Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 20 21
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
So, no comment on soft Turkish, rotting red oak and the rest?

Isn't it time for your meds? You do realize that anyone can Google something like Beretta for a buzzword, post it and sit back and watch you make an ass of yourself by going to the EXACT same page and claiming to consult on that very topic, don't you?

It has gone beyond humor and even well beyond pathetic...
art still laughing, but feeling a little guilty

I know what you mean about feeling a little guilty at laughing at Lee24, Art!

Showing Lee24 up feels like... well, I dunno! Perhaps like picking on the kid in the class who has Down's Syndrom must feel like -- you win the argument, but you would surely feel a little dirty!

John

BP-B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I skimmed some of the comments, and some Sitka thought he had "caught" me on what I said about trading red oak and yellow pine for maple and cherry. I guess he knows so little about woods and furniture that he thinks they are using oak for gun stocks, or he just doesn't bother to read before shooting off his keyboard.

Agains, Sitka, I make furniture, too, as well as fine paneling for my house. And I designed a line of woodworking CNC machines used for building fine yachts and pianos. That is how I come to work with lots of woods. You should maybe go to the International Woodworking Show in Atlanta; you might enjoy it, and learn something.

Actually, I do have a Yugo SKS with an oak stock, and another SKS with a mahogany stock, which is much lighter in weight.

On average, both Red Oak and White Oak are harder on the Janka scale than Turkish Walnut, but so-called Turkish Walnut mostly does not come from Turkey, so its figure, grain, hardness and other factors of quality vary widely. Woodworkers like it because it is easier to work by hand.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
RDFinn, to correct you - I never claimed to work for FN. I have been in their factory more than once. And Matt Williams never corrected me - you simply don't know enough to tell that.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I just stumbled onto this thread,

Did I understand properly? Did Lee24 just claim he invented just-in-time manufacturing AND robotics?

Wonder if he also consulted with Al Gore when HE invented the internet.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
Originally Posted by TexasRick
I just stumbled onto this thread,

Did I understand properly? Did Lee24 just claim he invented just-in-time manufacturing AND robotics?

yeah, pretty much. oh, and ship building too. and pianos.

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
No, I didn't claim to invent JIT manufacturing, but I have been applying it since 1981 as a manufacturing consultant to a wide variety of industries.

I have designed and developed, as part of a team, a wide variety of CNC machines for wood, aluminum and composites, from one to 4 tool heads, and 3 to 6 axes.

A yacht is a boat. A ship is not a boat. Now you learned something new.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Back to the original poster, who was being told that American Black Walnut is unfit for gunstocks.... this is patently untrue.

Black Walnut can be highly desirable for furniture and gunstocks. It is harder than European walnuts (including so-called "Turkish" walnut), and it is about 8% stronger in other measurements, like shear strength, elasticity, and rupture strength.

You can confirm this by consulting the data published by the United States Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Products Laboratory.

Last year, I posted a some photos of a rifle I had recently built, in my own Black Walnut. It is a takedown Mauser in 6.5x55mm, if you care to search for it.

There is a lot more to grading walnut than just the figure, but that is all the amateur can see.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by Lee24
RDFinn, to correct you - I never claimed to work for FN. I have been in their factory more than once. And Matt Williams never corrected me - you simply don't know enough to tell that.

lee24, you're slippery and hard to keep on task, but as i've said & asked before:
that's nice, but as i asked before: you gonna shoot or what?

