Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 21 1 2 3 4 20 21
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Lee
And I bet you learned all this on your family walnut farm with exquisite trees of new-to-the-World walnut species...

A clue... you haven't one...
art

Hey that's the way they did it in Lee's Enchanted Forest.

BP-B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
You kids probably think your gunstocks were cut from a Tupperware tree.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No Lee, we think you are "Special"...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
L
LRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
EDMHUNTER,

I know there is emotions (your farm and home grown) involved in this and hoping not to offend them. My advice is call a good woodcutter and sell the trees to him. Then take the money and buy the blank you want from a stockblank seller.

Your wish to do this yourself is admirable but save yourself a lot of time and grief.

You get to choose and what ever you do will be right for you. Above is what my experience says is prudent.

Save the Earth...its the only planet with chocolate!
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
You are right but I also wanted to make other things with the wood. I was also thinking about cutting some of the big oaks for projects. I am not doing it for money just for the memory's. I will have to get one of those clit guns to put it on!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1minute
............. mistakes can leave one with nothing but pile of nice smelling kindling.

Hmm? I always thought black walnut smelled similar to the quashed Grand-daddy long-legs we played with as kids. Nice smelling? NOT to me! wink

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Good advice, LRE. Sell that black walnut tree and use the money to buy finished stock, semi-inletted stock, or high grade blank of cured English or Claro walnut.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
LRF
Practical is not an issue on many of these things but I understand exactly what you are saying. As he has other projects, other designs he will obviously go with them....
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is also something about quarter sawn and other types of sawing, if you take the logs to a sawmill.

I don't know what these methods of sawing are. I read about them and saw pictures of them in books.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Quartersawing rips the log lengthwise down the middle, then rips each half in half, so you have 4 quarter lengths.

Each of those is laid bark side down on the table with the point (center of the tree) facing up at 90 degrees. Then boards of increasing width are ripped off this quarter log.

This has almost no waste except the sawdust, an the kerf can be kept narrow because you can use a bandsaw. The different angles of grain produce interesting figure in the boards. And the wood is more stable than just ripping straight down the entire log.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Another classic hit from Lee!!!!!!!!! He must have Googled the 1940 version of "lumbering" in America! This after posting how the log would be X-rayed and cut "Best Board Next"... Though he had/has no clue what that actually means.

Newsflash for those interested... Quarter sawing is the most expensive standard form of sawing because it WASTES a LOT of wood. Seldom is it done as described.

"Through and through" is the most probable, reliable and now they find, most efficient way to cut most logs. The slices through the center of the tree are quartersawn... growth rings are perpendicular to the sides. Because wood moves more from side to side than from center out it reduces total wood movement in a board/blank.

Because stocks may be positioned at an angle in the blank (especially if cut a full 3" thick!!!) quartersawn stocks are easier to get through positioning than when locked into a thin blank...

In general, boardsawn works best for displaying marbling in great blanks and quartersawn works best for most all else, especially fiddleback which almost disappears on boardsawn surfaces.
art

L
LRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
For what it is worth, the following may be the most true statement in this thread:
Newsflash for those interested... Quarter sawing is the most expensive standard form of sawing because it WASTES a LOT of wood. Seldom is it done as described.
IMHO

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another classic hit from Lee!!!!!!!!! He must have Googled the 1940 version of "lumbering" in America! This after posting how the log would be X-rayed and cut "Best Board Next"... Though he had/has no clue what that actually means.

art

Indeed. Glad I read down to see you had once again handed Lee his ass. Quartersawn is indeed the most wasteful and most expensive way to cut a log. Pretty much any woodworker of any experience can tell you that.

I dearly love working with 1/4 sawn white oak but the price keeps me from building anything more than about once a year with it. Let's not get into ammonia fuming to bring out specks and rays or we'll be subject to more Lee "knowledge"

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
L
LRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Pugs,
Try quartersawn Sycamore sometime.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LRF
Pugs,
Try quartersawn Sycamore sometime.

I'll take a look at my couple local providers. Thanks for heads up, I've not used it before.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by nimrod1949
Sitka,
didn't know Browning made 'Clitoris'! is that a non-catalog item?

Sorry, just a slip of the tongue.... er.... typing finger...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCUEsjXeFj4

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Lee24
Quartersawing rips the log lengthwise down the middle, then rips each half in half, so you have 4 quarter lengths.

Each of those is laid bark side down on the table with the point (center of the tree) facing up at 90 degrees. Then boards of increasing width are ripped off this quarter log.

This has almost no waste except the sawdust, an the kerf can be kept narrow because you can use a bandsaw. The different angles of grain produce interesting figure in the boards. And the wood is more stable than just ripping straight down the entire log.

amazing... dude just won't shut up about chit he doesn't know.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Quartersawn sycamore can be gorgeous and lacey, but tends to be quite unstable... If you use it I suggest going at it in stages when surfacing and giving it some time to stablize....

I would suggest skip-planing immediately when you get it and stickering, weighted, for as long as possible before use, as a minimum.
art

L
LRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
???????
Quartersawn Sycamore....wasn't difficult to work with at all!
[Linked Image]

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
had to laugh at Lee's treatise myself....

here's a great video showing the degree of waste in a quarter sawn log: (from the Taylor guitar wesite)

http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/features/woods/Videos/video.aspx?file=Spruce_2_High.wmx

couple videos here walking through various cuts of spruce,koa,maple, etc. (maple and grafted walnut may be most applicable)

http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/features/woods/Videos/

Page 2 of 21 1 2 3 4 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
666 members (17Fan, 1badf350, 09wingates, 007FJ, 160user, 73 invisible), 2,652 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,605
Posts18,398,346
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.