Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
Anybody help me out with the major differences?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
5. What are the major differences between scope lines?

With all of the recent changes, it can be difficult to know exactly how each product will perform. Every scope Leupold produces, including the Rifleman, is fully coated (all lenses, internal and external, are coated) and utilizes glass, coatings, and optical systems of equal or better quality than the discontinued Vari-X II�s of the past. Decreased cost associated with the Rifleman line is due to increased efficiency in our production process, not from reduced quality.

To make things easier, a brief summary of our current scope lines has been compiled including the most prominent features belonging to each.

It is important to note that every lens (internal and external) in every Leupold scope is coated, but the type of coatings will vary. �Fully multicoated� indicates that each lens in an optical system is coated with multiple layers of lens coating, such as Multicoat 4. �Fully coated� indicates that each lens is coated with a single lens coating; Leupold uses magnesium fluoride. �Standard multicoated� scopes have a combination of coated lenses and multicoated lenses.

VX-7

New for 2007, the VX-7 line takes full advantage of Leupold�s 100 years of experience. The VX-7 uses �-MOA SpeeDial adjustments which eliminate the possibility of losing adjustment covers. DiamondCoat 2 exterior lens coatings provide the highest level of scratch resistance ever offered. Xtended Twilight internal lens coatings work to optimize the wavelengths specific to twilight conditions, making the VX-7 the best low-light scope we�ve ever produced. The use of a 4-to-1 erector system provides a larger range of magnification, making this line the ultimate scope for serious hunters.

LPS

The LPS line uses �-MOA, low-profile, finger-adjustable adjustments; a fast-focus eyepiece; and our DiamondCoat lens coatings to provide incredible light transmission values with the addition of remarkable scratch resistance.

VX-L�

The VX-L was new for 2006, and uses �-MOA or 1/8-MOA adjustments depending upon model, has a fast-focus eyepiece, and utilizes an objective lens specially shaped to allow large objective scopes to be mounted in low rings. VX-L scopes use a combination of Index Matched and DiamondCoat lens coatings as well as edge-blackened lenses to produce extremely low glare and unprecedented light transmission values.

VX-III

The VX-III line was new for 2004, and uses �-MOA, low-profile, finger-adjustable adjustments and a fast-focus eyepiece. VX-III�s are fully multicoated and Index Matched to ensure that each lens has the best possible coating, producing total light transmission values higher than ever seen before.

Mark 4

Beginning in 2004, all tactical scopes are included in the Mark 4 category and will have the same features as past tactical models with the addition of a fast-focus eyepiece and Index Matched lenses; there are two exceptions which include the CQ/T and 3-9x40mm PR. The CQ/T has always utilized a combination of DiamondCoat (external) and Multicoat 4 (internal) lens coatings, and the 3-9x40mm PR is fully multicoated using Multicoat 4. 2003 tactical scopes typically had fully multicoated lenses utilizing Multicoat 4.

Vari-X III

The Vari-X III line (discontinued for 2004 with introduction of VX-III) has seen little change and is still optically the same as those produced in the 90s. Vari-X III�s utilize �-MOA click adjustments and are fully multicoated with Multicoat 4.

VX-II

The VX-II line (2003 and older) uses a combination of Vari-X III and Vari-X II (discontinued) technology. VX-II�s also utilize �-MOA click adjustments, but the lens coatings are unique. The external lenses are coated with Multicoat 4 and the internal lenses are coated with magnesium fluoride.
Beginning in 2004, the VX-II line is fully multicoated and will perform comparably to the discontinued Vari-X III line.

VX-I

The VX-I also utilizes a combination of Vari-X III and Vari-X II technology, utilizing �-MOA friction (non-clicking) adjustments. The external lenses are multicoated and the internal lenses use magnesium fluoride.

Rifleman

Though the Rifleman line of scopes uses a different maintube (for aesthetic reasons), it is optically the same as the Vari-X II (discontinued for 2001). The adjustments are exactly the same as the Vari-X II (�-MOA friction) as are the lenses and coatings. All lenses, internal and external, are coated with magnesium fluoride. Basically, the Rifleman is a newer-looking matte finish version of the Vari-X II that helped build the Leupold reputation. It is important to note that Custom Shop options (reticle changes, target adjustment installation, etc.) are not available for the Rifleman line of scopes.

Beginning in 2005, there were changes to the fixed magnification scope lines, updating them to follow the current convention used by the VX series of scopes; all fixed magnification scopes now have an �FX� designation followed by a number indicating the combination of technologies used in that product. For example, an FX-II will have the same lens coatings and adjustments as a VX-II, an FX-III will have the same lens coatings and adjustments as the VX-III line, etc.

