Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 20 21
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
LRF
Very nice!

Treating wood properly while drying will allow unstable stuff to be used, as you clearly show, but get a little careless at any number of stages and your gorgeous sycamore becomes firewood.

But I do love the look!
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
BP-B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Sitka, you have obviously have not time at the sawmill. I have to call you down for peddling our BS to the city boys here.

Plainsawn wood gets a little bit more wood out of the log, but much of it is going to cup when the wood dries. So what you gain in sawing, you lose more in planing.

Riftsawn wood, or radial cut to the center, wastes a lot more wood, because it requires a circular saw set to a depth of 1/2 the log, and produces a piece of waste wedge-shaped piece between every good square board out of the log.

I guess I'll have to take some photos at the sawmill so you will understand a little bit.

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
again with the photos..... (?)

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lee
Thank you ever so much! Nothing would please me more than learning more about wood from an obvious Master... Seeing as how I have an entirely different understanding of riftsawn as well... I was such a fool listening to all those other guys and reading all those books... Not to mention my own Damn Lying Eyes!

While you have you camera out how about snapping a couple photos of the SC 70, if it's not too much of a bother?
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Sitka, you may have refinished a few rifles and done a good job, but I own 625 acres of saw timber, am a third generation farmer of that grove of trees, and have worked felling logs and hauling them out with mule teams, to designing robotic logging equipment and computer aided sawmills. I designed and built CNC wood carving machinery, and sold stock blanks to Beretta for their SO series shotguns. I bave been building gunstocks for myself since 1967, along with a few friends who are serious hobbyists, serious in that you can't buy one of the rifles for under $5,000 second hand.

Your "understanding" of riftsawn is wrong if it was different than I explained. I will find some diagrams from a forestry school and post them.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I wait with bated breath...

I am so excited!!!!!!!!

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
Originally Posted by Lee24
Pictures of plain sawn, rift sawn, and quarter sawn...

http://www.hoganhardwoods.com/hogan/pages/technical/Technical_01/lumbersawing_02.htm

"In Mahogany quarter sawn lumber is termed "ribbon stripe". This method of sawing produces relatively narrow boards and creates more waste.
For these reasons (and the additional handling involved) quarter sawn lumber is much more expensive than plain sawn."

interesting how you managed to provide a link that discredits your own previous statement on the subject.

Originally Posted by Lee24
Quartersawing rips the log lengthwise ...
This has almost no waste except the sawdust, an the kerf can be kept narrow because you can use a bandsaw. The different angles of grain produce interesting figure in the boards. And the wood is more stable than just ripping straight down the entire log.

so, you're officially admitting you are wrong then ??

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
UtahLefty,

You simply don't understand, and will not understand, until you spend some time cutting wood with a circular saw and a bandsaw.

You won't understand about the waste due to having to plane out the cupping of plain sawn lumber, until you cut a tree, plain saw it, and air dry the boards for a few years, then try to size them.

You don't understand the fact that a fine piece of walnut is almost entirely wasted if you plain saw it into boards with mediocre figure, when you could have gotten lots more fine blanks out of a quarter sawn log.

You aren't an expert until you have done it.
You haven't done it. I have.

I don't care if you waste your own time and effort not following my advice. Just don't mislead others.

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
you're nothing if not entertaining Lee! Luckily no one really takes you seriously enough to actually spend money based on your google-fu.

If you weren't so busy digging this latest hole, you might have noticed:

a) I haven't offered any advice on this thread. I merely pointed out your two completely contradictory statements.

b) I don't feel the need to try to convince everyone I know everything about every subject. All the time.

there's quite a bit of assumption in the above post about my experience. that may be, shall we say, imprudent.....

wink

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Utah, you don't know enough to understand what I wrote or what you read on that web page I gave you. You think you "caught" me, in a subject about which you have no direct knowledge. That's pretty amazing.

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
again with the assumptions about someone else's experience....

here is a fairly simple concept in social interactions that has proven to be maddeningly elusive to you:

a.) I don't spend all my time here screeching about my credibility on a given subject because I don't have to .
People know me well enough (many in person) to judge for themselves the value of an opinion I might render.

b.) on occasion it's been pointed out that something I said was off the mark, whereupon I said "Sure, I can see that". (see point "a" above)

carry on. smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To bad he can't Google a clue

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
We're talking about cutting walnut stock blanks.

A few of you are talking about me, because you can't talk about woodworking. Why don't you mind your own business and keep your mouth shut in these topics where you know nothing?

I think we all know the answer to that question.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Damn, and here I was thinking I stepped in dogshit this morning............

Nope, just Liar24, back again.

Can't someone flush this turd, once and for all?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Would be refreshing if he took his own advise.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
It'd be more refreshing if he were to take a healthy dose of cyanide................

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I doubt it. He invented the antidote.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Now, if someone would just invent the antidope for Liar24.............

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Would you guys please stop distracting the Master?!? I am trying to learn something here!

NOT!

Page 3 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
661 members (257_X_50, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 257Bob, 12344mag, 1234, 77 invisible), 2,944 guests, and 1,387 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,668
Posts18,399,405
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.