-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have a Herters J9 barreled action in 6mm Remington. Richards Microfit makes a 96% inletted stock for the J9. Anyone have any experience with Richards? How difficult would it be to finish the remaining inlet work? It's too nice an action to just sit around without a stock.

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I purchased a piece of high end wood for a 240 Weatherby build. A 95% inlet. I put about 50 hours of my own effort and about $100 for chisels, gouges, and scrapers into fit and finish. I was happy. Anything that is drop in ready has way too much wood augered off.
Press the Ctrl and + keys to expand the image. Then Ctrl and the - key to bring things back to normal

I do know that others have been less than happy though. I also understand why most of us can not afford the work of a good stock maker.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 1minute; 09/20/09.

1Minute
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Richards is spotty. I;ve heard both good, and bad. My friend bought one for a Howa and it worked out perfectly. I bought one for a Mauser and the bottom metal doesn't fit correctly, among other things. I'm not sure how they are to work with, but i would try to get a stock design you like, and have them not inlet the bottom metal, bolt handle or relief for the safety on a Mauser. I've also heard guys complain about their grade of woods being overrated.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've finished one laminate from them. Good style on the stock design, fitting wasn't exact, but that's ok I expected to have to do quite a bit of finish work. The product was pretty good so no complaints there.

I wouldn't deal with them as a company again. Long wait on the stock when I was told it would ship the same day. They charged me for sling swivels and a recoil pad which were not installed or included. After months of attempting to get them to refund those costs I gave up. It wasn't worth my time to deal with them.

Ok product, poor company.

JCM

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Richards Microfit serves mostly to remind us how much we lost when Fajen went out of business. I suppose I've used a couple dozen Richards stocks. The only good thing about them was that there was always sufficient wood to allow proper shaping, fitting, and finishing. I've ordered a few uninletted blanks and really favor them for most jobs.
When it comes to customer service, they essentially have none. However, I have found Boyd's to be no better and their product is not as good. GD

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I looked at Richards and decided to order from The Great American Gunstock Company instead. The stock arrived as-described and I'm happy with it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have had good luck with Richards.

They are still a 3-4 man Mom and Pop organization. When I've called, they've always been polite. Even when I didnt purchase.

Yes, some of their stocks come in looking like a beaver chewed them out, but 60 grit on an orbital gets er down quick.

NRA Life Member
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
The way I understand it, great american and richards are one in the same? The problem I had with my stock wasn't the fact that theres to much wood, they kinda had the inletting sloppy. I've heard good things about Fajen, but unfortunately I wasn't around in their hay day. I have saw some nice fajen stocks done though.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Plan on lots of work. If not prepared or qualified you are best served else where.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the input. Never done any inlet work. With the proper tools and time, how difficult could it be to finish a stock that's 96% inletted. If not, any ideas on a stockmaker that might be reasonable.

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Makes me wish Bishop was still in business. Now there was a stock company! Tried one Richards and that was enough for me. Might as well call it 70% finished.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Richards says nothing about "FINISHED" in their descriptions.

They only list inletting percentages. It even says to prepare for some work on their webpage.

Like a lot of things lately. They are not the best, but they are only one of a few that can put decent stocks out at decent prices.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
257Deland: If one wants to get out hunting with a unit in short order, then I'd try for a plastic drop in.

With good sharp tools, a wood working vice, and lots of patience, there is nothing at all difficult about stockmaking. Perfection though, where folks will look at your work and issue "oh wow" responses, takes a lot of time.

With my last project, I could have been out the door hunting with about 8 hours of effort. Tight fits and good deep finishes, however, demand much more time.

One will need to surf up a local stockmaker. Good ones though are not cheap, because they will not put out any hurry up work, and they need adequate returns for their time.

Last edited by 1minute; 09/22/09.

1Minute
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
1-minute that's really nice piece of work.

If you decide to go the semi finished route just remind yourself that whatever percentage they give you is the easy part. Say it is 96% the last 4% takes about ten times as long as the other 96 did. Don't get in a hurry and you can come up with some pretty good results.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have had some expereince with them and also with Boyd. I bought a Boyds for my Arisaka and it was CRAP nothing was inletted correctly! There was wood where it shouldn't have been, and no wood where there should have been! Thankfully that was mostly below the stock line and it has been an absolute bear to finish.

My 'Smitty gets and like the Richards. they are indeed left "fat" or "chunky" it is so someone skilled (him, not me) can make the install and shape to fit. I lack those skills, so I leave that up to him.

In a year or so, i intend to buy one of hier VIP stocks for a Mauser, in the highest grade.

As to grades....you get what you pay for. if you price it out, Richards grade of Exhibition is priced like most other's AAA or AA+ stock. What does that tell you? That you get what you pay for, plain and simple.

If you are like me with little skill as to this, I suggest trying the VIP stock or none at all, or get a pro-fesh-i-nall

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I think Jr Gunmaker has it right. Would the 96% finished stock by Richards, would they finish it for another 4%? Yeah they say 96%, but it is closer to 50% in my opinion. My Richards wood looked good, but took a tremendous amount of time to finish.
Butch

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 1234, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 70 invisible), 2,373 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,665
Posts18,455,810
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.