There was also a shift from using the term �compact" to the term �ultralight,� meaning that the FX-II 2.5x20mm Ultralight which was introduced in 2005 will be a fixed magnification scope with �-MOA click adjustments, fully multicoated lenses, and will have the compact eyepiece.

VX-3

The Xtended Twilight Lens System� optimizes the transmission of low-light wavelengths, so you see the details of low-light scenes in greater, brighter detail than with any other riflescope available.
DiamondCoat 2� lens coatings on exterior lens surfaces provide the highest level of scratch resistance Leupold has ever offered.
The twin bias spring exerts up to 30 percent more holding force on the erector, virtually eliminating erector system backlash and stress on the vital internal workings of the scope, for longer life.
Blackened lens edges reduce light diffusion, so more usable light reaches the shooter�s eye, for a brighter image with increased contrast.
Most VX-3 models available with the Leupold� Ballistics Aiming System� for more accurate long-range shooting.
Leupold offers the widest variety of factory standard reticles available, see specifications for model specific options. Even more reticle options available through the Leupold Custom Shop.
Finger-adjustable, cryogenically treated, �-MOA click windage and elevation adjustments with resettable pointer dials marking the zero point.
Tactile power indicator also features built-in range estimation functions and graphite O-rings for easy operation.
Internally threaded, lockable, extreme fast-focus eyepiece with Alumina rubber eyepiece guard.
Most VX-3 models available in matte black, silver, or gun metal gray finishes. See specifications for model specific details.
Illuminated models feature second generation LED technology, nearly twice as bright as previous models, with multiple intensity settings for precise shot placement in low-light situations.
A durable Leupold Scope Cover is included to protect your valuable VX-3 riflescope during transport or when not in use.
Incredibly rugged, with absolute waterproof integrity using Leupold's proprietary Argon/Krypton gas blend.
As a final touch to the VX-3, Leupold mounts a 24k gold-plated ring and medallion to each scope.
Covered by the Leupold Full Lifetime Guarantee. (Electronic components of illuminated models are covered for two years by the Leupold Golden Ring Electronics Warranty.)

Last edited by jackfish; 10/05/09.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Good post (and explanation)!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Jackfish,mate very professional post mate. Excellent!

Our F1-11 gets retired this week. What a shame.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just a cut and paste from the Leupold site.

IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by jackfish
Just a cut and paste from the Leupold site.

Not sure why I couldnt find that. thank you.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Jackfish, that was a good explanation.
For the VXIII, new for 2004 uses among other things, a fast focus eyepiece.
Maybe I don't understand what is considered a fast focus eyepiece. I have 2 VXIII scopes, made after 2004, and the focus adjustment requires turning the eyepiece in or out several turns to focus them, then a locking ring to hold it in place.
I thought a fast focus adjustment was a ring at the rear of the scope that requires less than 1 full turn to focus it.
Would someone please enlighten me.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
You are comparing the Leupold fast focus to the euro version. They are much faster still. At least 4X faster. The ones I've seen don't have a locking ring which is one reason why I won't have one. E

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Thank you E. Apparently the VXIII models are faster focus than the previous models using the same or similiar mechanism.
I have seen the fast focus on several others, and you are right, they have no locking system.

thank You

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by warpig602
Anybody help me out with the major differences?

Price and advertising mostly.

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Bushnell pimp. grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A locking ring is completely unnecessary, at least on the couple VX-3's I've handled and my Conquests.

No WAY you are accidentally moving that focus!

On the other hand, the one scope I have had problems with in that regard is Leupolds with the locking ring. The ring comes unlocked and the focus moves...

Just a thunk.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When dead reliability, accurate tracking, excellent optics and the ability to hold zero with rough handling are paramount, you will upgrade to the 4200's as well.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
You took too long to come back. grin

I know you don't like the gold ring, but I can't get past the Bushnell blister pack styling. The 6500 is better, but still not there.

Besides I'm an eye relief junkie. laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When you have enough eye relief, more eye relief doesn't necessarily make one scope better than another. I don't dislike Leupold, but when there are better scopes out there for the same or even less money, I keep my options open. I have 4200's on my hunting rigs up to 300 WM and eye relief is a non-issue for me. The very best thing about Leupold scopes have nothing to do with the scopes themselves. Warranty, customer service and resale value. If I were buying used scopes then Leupold would be the logical choice.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Enough for me starts at about 3.5" and that's where a lot of scopes leave off.

I have a little Steyr Mannlicher carbine that I'd love to make into an all Austrian rig with one of Doug's discount 1.5-6x42 PH Swaros but I'm pretty much convinced the 3.15 inch eye relief would have the bridge of my nose testing the efficacy of the telescoping eyepiece. shocked

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Basically the glass itself has never been improved, just the coatings?

