Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
there are two reasons i buy the holland style recoil lug
they are easier to get in and out of the bedding when you clean your rifle
and buy the time i pay the smith to true the stock one i can almost pay for the new one

gene

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
There are some shops that will heli-arc the recoil lug to the action. There are several custom actions that come predrilled for pinned lugs. My smith cautioned against thick lugs as you are giving away some of your thread surface area of the barrel tenon to the lug. Don't know if that holds water, I am just repeating what I was told.

When I was considering a custom build I liked the idea of the heli-arced lug to the action. That was then. I am now purchasing a Borden Rimrock SSR action.

Were I to do a custom build up from a factory action I would likely go with a Ruger MK II over the Remington 700.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Reloder28
My smith cautioned against thick lugs as you are giving away some of your thread surface area of the barrel tenon to the lug. Don't know if that holds water, I am just repeating what I was told.

Not sure what he means by that? You just set the shoulder further forward, and still have the same amount of threaded barrel sticking out behind it.

It sounds like he is talking about just taking a take off barrel and screwing it in with no modifications? That ain't gonna work...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
My smith cautioned against thick lugs as you are giving away some of your thread surface area of the barrel tenon to the lug. Don't know if that holds water,
It doesn't... Geez...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
i like the tubb lug, i get them ground down to .250". on .375 and up i use em at 3/8 inch. as far as pinning goes, i only have one that is now but any more i get built will be pinned. think of it as insurance for ur bedding job in case you rebarrel down the road.

�A free people [claim] their rights as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate.�
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
There are some shops that will heli-arc the recoil lug to the action. There are several custom actions that come predrilled for pinned lugs. My smith cautioned against thick lugs as you are giving away some of your thread surface area of the barrel tenon to the lug. Don't know if that holds water, I am just repeating what I was told.

When I was considering a custom build I liked the idea of the heli-arced lug to the action. That was then. I am now purchasing a Borden Rimrock SSR action.

Were I to do a custom build up from a factory action I would likely go with a Ruger MK II over the Remington 700.
lol i'd find a new smith if he told you you would lose tennon thread to a thicker lug.

�A free people [claim] their rights as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate.�
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I had Pac-Nor Barreling use a Holland lug on my 40X, it works fine. Had Greg Tannel use his double pinned lug on another Remington rebuild, it also works well. Some fellows have the 40X action drilled for a center action screw and pillar bed all three screws in conjunction with the precision lug. In any event, the action needs to be trued to get most good out of the lug.

The Savage Precision Target Action comes with a thick target lug and pin, but the lug has to be hand fitted a bit before installing the barrel (filed shorter a couple of thousandths). You can build all the switch barrel rifles you want with any of the Savage bare actions available, single shot ot repeater. In fact, you can switch between cartridge head sizes all the way to magnums, with a corresponding replacement bolt head, although the magnum switch requires a longer firing pin and magnum baffle. I have two PTA's with barrels in .223 Remington, .204 Ruger, 6mm PPC and one on order for .243 WSSM. It's the ultimate in versatility, accuracy and value. Best of all, you can do it yourself.

Last edited by WranglerJohn; 10/02/09.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
greg is good people, does nice work too.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 56 invisible), 2,666 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,565
Posts18,453,772
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.