Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by 3sixbits
Originally Posted by 458Win
I always tell my clients to put the first shot right behind the front shoulder and when they lock up and stand there to put the next shot through the center of the neck.

I am always suspect of any moose that immediately falls over as i can virtually guarantee that the hit it too high in the hump and that it will quickly regain it's feet and be gone unless hit again in a vital area.

You are the first guide (that I have talked to or corresponded with) in Alaska that has said the center hump shot is not a good anchor shot. I once grazed a hump at way to far for a pistol with open sights and had the SOB fall and get back up and then fell again, to late the second time as I was on him, This time from 20 feet away.

I can almost always see the hump clear of the brush for a clear shot. I can't always say that about other parts of the animal.

You cut the spinal cord and no more messages can go to the legs.

Shoot the center of the hump, and no more messages to all four legs.

That's not exactly what Phil said. He said that he can practically guarantee it is too high if the moose falls over immediatly. This has not been my experience with my CNS shots, but then I have actually hit the spine - this is apparently not his experience with his guided hunters.. and he has without doubt seen far more moose shot than I have taken.

An actual "center hump shot" as you refer too, will spine the critter, and he will go down right there, and stay down (at least on the hind end), unless, as I earlier indicated, the bullet just missed the spine high and also slipped between two of the boney spurs above.

I should add that if you cannot maintain line of sight on approaching the animal, or do not have a partner that can cover the approach, your best bet is to stand there ready to shoot, and observe for 10 to 15 minutes to make sure the animal is down for keeps. Even then, it's not a sure bet, but likely your best course of action.

In heavy brush and quite close range, it might be better to immediately rush forward (safely!) before the shock can wear off. Just depends...

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Actually, what Phil said is what I've always heard from just about anyone worth their salt in the world of guiding those who haven't done the job before. The hump, besides being a spot that is neither large in terms of lethal area, nor a certain lethal or even crippling shot, is also guaranteed to be challenging for a bullet. It is one of the most compact parts of the animal in terms of muscle, connective tissues and bone. It will seriously challenge - and often stop- many good bullets. Breaking the long bone or joints in both front legs will put the animal down right there. Missing will still be lethal in that spot (assuming the bullet is placed high enough so that a miss passes through the body).

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Having never actually humped a moose, I'll take you guys' word for it, and stick with what's worked for me. smile

Humped a Dall ram at @ 330 yards once, but that's another story. The second round, 5 inches lower and 2 inches back took him off his propped up front legs.... I found him a quarter mile away and 1500 feet lower. He was dead, virtually, at the second shot. But Gravity Sucks.

A couple guys, a year later , who had started to stalk him, told me (without knowing I was the shooter) about watching him tumble down the slope, at times 15 or more feet in the air...

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Depends, I have had some fall down 1, 2, 3 dead. Shot to the head, shot to the neck.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Las: I've had dead deer and elk do several hundered yards sliding downhill in Hells Canyon. Deer were fine as camp was downhill. The elk, no, as camp was higher.

On moose...Yes, the lungs are the largest target and a sure kill. I'd personally not administer follow ups for fear of getting them in gear. If water is around, and I'm typically alone and can't lift them from the pond, taking out a portion of spine slam dunks them instantly. In that instance, some follow up may be needed for the kill.

Last edited by 1minute; 09/25/09.

1Minute
IC B2

zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In the morning a lung shot is prefered as you have all day to deal with it. In the evening a shoulder shot will anchor them most of the time. I shot moose for 10+ yrs with a 7mag and rarely did I get one shot knock down, switched to a 35Whelen and one shot knock downs became expected as any good medium will do 33 ,35,36 and 37 calibers. Moose do not always stand perpendicular to the shooter so its nice to have enough momentum to get through the paunch to the vitals so he doesn't move away, a medium with bullets between 225gr and 300grs will do that @ => 2500fps. I consider the sub 30 calibers for local experts who can wait for the right moose and the right shot, that's why the 270Win shines in the right hands!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Structural, Plumbing and Electrical elevation view of Bullwinkle......

Attached Images
Moose1.jpg (24.14 KB, 2482 downloads)
moose2.jpg (11.58 KB, 5483 downloads)
Last edited by achildofthesky; 09/25/09.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
when i lived in alaska i shot all my moose with a 270 win using either corelokts or partitions. always waited for a broadside shot thru both lungs. none went farther that 30-40 yards. as previously mentioned, they'll just fall down unless frightened.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Head shot.

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Better living through chemistry!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Your question reminds me of my nephew when he was about twelve years old. Some one in the family ask,
"Where'd ya aim?"
"At the moose," he answered with a quisical look. Maybe he wanted to ask, "Where else?"

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by ironbender

Couldn't have stated it better myself. I love the CNS on moose -but I ain't fanatical about it...

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 11point, 12344mag, 48 invisible), 2,528 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,961
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.