And the VX3 has an improvement in its adjustments and how it holds zero.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sir that was a great post. If you dont mind,one more question. What is the difference between a Leupold MK2 6-18*40 T1 and a VX-11 6-18*40 Target? As the prices a very much the same. Hope I havent mad knob of myself. LOL

Our F1-11 gets retired this week. What a shame.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My observations on the Bushnell Elites are that I don't want to spend a minute looking for a full sight picture when I shoulder a rifle. The eye relief is so critical that I wouldn't own one.

Ant264,
The Mark 2 has been a favorite among some long range shooters. There isn't much difference between the Mark 2 6-18x40mm T1 and the VX-II 6-18x40mm Target.

Leupold Mark 2 6-18x40mm Adj. Obj. T1
[Linked Image]
�-MOA click T1 adjustments with removable threaded covers.
The adjustable objective allows you to precisely focus parallax for 25 yards, 50 yards, 100 yards, 200 yards, 400 yards, or infinity.
The Multicoat 4� lens system delivers optimal brightness, clarity, and contrast in all light conditions.
Lockable, fast-focus eyepiece keeps your focus set.
The large power selector dial has a tactile power indicator and aggressive knurling to provide a sure grip in all conditions.
Available with the Mil Dot, LRV Duplex�, or Fine Duplex� reticles.
Durable matte black finish.
Custom Shop serviceable. Let the Leupold Custom Shop transform your Mark 2 riflescope into a one-of-a-kind shooting tool.
Tested to the same performance standards as Leupold Mark 4� optics.
Rugged and absolutely waterproof in all conditions.
Length (A) 13.5 in
Tube Length (B) 6.1 in
(C) 2.7 in
(D) 2.2 in
Eyepiece Length (E) 3.2 in
Objective Length (F) 4.2 in
Objective Diameter (G) 2.1 in
Eyepiece Diameter (H) 1.6 in
Tube Diameter (I) 1.0 in
Actual Magnification 17.1 (6.7)
FOV @ 100 yds (ft) 6.6 (14.5)
FOV @ 100 m (m) 2.2 (4.8)
Eye Relief (in) 3.7 (4.7)
Eye Relief (mm) 94 (119)
Obj. Clear Aperture 1.6 in / 41 mm
Weight 14.5 oz / 411 g
Elevation Adj. Range (MOA) 56
Windage Adj. Range (MOA) 56
List Price $749.99
Street Price $599.99

Leupold VX-II 6-18x40mm Target
[Linked Image]
The Adjustable Objective makes precision parallax focusing for specific distances easy.
Marked settings so you can quickly focus parallax for 50 yards, 100 yards, 200 yards, 300 yards, 400 yards, or infinity.
The Multicoat 4� lens system delivers optimal brightness, clarity, and contrast in all light conditions.
�-minute click adjustments for windage and elevation.
A lockable, fast-focus eyepiece securely locks your eyepiece once you�ve set your reticle focus.
The tactile power indicator makes it easy to tell your scope�s magnification with just a touch, without ever taking your eye from the eyepiece.
Attractive matte black finish.
Available with the Fine Duplex� or Target Dot reticle.
A durable Leupold Scope Cover is included to protect your valuable VX-II riflescope during transport or when not in use.
Rugged and absolutely waterproof in all conditions.
Covered by the Leupold Full Lifetime Guarantee.
Length (A) 13.5 in
Tube Length (B) 6.1 in
(C) 2.7 in
(D) 2.2 in
Eyepiece Length (E) 3.2 in
Objective Length (F) 4.2 in
Objective Diameter (G) 2.1 in
Eyepiece Diameter (H) 1.6 in
Tube Diameter (I) 1.0 in
Actual Magnification 17.1 (6.7)
FOV @ 100 yds (ft) 6.6 (14.5)
FOV @ 100 m (m) 2.2 (4.8)
Eye Relief (in) 3.7 (4.7)
Eye Relief (mm) 94 (119)
Obj. Clear Aperture 1.6 in / 41 mm
Weight 15.8 oz / 448 g
Elevation Adj. Range (MOA) 56
Windage Adj. Range (MOA) 56
List Price $684.99
Street Price $549.99

Last edited by jackfish; 10/08/09.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
The more the eye relief, as a rule, the more the eye box. Far more valuable to a hunter than many other considerations. My only objections to the Bushnell Elites is their much small eye boxes and added weight when compared to the Leupolds. E

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (007FJ, 1234, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 1OntarioJim, 01Foreman400, 69 invisible), 2,382 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,665
Posts18,455,794
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.