Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have a Leupold VX-I that has to be the hardest power selector to turn that I've ever seen. It literally hurts to turn it's so tight...

Are there any solutions to this or do I need to just send it back to Leupold for repair?

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
BP-B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have one of the rimfire models and it's the same. Looking at the customer feedback of this scope on Midway's site it appears to be a normal occurance.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I bought one that was exceptionally tight. I just left it be and it's loosened to the point that it's just right.

Travis

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wiktor
I have one of the rimfire models and it's the same. Looking at the customer feedback of this scope on Midway's site it appears to be a normal occurance.

Literally, my wife can not change the power setting on this scope. If she hunts with the rifle it's on, I set it on 5 power and that will just have to do for her.

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave
I bought one that was exceptionally tight. I just left it be and it's loosened to the point that it's just right.

Travis

3 years or so, still tight as a condom over a softball bat...

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Dawn2Dusk
I have a Leupold VX-I that has to be the hardest power selector to turn that I've ever seen. It literally hurts to turn it's so tight...

Are there any solutions to this or do I need to just send it back to Leupold for repair?

I dunno how close you are to hunting season, but it sounds like a trip home is in order for that scope. From all reports, they'll make sure you're happy.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged

I dunno how close you are to hunting season, but it sounds like a trip home is in order for that scope. From all reports, they'll make sure you're happy.

FC

If the scope has to go back, I'm not worried. I have a few sling shots around here somewhere I can use to pop a deer in the noggin' with.

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
S
SHW Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
try backing off the rear ring a little.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've had quite a few do this, and it is not uncommon. Some have suggested that the culprit is typically the rear ring being too close. However, in each instance I've experienced, the selector rings were too tight right out of the box. I had a Vari-X III that was so tight, it dang near took a wrench to move. Leupold will tell you they should be a little firm, but that was ridiculous.

One thing I have noticed, Leupolds are typically stiffer than other manufacturers. If it bothers you too much, send it back to Leupold and they will correct it.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I only own two VX1's, and both had to be sent back to Loopy so they could loosen the ring. They were stiff right out of the box, and when it was cold...forget it.

IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Ive run into that on a vx II and III i sent one back they fixed it going to send the vx III back there is a screw that looks like a set screw on the knob i was told that if you messed with it you could damage the scope and it would void the warranty but i dont know if this is true im just going to it back

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Send it back. I imagine you kept the box? It will be back in week or so, fixed.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Send it back. I imagine you kept the box? It will be back in week or so, fixed.

It will likely be returned in the condition that it should have been in when you bought it.Leupold's customer service may be great,but their quality control for their new scopes is obviously lacking.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've owned 2 Leupold scopes and both had this problem. I sent both of them back to have them looked at and they told me nothing was wrong with either of them. I loved the scopes but just coudn't get over this problem. I sold both of them and haven't owned a Leupold product since. I've read this is a common problem with a lot of Leupolds. My Swarovski and Zeiss scopes turn with ease.

You ain't about that life.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I have a fairly (?) intelligent friend who sprayed his with WD40 to loosen the power ring up.

Good thing he knows how to make money selling insurance because he won't make it in scope repair.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've had several Leupold variables and on all of them the power adjustment ring was tighter than most other brands, but they were not that bad. I actually prefer the tighter ring. I did have one 2-7 that was TOUGH to turn. It seems like it's more common with their 2-7 than any of the other scopes.

JCM

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dawn2Dusk

Every VX-I that I have owned and fondled has had the same problem. On one I owned, which happened to be a 2x7, it took so much force to turn the adjustment ring that I once tore the skin on my index finger. When I called Leupold they asked if the rings were too tight, and I had to break the news to them that the scope wasn't even mounted. I sent it back to them, they in turn sent another one to me and it was the same. I swapped it with a warning to the new owner and never considered another one. I've since looked at a number of them and though not many are as bad as the two I had, all were far tighter than I would consider to be acceptable.

The VX-II and above don't seem to have this problem.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[/quote]The VX-II and above don't seem to have this problem.
[/quote]

Mine where VX-II's.

You ain't about that life.
C
C
I have a VX-III 2.5x8 with the same problem. I called Leupold and the tech said it was "bla bla bla" and just send it back to us and we'll fix it. Even confirmed it all with an email. So, they know the problem and admit it's there's and they'll fix it. Nice!

Fritz

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So, they know the problem and admit it's there's and they'll fix it. Nice!

So why don't they just check all of their scopes before shipping them,and eliminate the problem altogether?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
609 members (219 Wasp, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 61 invisible), 2,494 guests, and 1,133 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,245
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.