids no longer seal adequately. Despite my best efforts, I can't give them constant protection around camp.

Has anyone out there used the Yeti units for extended trips. For the price of a single Yeti, one can buy 6 or 7 Igloos or Colemans of the same capacity. Just wondering if it would be cost effective to put $250 to $600 into the purchase of a single unit. If their design could retain ice for 13 or 14 days in 80+ degree temps, and they indeed display the advertised structural strength, I might consider a purchase. Anyone using them???? 1Minute

1Minute
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My buddy uses one on his whitewater raft. It's very good at keeping ice. You might get 14 days of nothing but ice in 80 degrees if you keep it closed, kept wet towels on, and rarely opened it. Lot's of time we'll duct tape a cooler closed. Air is what really melts ice. But if I recall the Yeti has a very tight lid, so maybe you'd not need that.

It's very stout, though. Used as a seat, you'd probably be okay. It's really heavy. Might not be an issue for you, but in a raft, it can be a pain. Especially if you're hauling it in and out of the raft every day.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Coleman Extreme had ice in it 7 days after I initially put it in..but for your time frame maybe the Yeti is the ticket?

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
its worth the price based on what you are trying to keep cold. If it is just a 6 pack, no, but if it is the meat off your once in a life time Elk, yep laugh

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What do you think your chances are of shooting a yeti? grin

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Really, one has to keep Yeti Carcasses ( CARCI ?) EXTREMELY cold.

That's why we never find their carci,.......at anything warmer than 20* F they just fade away.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Really, one has to keep Yeti Carcasses ( CARCI ?) EXTREMELY cold.

That's why we never find their carci,.......at anything warmer than 20* F they just fade away.

GTC

Probably don't see many of those critters down your way if they have to be kept that cold. grin

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yetis ?

They're pretty much finished in the Sierra Madres, Chiracahuas and up into the Mogallons.
Down here around my place they've thinned right out, since I got the Chupacabra breeding program on track.

Fresh Yeti is one of Chupa's favorite meals.

We're working on shifting their "Prey Focus / appetite" over to ACORN, and other belligeren inner city gang types.

Risky livestock research project, for sure, ......

We definately have to be careful, with oour grant applications.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Reading on fishing forums, especially in offshore reports... says they ain't worth the cash at all. I have no personal experience other than I was going to drop the cash to have ONE great cooler, and decided against it.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Crossfire, I think you are on the right track. Keep up the good work. wink

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
At $300-400 bucks, it should have a ice maker & water dispenser in it.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have one of THESE , which is comparible to the Yeti, but I believe a little bit cheaper. Mine is the 65 quart model & I paid $240 for it.

Like you I have always had one of the Stainless Steel Coleman coolers that I carry in the back of my pickup and always filled with Diet Mt Dew. During the summer I would have to put a 20# bag of ice in every day.

With the Engel cooler, I have cut way back on the ice purchaces, I am down to 1 20# bag every 4 or 5 days now. I have put bottled water in the freezer and had ice in them after 2 weeks with 90 degree temps. The whole key is to have cold items to put into the cooler and then keep it packed full. For me, I will buy the refrigerated pop and I only drain the water off as needed, when I put a new bag of ice in.

Yes, it will pay for itself in just the savings on the ice purchases.

One other thing, DO NOT TRY TO DRAIN WATER OUT IF THE LID IS CLOSED. The lid is O-Ring sealed and with the lid closed any draining of water will create a suction so tight, you will have to latch the lid and tip the cooler up & open the drain to equalize pressure.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Best bang for the buck still seems to be the Igloo Marine series. These are of much higher quality than the lower priced units. Sturdily built, replaceable hardware. I've got to think that thousands, if not tens of thousands have been used as whitewater rafting seats. About half the price of the Yetis in the bigger sizes (90,128,162 qt). What's not to like?

Use 2-3 coolers for your trip. Only be in and out of one cooler at a time for the first 5-7 days, keeping the other(s) completely unopened, and as Steve mentioned - sealed with duct tape. If you've got access to a walk-in freezer, put the coolers in there overnight prior to your trip. Maybe a couple pounds of dry ice. Food will still be well refrigerated after 15 days on a Grand Canyon rafting trip.

http://www.rrfw.org/RaftingGrandCanyon/Cooler_Type_and_Packing

Scott

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Best thing we ever did with the marine coolers was fill 1/2 to 3/4 with water and stick in a walk in freeezer until solid, then load up when ready to go. Be aware that much water doesn't freeze solid quickly though.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
ExpatFromOK:
What do you think your chances are of shooting a yeti?
About the same as my drawing a once in a lifetime bighorn tag here in Oregon.

Being as I've not heard any really glowing reports, I think I will pass. Again, for the price of a single Yeti, I can purchase 6 to 8 Igloo units and probably still be ahead over the longrun. Thanks for the feedback, 1Minute

1Minute
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 1minute
ExpatFromOK:
What do you think your chances are of shooting a yeti?
About the same as my drawing a once in a lifetime bighorn tag here in Oregon.

Being as I've not heard any really glowing reports, I think I will pass. Again, for the price of a single Yeti, I can purchase 6 to 8 Igloo units and probably still be ahead over the longrun. Thanks for the feedback, 1Minute

You'll never regret purchasing anything that says Yeti or Cambro on it and by the time those Igloo's wear out your Cambro will just be getting started. My oldest Cambro is 20 plus years old and still works as good as the first day I bought it. Granted not cheap but you get what you pay for. I keep a Cambro in the truck all the time. It's great for anything hot or cold. This coming from someone who uses coolers for everything you can think of. Especially, hunting, fishing, catering and competitions. For my money insulated coolers are the way to go.

JMO!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by 1minute
...Coleman and Igloo coolers...we can have ice for 10 to 11 days.

...Yeti...$250 to $600...retain ice for 13 or 14 days.

That kind of money, for two or three more days?

Ain't worth it in MY book anyway.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

176 members (19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 345dl, 1_deuce, 25 invisible), 2,761 guests, and 991 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,278
Posts18,467,643
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.