Print Thread
Hop To
S
super T Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I'm toying with buying a RCBS ChargeMaster. Anyone out there using one? Great concept, but are they worth the money? Thanks.

HR IC

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There are people who complain the unit is slow. Poppycock. Funnel a charge into a case. Hit "dispense." While you seat a bullet, the next charge will run. By the time you drop the loaded round into a box, the next charge is ready.

You'll never go back to anything else again - unless you're forced to load in a cave with no power.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by super T
Anyone out there using one? Great concept, but are they worth the money? Thanks.

YES to both. I have it set up so that it automatically throws another charge when I replace the pan. A fresh charge is usually waiting on me.

RH

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is this what you are using? (the link is to grafs) I am thinking of getting a new powder dispenser and scale.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is it. If you are patient, it usually goes on sale for under $300 after the hunting seasons start.

RH

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have had my CM for about 3 years and love it. It has another charge ready by them time I get a bullet seated.

I wouldn't buy one unless you plan on loading more than a few loads at a time. If I'm just going to load for load development or just a box of 20, I'll use my 1010 most of the time.

loder

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

The new one's are OK - I've had the older verision (seperate scale and dispenser) and the current model.

The current one is pretty good and faster than the old one. The only issue I don't like is that you have to watch the scale read out, 1 out of 20 loads will be off - the scale shows it, but the thing beeps when it's done dispensing.

Spot

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
There are people who complain the unit is slow. Poppycock. Funnel a charge into a case. Hit "dispense." While you seat a bullet, the next charge will run. By the time you drop the loaded round into a box, the next charge is ready.

You'll never go back to anything else again - unless you're forced to load in a cave with no power.

stated perfectly !!!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
A while back I did the load work up for my ex-son-in-law's ne rifle using IMR-4831. The first batch took a long time using he RCBS Uniflow which isn't too happy when working with those powders shaped like redwood logs. Well, it turns out were were on the right track with his loads and now it was time to do the fine tuning of the loads. As it turned out, I had to go to Sportsman's Warehouse to get more bullets. (This was beofre the Obama the Ursurper hoarding rush.) and I picked up a couple boxes of the bullets and primers needed. As I wa slooking to see if there might be something else to add to the basket, I pointed out the RCBS 1500 Chargemaster to my wife saying that would make this load work up a lot easier. She said, "Why not just get it right now as long as you're here?"
Gotta love that woman. Best investment I've ever made when it comes to reloading tools.
Look at it this wy. Adjusting the Uniflow and weiging and trickling charges for 5 rounds of each load took over 4 hours. I'm very careful weighing charges when doing preliminary load work up and those log type powders just flat suck in normal measures. Using the Chargemaster, I loaded just as many weighed test loads as the pevious day in just under an hour. Ain't no way you're gonna beat that with any kind of stick.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For those using the Chargemaster, there are software tweaks available on line to make the unit faster/more reliable. IIRC, these tweaks/upgrades originated from an RCBS technican and were as a result of customer complaints of the unit sometimes being slow and/or inconsistant...

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Recently I was at a friend's house, and tried to reload without my trusted Chargemaster. I almost pulled my hair out! As it's been stated: Buy one, and you'll never use anything else.

As a side note, a friend bought the Lyman Digital Powder Measue, and had a very difficult time getting it to feed Ball powders. I've never any problems with the RCBS unit.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Pete -

Where are those tweaks - got a link?

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
120 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 16 invisible), 1,802 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,684
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.