Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Hi, I am looking to buy a bolt action repeater and a semiautomatic 22 rimfire. I do NOT want a detachable magazine.I have those and do not like the looks ,I want tubular magazine only. I want a good trigger pull(or can easily be made that way ) I want accuracy(less than an inch at 50 ,with hunting ammo)who makes such a rifle ? where can I find ? How much? Thanks,Craig

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
That is not possible.

The closest you will get will be one of the older Marlin or Remington tube fed bolt actions. Marlin would be a 781 and the Rem would be a 512 I think. If you are lucky either of them can be good guns, but as a rule they will not be as accurate as a magazine rifle.

Tube fed automatics are not that accurate, usually. You said with hunting ammo, like CCCI mini mags or something? I don't see it happening in an auto, 'cause about your only option now adays is the Marlin 60. I've had at least two of them, and they are bull frog guns, not long range squirrel sniping guns.

Last edited by RexM; 09/30/09.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I tend to think only Marlin makes a tube fed 22 bolt now. I agree on the older 781, as I have a older and newer Marlin bolts and prefer the older one.
Triggers are a easy fix on either, just a spring can do wonders. At rimfirecentral.com you an find good trigger fix instructions.

I have also had a couple of Marlin 60's, both were good shooters. For out of the box accuracy they are hard to beat, especially at their price. Scope one up and you just might be pleasantly surprised.

Also have a couple of Remington 512's, both will out shoot my older eyes with irons.

Remington also made tube fed 22 in a model 34, 341, and a 582 IIRC. the 582's and later 512's are grooved for a scope mount. One of the 512's we have is grooved for a scope, but I keep putting scopes on other 22's till the 512 never has had one. They are well made accurate guns. The tubes tend to hurt accuracy but are still plenty good enough for hunting.

Never owned one, we're kinda looking, but keep reading how good the little Browning 22 auto's shoot. They are tube fed from the buttstock.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Check gunbroker.com for a Browning BAR .22 long rifle, tube feed, semi-auto, accurate rifles, pricey, $800+

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=141717142

or the Browning gallery type gun, tube magazine in the stock, can add a scope.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=141717142

or the Winchester 190 for $150, tube mag semi, nice triggers, accurate rifles for hunting

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=141294831

or the Winchester 290 (the deluxe version of the 190) -

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=141619441

A few other options.......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Remington still makes the Model 552 Speedmaster, they've been making this one for decades now. I have no idea how accurate they are in general or what the trigger is like.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/rimfire_rifles/model_552_speedmaster.asp

Just looked on gunbroker and most of the ones there are going for well under $300 and even under $200. This one only has 5 hours to go and it's at $120.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=141166574

The Remington 582 was their last bolt action tube fed .22. It has the 6 lug rear lockup and looks like a mini-788. I had two 581's which is the magazine model (one in right hand and one LH), and they both were plenty accurate. The triggers on mine were a bit heavy but they broke cleanly. The 581 evolved into the 541 target model which used the same action, so I'm thinking they would certainly be up to your standards for accuracy. They magazine model is the more popular by far so you might have to look a while to find a 582.

Then there's the good old Nylon 66, which is tube fed through the buttstock. These have a cult status now and good ones are going for more than they are really "worth" as shooters, but that's just my opinion. Had one in Apache black and it was as much fun as a 14 year old could want. Trigger was a bit mushy but it would probably hold 1" at 50 yards. If you could find one that didn't have the crown worn out from injudicious cleaning that would be a fun option.

Heck, looking at those Speedmasters and their cost I might pick one up. whistle At today's prices for rimfire ammo a fellow could burn through about $2.00 a minute, but the cans and dirt would sure be flying. laugh

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[That is not possible]

Sure it is.

My Winchester Model 72 BA, a Model 69 with a tube mag, will easily beat that 50yd goal with it's vintage weaver scope.

As will my Browning/Miroku .22 Auto, with buttstock tube mag and a Tasco Bantam scope.

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Marlin makes Tube fed Bolts(m981T) and semi (Auto- M60) that will beat 1" at 50 yards all day long with their preferred ammo.

And you can get both of them for less than $400 combined most places brand new in the box.

If you look around for used guns, you can shave 30% off of that..

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
OK, auto go Rem 552, used ones can be had for 150 and up. I have one and it shoots CCI Blazers into just over 1/2 inch at 50 with a Leupold M8 4x on it and just runs no matter how dirty, there just great guns and tube fed. At 25 its a bit over 1/4 inch. On mine the trigger brakes at 3.25 lbs every time, a bit stiff but pretty dam good for a stock 22 auto IMO.

Here is mine, I paid 150 for it at Gander Mt about 3 months ago, less glass of course

[Linked Image]

Bolt gun get a Remington 512 like a few others here have said, I have a 512-X and its crazy accurate with Fed 510 ammo. Trigger is a bit stiff at 4 lbs but brakes clean and feels more like 3 lbs. Again there tube fed and nice ones can be had on gunbroker for the 175 and up area.

Here is mine

[Linked Image]

I really think that if you are after a tube fed gun you should look at the older stuff, plus with wear triggers seem to get smoother.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I believe that the Winchester 77 was made in a tube version. Back in the '60s I had one with a detachable magazine. A nice rifle, and relatively lefty friendly, as I recall. I see them mentioned on Rimfirecentral occasionally.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You may also want to look at an older Weatherby Mk XXII that were tube fed.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lots of old Mossbergs will do all that - either bolt or semi. Savage also made a few tube-fed semis, I believe. Find what ammo the gun likes and most decent .22s will shoot an inch at 50 yards from a rest.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by passport
OK, auto go Rem 552, used ones can be had for 150 and up. I have one and it shoots CCI Blazers into just over 1/2 inch at 50 with a Leupold M8 4x on it and just runs no matter how dirty, there just great guns and tube fed. At 25 its a bit over 1/4 inch. On mine the trigger brakes at 3.25 lbs every time, a bit stiff but pretty dam good for a stock 22 auto IMO.