Originally Posted by wmeek
Are you doing any Palma match shooting right now?
Maybe I could come shoot against you. Start a thread and post the schedule.

how 'bout the arizona state palma champ's - december 4-6, 2009, give you time to practice... (me too, as i haven't shot in awhile). but the question remains: which team were you on?? details.

a simple yes or no will suffice, remember however you made the original offer to shoot against me, i'm just trying to facilitate your request.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But of course you are denying that you worked for FN because Matt Williams called you out on yet another lie. I asked you directly if you worked for FN back when folks were asking about the new mod 70 when it was about to be released. I asked you how you knew about the new mod 70 and it's pending release and you stated that you worked for FN as a consultant and that you also worked for "various other firearms manufacturers" as well. You stated that you had taken pictures inside the FN plant and that you had them on your PC and needed permission to post them. Turns out the picture you posted was pirated from a newspaper article that you had nothing to do with. I don't know who you think you are trying to impress with your life failures and fantasies but I can assure you it isn't me.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lee
"On average, both Red Oak and White Oak are harder on the Janka scale than Turkish Walnut, but so-called Turkish Walnut mostly does not come from Turkey, so its figure, grain, hardness and other factors of quality vary widely. Woodworkers like it because it is easier to work by hand."

Please explain how this could be true. In your answer include exactly how the Janka test is run and what it actually tests.

Please explain how pore size affects the test and compare and contrast the three woods and their inherent pore size differences.

Also, please enlighten further on the soft Turkish and how much fun it is to work by hand...

Also, please explain how Turkish walnut can come from somewhere else and still be Turkish... My Turkish stash was hand-picked from stacks in Turkey, so I have a fair guess at its source.

That ringing sound when rapped with a knuckle... the one that lasts and lasts and lasts gives most people a pretty fair idea of its hardness...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Lee
"On average, both Red Oak and White Oak are harder on the Janka scale than Turkish Walnut, but so-called Turkish Walnut mostly does not come from Turkey, so its figure, grain, hardness and other factors of quality vary widely. Woodworkers like it because it is easier to work by hand."

Please explain how this could be true. In your answer include exactly how the Janka test is run and what it actually tests.

Please explain how pore size affects the test and compare and contrast the three woods and their inherent pore size differences.

Also, please enlighten further on the soft Turkish and how much fun it is to work by hand...

Also, please explain how Turkish walnut can come from somewhere else and still be Turkish... My Turkish stash was hand-picked from stacks in Turkey, so I have a fair guess at its source.

That ringing sound when rapped with a knuckle... the one that lasts and lasts and lasts gives most people a pretty fair idea of its hardness...

Art, do you have any idea how long it will take to Google all that info?

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
especially with dial-up!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
10-1 odds say he answers that it would be benieth him to try and explain it to such simpletons as ourselves.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by UtahLefty
especially with dial-up!

[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Now the trolls flip 180 degrees from claiming I know nothing, to admitting my information is correct, but,..but... I must have Googled it all.

LOL!
I actually typed it all. That's why you can't Google it up anywhere.

Next time, don't post about subjects that are someone else's career work, and you won't show yourselves as idiots.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
RWE
Think I will skip the beer and popcorn and go straight to some Irish whiskey from Nebraska, or some TN whiskey from CO or maybe some Scotch from AK... because they are all harder than the stuff they claim to make at their namesake locations.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Next time, don't post about subjects that are someone else's career work, and you won't show yourselves as idiots

spoken by someone who tried to school me in how to run a newspaper and on libel laws......[bleep] dumbass wont take your own advise....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lee
No flippydoo at all... You know nothing... not even enough to Google it right! You are so full of feces your eyes must be brown...

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Now the trolls flip 180 degrees from claiming I know nothing, to claiming I must have Googled it all.

LOL!
I actually typed it all. That's why you can't Google it up anywhere.

Next time, don't post about subjects that are someone else's career work, and you won't show yourselves as idiots.

but are ya gonna come shoot???

that's nice, but are you gonna shoot???

supply the info and i'll have a program sent to you

Are you doing any Palma match shooting right now?
Maybe I could come shoot against you. Start a thread and post the schedule.

how 'bout the arizona state palma champ's - december 4-6, 2009, give you time to practice... (me too, as i haven't shot in awhile). but the question remains: which team were you on?? details.

Page 5 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
588 members (160user, 219 Wasp, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 58 invisible), 2,415 guests, and 1,116 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,217
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.