-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Most of my hunting is off horseback with guns in saddle scabbards. All my hunting brass is neck sized. I've NEVER had a problem chambering and nothing gets much dirtier or dustier than on a saddle in Wyoming or Montana.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If it's just that you don't want to buy a neck die do the partial full sizing method. I haven't read the whole thread and possibly it's already been suggested, but here's the way to do it inexpensively without tools.

Back off your FL die about a half turn. That's about .075". Lube and size a fired case at that setting. Try to chamber it, it shouldn't chamber but if it does, back it off another quarter turn. Start turning the die in, in very small increments like about an eighth of turn or slightly less. That's sizing about .005" at a time. Try chambering the case and keep repeating the sizing process and screwing the die down slightly until the case chambers with a very slight crush fit. Set your lock ring right there. You might check a couple of more cases that haven't been repeatedly sized to make sure your adjustment is spot on. You now have what many people would call neck sized cases with only slight sizing of the body. That slight crush fit enables the case to lie concentrically in the chamber supposedly enhancing accuracy if all the other components of the action are "straight".

As noted earlier, many swear by this method for accuracy and it would be almost the same thing as a benchrester would do by matching their custom chambers and dies, if that's the way they are doing it today.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I use the partial sizing method for my .25-284 simply because I don't have a Lee Collet Die for it. I tend to use the Lee Collet Dies for sizing all of my other rifle rounds.
Regardless of which method, the sized cases need to tried in the rifle for ease of chambering before taken into the field. The loaded ammo also needs to be so tested. That way, it always works when needed. I find, for instance, after 4-5 loadings, my Rem .280 cases might need FL sizing. Especially if they have been loaded hot. But usually not.
When I partially size, I don't like very much "crush fit." Loads which are just barely easy to chamber seem to shoot just as well. I'll take reliabile, easily chambered ammo any day over something that might be slightly more accurate.
I'd also point out that Lee Collet Neck Sizing Dies aren't made like most neck sizing dies. The necks come out perfectly straight. No lube needed. But, again, sooner or later your cases may need FL sizing. E

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For me the following are the definitions of the different sizing methods:

Partial Neck Sizing - Sizing only part of the neck and not sizing the case body or the shoulder. This can be done with a FL die set about 3/4 turn up from contact with the shell holder.

Neck Sizing - Sizing all the neck and not sizing the case body or the shoulder. Neck sizing dies only here.

Partial Full Length Resizing - Sizing all of the neck, sizing the case body and setting the shoulder so there is some contact at the chamber shoulder, which is around .001" push back on the case shoulder. Combination Neck Sizer/Body Die or a FL die.

Full Length Resizing - Sizing all of the neck, sizing the case body and setting the shoulder so there is no contact with the chamber shoulder if the case is seated against the bolt face. Combination Neck Sizer/Body Die or a FL die.

http://www.303british.com/id29.html
http://www.varmintal.net/arelo.htm#Neck
http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/dieadjust/index.asp

So, my answer would be that you can Partial Neck Size with a Full Length die, often with good results. IMO a better option is the very inexpensive combo of Lee Collet Neck Sizer and Redding Body Die.

"The beauty of the 2nd amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it" - Thomas Jefferson

Criminals prefer unarmed victims and dictators prefer unarmed citizens
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Agree, even as to the labels.

IC B2

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

239 members (12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 24 invisible), 2,474 guests, and 940 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,726
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.