Here is mine, I paid 150 for it at Gander Mt about 3 months ago, less glass of course

[Linked Image]

Bolt gun get a Remington 512 like a few others here have said, I have a 512-X and its crazy accurate with Fed 510 ammo. Trigger is a bit stiff at 4 lbs but brakes clean and feels more like 3 lbs. Again there tube fed and nice ones can be had on gunbroker for the 175 and up area.

Here is mine

[Linked Image]

I really think that if you are after a tube fed gun you should look at the older stuff, plus with wear triggers seem to get smoother.

That 512 is beautiful.

When I was a kid I always wanted one of the tube fed Marlin 783s, never got one. Always thought that is what a squirrel gun should look like.

Would love to have some old Remingtons hanging about the cabin now.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jim62
Marlin makes Tube fed Bolts(m981T) and semi (Auto- M60) that will beat 1" at 50 yards all day long with their preferred ammo.

And you can get both of them for less than $400 combined most places brand new in the box.

If you look around for used guns, you can shave 30% off of that..

Yep. My old Marlin 60 puts ten rounds into 1.5" at 100yds with the 4x scope attached. 50yd groups are under 3/4". No big deal.

But I have to wonder what's the problem with detachable magazines? Not all of them hang down and look ugly. Several models around that take flush-fitting mags although they don't hold as many rounds...

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is a beautiful old 512. I'd definitely get one of those old "beehive" actions - that's what I called them when I was a kid - over one of the later 580 series.

Lots of good stuff mentioned here. In the 50's and into the 60's dang near everybody made a lower priced .22 single shot and usually a tube fed counterpart - Savage, Mossberg, Remington, Winchester. They were mostly considered kid's guns or "cheap" plinkers but all of them shot great and were a hell of a lot of rifle for the money. Still are.

One thing about a tube that I've thought about is that the magazines don't get outdated. That is, it might be hard and or/expensive to find a spare mag for some of the older models but as long as the two parts of the tube magazine stay together you've got a working rifle.

You made me look! Here's an excellent condition 512 that's probably 70 years old with a current bid of only $200.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=141757960

Because of this thread I looked at a new Remington 552 Speedmaster in sportsman's Warehouse today and it was priced at well over $500 - ouch!

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is a great, man-sized .22. I have a similar one with a Motgomery Wards .22 scope on it, and the rifle still has the hang tag on the trigger guard. You can take these triggers down to under a pound if you know what you are doing. They can made very crisp, too.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=141666038

Here is real nice .22 semi, tube-fed through the stock...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=141896935

Here's a beauty!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=141805900

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have several Marlin model 60's and Model 70's, all will easily shoot inside 1/2" at 50 yards. They are accurate, reliable guns, well worth the money.
I also have Remington bolt and pump guns, both will also put shots inside 1/2" at 50, even easier with a scope. I highly recommend you consider the pump as well as the bolt, since they shoot other cartridges besides the Long Rifle, which the semi's do not.
In the past I've had Savage and Stevens bolt guns, which were also very accurate. As mentioned, they were sold cheaply as starter guns for youth, but they were well made accurate rifles.
Haunt the pawn shops and gun shows, find a good rifle at a fair price you're willing to pay, and enjoy it.

Last edited by EdD270; 10/02/09.

Think direction first, then velocity.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I would have to give a +1 on the Marlin line of firearms. Marlin model 60 semi-auto tube feed, and I think it is the model 881 bolt action tube feed. The stainless variations of these are nearly double the price but have a heavier profile micro-grooved barrel, and a highviz front sight. I own a few models a 60A, 60SS, 25MNL, and a 883SSL, as well as a Ruger deluxe 10/22 22". The stainless ones have better accuracy because of the heavier profile barrels. On the down side there are not has many custom/upgradable parts like the Ruger 10/22.

Mario

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Haunt the pawn shops and gun shows, find a good rifle at a fair price you're willing to pay, and enjoy it

Yes, Saw a 512 in a pawn shop last Saturday for $89. The blue was worn, wood was very good, and the action and bore seemed perfect.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I own dozens of .22s. The semi-auto is easy, many good ones have been mentioned already. Finding a nice tube-fed bolt action .22 rifle will be challenging and fun. Let us know what you find and good luck. "Twenty Twos" are wonderful!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

I have and have always liked the Browning (take-down) .22 auto rifle. It has a 'tube fed' magazine inside the butt stock.

Mine has always shot dead accurate and dependably since the late 1950's.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Mossberg 151 with the Mannlicher stock that is a stock fed tube semi-automatic. It also has all kinds of different sights you can swivel around to suit your taste. You see them at gun shows every now and then. They are a neat looking and fun rifle to shoot.

`Bring Enough Gun`
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
512 and 550 Remingtons.
dan

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Thats and easy one...Win. Mod 63 auto, they all shoot tiny groups and they are the best 22 ever made...in a bolt gun I would opt for eithe one to the old Brnos or perhaps the Win Mod 52, they both shoot very well indeed. these are not cheap guns but they are the best of the best..I also like the Marlin 39 Lever guns, but that wasn't your question.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What about a mag that is flush to the stock?

[Linked Image from ]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,267 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,380
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.