Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I have one of these. It is a relatively simple tent but very solidly made. Check out the prices they are running right now!

https://www.reliabletent.com/index.cfm?page=detail&Product_ID=45&CATID=9

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
BP-B2

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
For those that aren't link-clickers, how's about a 10x12' for $388... or a 12x14' for $499...

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks, I just called an bought a 12X14 with the angle kit
One thing that worries me is that it's imported from India, but I thought I'd take a chance.
Sure hope I don't regret not buying the Davis tent I had planned on

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Cool! I've heard nothing but good about Davis tents, but at the price for the Reliable's... in today's economy...

It was a no-brainer for me. I wasn't going Davis but there's a place near here that is called Salem Tent and Awning that makes some really nice tents. Nicer than my Reliable. But they are getting upwards of $2000 with frame and all! And they'll still get holes burned in 'em from cinders... still get muddy and stained etc.

I did the angle thing on mine and made my own frame. A bit tedious, but not too bad.

My first night in mine was in a massive wind and rain storm up high in Oregon; it was something else! I was very impressed with how she weathered the storm that night and subsequent ones too.

I have a fly on mine. I had a tarp made of tent fabric, by Salem Tent, some years ago to use to connect the two wall tents my buddies have, to make a cooking area between them. Then my one buddy's tent died (improper storage, and it was 20 years old), and I bought this one, and my tarp was the perfect size to do a rain fly with so I had a stove jack added to it. Something to think about.

Hope you like it, mine has been great for the money, and the Reliable folks have been very pleasant to deal with over the last couple years.

Last edited by Jeff_O; 02/24/09.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
http://www.davistent.com/davisTent/html/OrderATent.html
Looks like Davis is at $343 for a 10x12 that is made in Denver. I must be missing something but why would I pay more for made in India?

IC B2

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Good question! I'd ass-u-med from Tracks' post that Davis was a premium, expensive tent. If they are also competing at that price point, so much the better for all of us...

Price DEflation is another sign of the economic apocolypse, they say... But that's another thread <g>...

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It�s not all peach�s & cream when it comes to Davis Tent!!!!!

I've had a few problems with my both my Davis Tent, & Davis tent poles, and they don't seem to want to correct them.

The first 14 x 16 tent I bought from them had a dime size hole in the roof. Of course you couldn�t see it unless the tent was set up. Anyway, I called them up and let them know about it, and they offered to �Patch� the hole. Seeing as the tent was only a week old, and came flawed, I insisted on a new �replacement� tent instead. They weren�t happy about it, but seeing as I had paid for the tent & poles with a Master Card, they did replace the tent.

Then a few years later, I shipped the tent back to Davis to have a window, & screen door installed. While it was there, I also had them add an awning also. When you add an awning, you also have to buy more poles to extend the awning.

Well, Davis failed to swage one of the awning poles, so there is no way to fit it up to set the awning correctly. When I called Davis, they refused to ship out the one correctly swaged pole, unless I first shipped back (at my cost) the entire tent, with all the steel poles. Shipping a 14 x16 tent from CA to CO isn�t cheap (big & heavy), add in the cost of all the steel poles (long & very heavy), you�ve got a major cost factor.

That�s been a few years ago, and I still haven�t had a chance to get back to Denver yet, but when I do, I�m going to take back both the tent & all poles, and have them try to set it up with what they sent.

By the way, all the problems I had at Davis, was with the son. The Father was very gracious when I dealt with him.

Richard

Cat, the other white meat!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Good question! I'd ass-u-med from Tracks' post that Davis was a premium, expensive tent. If they are also competing at that price point, so much the better for all of us...

Price DEflation is another sign of the economic apocolypse, they say... But that's another thread <g>...

Maybe I should have checked the Davis website again, a couple of weeks ago they were more than that

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have been happily using a Davis tent for the past 5 years and have no complaints. I bought the angle kit and cut 1" EMT pipe for the frame-heavy but sturdy. I dealt with the senior Davis, and spoke with him several times before I bought the tent and a couple of times after. He was always helpful and seemed like a straight up guy. I hate to hear if things may have changed. That being said, I'd still pay a bit more for a tent made in the U.S. from a company I felt good dealing with.

Golden............
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tracks
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

Maybe I should have checked the Davis website again, a couple of weeks ago they were more than that

I just checked the Davis tent website. A 12X14 wall tent with the water repelent treatment is $603, The Bighorn I bought with the same treatment was $499.
I have had a 12X14 Davis for several years and I love it, but for a hundred less I thought I would try Bighorn.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm interested to hear how your new tent compares with the Davis quality-wise.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ranger1
I'm interested to hear how your new tent compares with the Davis quality-wise.

Me too!! grin
I suspect it will be somewhat inferor but it will be a second tent to be used for larger camps. For just 2 or 3 of us the Davis alone will be fine

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'll spare the details, but I learned my lesson about skimping on wall tents, and I'm guessing from looking at that picture that the one I had was the same thing, just re-branded. For you guys' sake, I hope I'm wrong.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know when up front price is high,I shudder.But I bought a good tent,it's still in very good shape after over a dozen weeeks of hunting.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Tracks, what's the verdict on the new tent?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have only used it once, in July. Seems OK, has some features I like. Door has the regular zipper but also has overlapping flaps with snap in buckles.
It got rained on pretty good while I had it up and didn't leak, then again in a real gully washer while I had it set up at home to dry.
I think it's going to be OK.
Still it's hard to beat a Davis because it's a know quality and is backed by a company known to provide good service.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just picked up a 12x14 Montana Canvas for $740 w/2 windows. Seems like a good tent but I've yet to use it. Gotta thank Saddlesore for his help in getting the frame together. No reason to buy a frame or the angles if you use his method.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Ranger1, please describe the pole system your using, as I'm always looking for ideas. Pictures would great too, if possible.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pretty much the same deal as the Davis Tent traditional pole system. Saddlesore can probably explain it better than I can. All of the parts are available at the local hardware store and it is fairly cheap. I even went as far as making canvas bags for the poles from some light canvas drop cloths that I got at the same hardware store. I'll put some pics up this weekend if I get a chance.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
708 members (204guy, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 73 invisible), 2,950 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,770
Posts18,401,519
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.